Starblitz 3300 DTS - What type of connector on sync cord?

After the Battle

A
After the Battle

salon

A
salon

• Tel
  • Dec 8, 2022
Levenmouth

A
Levenmouth

Pub Station

A
Pub Station

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fusion_be
Recent bookmarks
Shooter
35mm
Hi

I have a Starblitz 3300 DTS flash that I would like to try on my Minolta Autocord. Unfortunately I dont have the sync cord and flash seems to use a proprietary connector type (not 3.5" jack). Does anyone happen to know what this type of connector is called and maybe where I can find one so i can make my own cable.

Thanks in advance

Morten

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
Welcome to Apug!

From a photo of it I found it looks like a 3.5mm, two-pole jack, BUT with the groove behind the rather long isolation.

The easiest way is to get some hot-foot to PC adapter shoe. Such got either a PC-cord hanging out our a PC-socket installed.

If for whatever reason you would like to use the flash as intended, I would try whether a standard 3.5mm jack still got appropriate contact and sufficient hold, you might tape it in place. If not and you cannot get that cord or such plug, instead solder-in a PC-cord.

OP
OP
Morten Corfitz
Shooter
35mm
Thank you AgX

The adapter is a very good solution - I think I will look into that. I have tried a 3.5mm jack and it is much thinner than that. From photo it could similar to connectors i have seen on Vivitar flashes but I have not been able to confirm that.
But with the adapter solution it does not matter :smile:
Thank you for your input

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
Well, there are classic 2.5mm jacks too.

The cord-to-flash connectors indeed can be very annoying. German manufactures had a tradition to use here the PC-connector too. But then Metz designed several propriatory connectors, hanging at cables that decayed still in their blisters...

Another advice, whenever you come along a rummage box with a cable that got a connector alien to you, get it. Some day you will need it.

Last edited:

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
Something different:
that flash has an array of contacts at its hot-shoe, but I do not see any switch for camera brands as with other such flashes (for instance King).
I'm puzzled. No chance of a mismatch?

OP
OP
Morten Corfitz
Shooter
35mm
Thanks for the tip on the 2.5mm jack - will get one and try :smile:
About the switch if I understand your question right. On the backside there is a switch placed under a translucent lid. With this you can set it to different camera system O=Olympus N=Nikon M=Minolta C/P is Canon and Pentax and S=standard use (the last being the one used for the Autocord I guess.

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
Yes, that is the respective switch.
I read its scale as some figures, but just now I found a good photo.

(These contacts and settings are for basic information exchange, as setting synchro speed, flash charged alert. Not for TTL communication as in SCA.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Morten Corfitz
Shooter
35mm
I just want to follow up on this thread in case someone needs information about this. The Starblitz flashes are in fact using microjacks - I have bought another Starblitz flash with the syncord included and bought some microjacks so I can solder my own (longer) cord and have confirmed that it works :smile:

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
From a photo of it I found it looks like a 3.5mm [2.5mm], two-pole jack, BUT with the groove behind the rather long isolation.

As said I never came across such version. Did you find that special version, or did you use a common 2.5mm audio jack?

OP
OP
Morten Corfitz
Shooter
35mm
No it was just a regular 2.5mm jack and it seems fine. The difference is very small - I will try to post closeup image of the two when I get home :smile:

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom