Threads
Members
Latest member
Fusion_be
Recent bookmarks

jtk

Shooter
35mm
I initially replied to Mr Hazeleton's queries about cataract surgery having myself recently had the surgery. I don't think this is an appropriate forum for discussing old men's medical problems, including my own any more than it is for political discussion.

Why are we so comfortable with "old men's medical problems" and so fearful of women's issues?

And, btw, cataracts are very common among women.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Why are we so comfortable with "old men's medical problems" and so fearful of women's issues?

And, btw, cataracts are very common among women.

Perhaps because, many of us are men "of an age".
And by the way, while cataracts are common among women, prostate problems are incredibly rare.😏

Now, can we please return to our regularly scheduled discussion - cataract surgery - which is only here because seeing is relevant to photographers and their ability to see!

Last edited:
Shooter
Multi Format
I initially replied to Mr Hazeleton's queries about cataract surgery having myself recently had the surgery. I don't think this is an appropriate forum for discussing old men's medical problems, including my own any more than it is for political discussion.

Having fairly healthy conditions are required to do photography. Especially when it comes to eyes, discussing what people do to help see better and improve their ability to practice our hobby, is certainly helpful to be discussed.

• beemermark
  • Deleted
  • Reason: off topic and political as well

benjiboy

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Having fairly healthy conditions are required to do photography. Especially when it comes to eyes, discussing what people do to help see better and improve their ability to practice our hobby, is certainly helpful to be discussed.

In this case, concerning photography Alan, as far as members' vision is concerned I tend to agree with you, but I don't think people's prostate problems and other symptoms of male advancing age, including mine, are suitable subjects for a photographic forum, like this one.

benjiboy

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Perhaps because, many of us are men "of an age".
And by the way, while cataracts are common among women, prostate problems are incredibly rare.😏

Now, can we please return to our regularly scheduled discussion - cataract surgery - which is only here because seeing is relevant to photographers and their ability to see!

• benjiboy
  • Deleted
  • Reason: one final word to far - funny, but not necessary, and we are trying to get this thread back on topic

pbromaghin

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Andrea Stillman blames Ansel Adams' cataracts for his strange late-career plunge into excessively dark printing. With them spreading light all around inside his eyeballs he saw light everywhere and was unable to detect the darkness.

benjiboy

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Andrea Stillman blames Ansel Adams' cataracts for his strange late-career plunge into excessively dark printing. With them spreading light all around inside his eyeballs he saw light everywhere and was unable to detect the darkness.

I had cataracts in both of my eyes before I had them removed, and my experience was they didn't so much darken my vision but diffused it, like looking through slightly frosted glass.

jtk

Shooter
35mm

fwiw I don't believe AA's "dark printing" had anything to do with "unable."

I knew others who did at least some of his "late career" prints. As well he supervised an exceptional scanner operator (I happened to meet the man), and that resulted in the very best books of AA's work (IMO of course).

• jtk
  • jtk
  • Deleted

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format

That does not align with the optological phenomenology experiences of people with cataracts. Frankly it brings into question Andrea Stillman's professionalism and understanding of optics and vision. Perhaps she would have been a better baseball umpire so that people could righteously complain about her calls. Cataracts cause loose of contrast, blurred focusing, and other phenomena that are not corrected by increasing darkness. Ansel Adams' shift to darker prints reflects the increased interest in photographs with more pop and much darker blacks that were preferred by the public.

jtk

Shooter
35mm
Many people (like me) go to eye docs every year or two because they're concerned about possible macular degeneration (which does make things dark, and which Ansel's biographer apparently never even heard of). D'OH!

...and can sometimes be treated if caught soon enough.

Lawsuit coming?

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
  • jtk
  • jtk
  • Deleted
  • jtk
  • jtk
  • Deleted
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom