Threads
Members
Latest member
Fusion_be
Recent bookmarks

iseolake

Shooter
Large Format
I have benefited so much from photo fora -- using search engines to answer questions I get. I've not participated directly so much. I'll start by an introduction.

My name is Tom and I've recently moved back to Tokyo, Japan, having lived in Portland, Oregon for a dozen years. I did quite a bit of photography in my senior year of high school and freshman year of college in the late 1970s. When I didn't have access to a darkroom, I only took snapshots. Digital changed nothing for me in that regard. I take more snapshots with digital, but, for me, the end game of artistic photography is producing a beautiful print. I am getting back into analog photography and have taken darkroom print classes with Tim Porter, here in Tokyo. <http://www.tim-porter.com/about.html>. It's great to be back.

At the same time that I am reintroducing myself to analog photography, I have become quite nearly obsessed with learning CAD, fabrication techniques and 3D printing, with the objective of modifying cameras. I want to make a grip/cage for my camera, as well as an adapter to mount additional lenses.

Camera: Convertible Horseman, MF modular rangefinder, completely manual.
Current lens: 62mm f5.6 Horseman
Desired lenses: a faster (f2.8) normal focal length (75mm to 127mm) lens, and a wider wide angle.
Film backs: Horseman 6x7 and 6x9, plate/cut sheet holders (sixth-plate and 6x9 sheet), Polaroid.
Film: Currently using Fuji Acros 100 120, as is cheapest here in Tokyo, and it works well enough.
Developer: Looking for one that I can get in Tokyo for a reasonable price. Prefer liquid one shot.

Future Camera: I'm thinking LF, a 4x5 field camera that can modify to 5x7. Open to suggestions.
If I buy a metal field camera: Toyo? Wista? Horseman? Linhof? Graphic? Or should I get wood?
Future film: I want to try dry plates, both sixth-plate size for my MF camera and LF later on. Maybe alternative processes.

Looking forward to learning more and sharing what I learn.

Photo: Convertible Horseman with lens removed. CH-Tom-Pic-Disassembled.jpg

Tom

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Welcome to APUG Photrio

Andrew O'Neill

Shooter
Multi Format
Welcome, Tom. I lived in Kyushu, just south of Fukuoka City for 12 years. Coming from a drawing and printmaking background, I got into photography while living there. I shot mainly 8x10. I get back over there every couple of years and usually bring along the 8x10, and 4x5 back. Down to my last box of Across 4x5! Main film though it's HP5. 5x7 is a gorgeous format, and I've been meaning to get a back for the 8x10.

mooseontheloose

Shooter
Multi Format
It seems strange to say welcome since you've been a member for so long, but since this is your first post, welcome! It's always nice to see another Japan-based film photographer here. Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

RattyMouse

Shooter
Multi Format
I have benefited so much from photo fora -- using search engines to answer questions I get. I've not participated directly so much. I'll start by an introduction.

My name is Tom and I've recently moved back to Tokyo, Japan, having lived in Portland, Oregon for a dozen years. I did quite a bit of photography in my senior year of high school and freshman year of college in the late 1970s. When I didn't have access to a darkroom, I only took snapshots. Digital changed nothing for me in that regard. I take more snapshots with digital, but, for me, the end game of artistic photography is producing a beautiful print. I am getting back into analog photography and have taken darkroom print classes with Tim Porter, here in Tokyo. <http://www.tim-porter.com/about.html>. It's great to be back.

At the same time that I am reintroducing myself to analog photography, I have become quite nearly obsessed with learning CAD, fabrication techniques and 3D printing, with the objective of modifying cameras. I want to make a grip/cage for my camera, as well as an adapter to mount additional lenses.

Camera: Convertible Horseman, MF modular rangefinder, completely manual.
Current lens: 62mm f5.6 Horseman
Desired lenses: a faster (f2.8) normal focal length (75mm to 127mm) lens, and a wider wide angle.
Film backs: Horseman 6x7 and 6x9, plate/cut sheet holders (sixth-plate and 6x9 sheet), Polaroid.
Film: Currently using Fuji Acros 100 120, as is cheapest here in Tokyo, and it works well enough.
Developer: Looking for one that I can get in Tokyo for a reasonable price. Prefer liquid one shot.

Future Camera: I'm thinking LF, a 4x5 field camera that can modify to 5x7. Open to suggestions.
If I buy a metal field camera: Toyo? Wista? Horseman? Linhof? Graphic? Or should I get wood?
Future film: I want to try dry plates, both sixth-plate size for my MF camera and LF later on. Maybe alternative processes.

Looking forward to learning more and sharing what I learn.

Photo: Convertible Horseman with lens removed. View attachment 205004

Tom

Warm welcome!

Black Dog

Shooter
Multi Format
Welcome to the Forum and enjoy your photography!

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom