Threads
Members
Latest member
Fusion_be
Recent bookmarks

everyXnewXday

Shooter
Medium Format
I have a Beseler Dual-Mode Duplicator and have had problems with the flash since I got it. The flash pops when when I press the button on the front of the unit and when I first insert a sync cable into the rear “sub-mini” pc sync port but no matter what I do I can’t get it to fire via the sync cable. I’ve tried firing it plugged into a hotshoe mounted safe-sync, via pocket wizards, plugged directly into an Om-1n, and Leica M2 and cant get it to fire at all except that it pops when I insert the sync cable into the unit itself. Any ideas?

Is it possible that the sync polarity is reversed and that’s causing the sync problems?

Also, does anyone know anything about the worrying reports I've read regarding the high sync voltage if your outlets are reverse polarity? How would one check to know if their unit is wired correctly? I've checked my outlets and they are correct, but when the M2 was plugged in I thought I could feel a bit of current in the camera (not a shock, just sort of a fuzzy vibrating sort of feel?) and sort of got a metallic taste in my mouth. Could be wrong, I really don't know much about electricity and want to be safe.

Thanks!

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
Is it possible that the sync polarity is reversed and that’s causing the sync problems?
Synch polarity only matters if two or more flashes are connected to one sync switch, thus either at one camera, or before that at some multiple plugs bank.

Truzi

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Alternating current can feel like a buzzing (fuzzy vibrating). If you are feeling that I would suspect a short and you should not plug it in again until further investigation. It can be very dangerous. If you don't know much about electricity you should have someone who does check the unit.

I don't know anything about that unit or the high sync voltage you mention, but polarity from your mains outlet should not make a difference regarding a short.

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
Also, does anyone know anything about the worrying reports I've read regarding the high sync voltage if your outlets are reverse polarity? How would one check to know if their unit is wired correctly? I've checked my outlets and they are correct, but when the M2 was plugged in I thought I could feel a bit of current in the camera (not a shock, just sort of a fuzzy vibrating sort of feel?) and sort of got a metallic taste in my mouth.

The mains outlet or the mains voltage has nothing to do with the synch plug and its voltage. That is a pure matter of internal circuit at the flash. However in any case it is DC-voltage. And it rests at that synch connector of your flash/duplicator from the moment the flash is charged.
Typically the synch voltage is lower than that of the flash tube itself, and the current running through that connector is much lower, but still it can deliver some electrical shock, when manipulating at its wiring.The blank surfaces at the connector itself are of a size and location that they cannot do much harm if just being touched.

Of course no one of us could tell if something is terribly wrong with the wiring of your device. In case of doubt get it checked by a knowledgable person.

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
If it fires when you insert the pc cable,the pc cable is shorted.

Bill Burk

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
Would have to be an intermittent or partial short for you to feel the electricity at the camera though.

Edited... On second thought you might short the sync circuit and still carry voltage across the wire... so that thought about intermittent or partial short might be wrong.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom