Zorki 6 curtain adjustment

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by nusproizvodjac, Aug 7, 2018.

1. nusproizvodjac

nusproizvodjac Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey everyone! I was repairing my grandad's old Zorki 6, which had seized completely, the speed selector was stuck on 1/30, the advance was rough, and the second curtain wouldn't travel all the way to the left when the shutter was released. I've managed to successfully clean and lubricate everything, but l'm running into a small problem regarding the position of the curtain laths. The first curtain releases properly, and completely clears the frame gate, but the second curtain lath, stops like in the second pic. However, the laths overlap as they should, about 1.5mm, so it's light-tight. Will the position of the second curtain lath affect the exposure somehow? Should i adjust the curtain drum by a tooth or two so that the second lath clears the frame gate, or should l just leave it be?

WP_20180807_16_13_40_Pro.jpg WP_20180807_16_14_09_Pro.jpg

2. lobitar

lobitar Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi. Off hand I should think the laths in the pos. seen in no. 2 pix. could give some vignetting. But isn't it possible to settle this question by inspection of the filmgate from the lensopening?
    By the way - since you are Serbian, you might perhaps read Russian? I have this Fed-4 camera, that according the the friendly dealer has belonged to a member of the (danish line) of the russian Romanov family. As you see, there is an insciption on the backside of the top deck. I can only read enough to just understand the word Kravtjenko ( or something like that). Could you (or some one else, perhaps?) possibly read this text, please? (It seems funny the date is given as 26.XII.662 - is this a russian orthodox nomenclature?). Thanks a lot for any help! DSC04469.JPG The camera is functioning very well - excpet two issues: The lightmeter is gone, and the trigger is somewhat unreliabel, as it has to be activated rather fastly to expose. But the rangefinder is accurate, and the shutter functions very well.

3. OP
    OP
    nusproizvodjac

nusproizvodjac Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't speak Russian, however l can give you an approximaion!
    For K.F . Kravchenko as a birthday gift from I. T.
    l don't know what R. Uchastka means however... :|

l'm gonna readjust the curtains, and make sure the laths clear the frame.

4. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    From memory the horizontal travel focal plane shutters in cameras I've owned, Yashica TL Electro, Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax SP1000, the second curtain was all that was visible in the image frame when the shutter was tripped. The laths were just past the edge of the image frame to 1/2 the lathe width past the image frame.

5. OP
    OP
    nusproizvodjac

nusproizvodjac Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yup, that's the way they should be. These are a bit tricky to adjust properly, reinstalling the curtains is the worst part, great patience is needed to get the tips of the rollers to fit in their holes on the camera body. I'll do that tomorrow, l also need to adjust the second curtain tension, l think it's taking tad too long to clear the frame, when l compare it to my other cloth shutter cameras.

6. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Then shutter is released, first curtain must be all way in and second must be visible. Partially.

Rabochy Uchastok basically means smaller working place with working collective (brigada, people working at same shift).
    Factory - fabrika. Zceh - specific, but large part of the factory. Rabochy Uchastok - small part of the Zceh.
    For example KMZ factory where this Zorki 6 was made. It has Zorki zceh and it has Zenit zceh.
    Zorki zceh has shutter assembly uchastok and Zenit zceh has shutter assembly uchastok.
    On rabochy uchastok each worker of brigada has working space.

So it is birthday gift to this person from his co-workers.
    In USSR for some reason it was not unusual to write day and year in Arabic, but month in Rome.
    Makes sense actually, to not have something idiotic like 03.12 and 12.03. meaning exactly same.
    It drives me nuts here, together with neanderthal miles, pounds and inches.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  7. OP
    OP
    nusproizvodjac

nusproizvodjac Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I almost exclusively use Roman numerals to indicate month, as to avoid the confusion that you speak of, l hate it when l see that month and day have switched places, it seems unnatural to me, but l guess that l'm not used to that, so that's why it bothers me.

8. lobitar

lobitar Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very many thanks to nusp. and Ko.Fe. with translations service. I now have to try to perhaps research who that person was, here in Denmark ofcourse. But thanks again!

9. Rudolf Karachun

Rudolf Karachun Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ok, since I know Russian better than any other languages let me try to explain you. The sign said U.F. Kravchenko in the day of birthday, from the U.T. r. department . It was definitely a gift from coworkers to that person U.F. Kravchenko. It was common in the Soviet Union to get a gift from the people with whom, or the company where you worked for a long time on the birthday, specially if it is a big birthday, like let say 50 or 60 years. So the U.T. (actually in Russian it is more like E.T.) mean abbreviation of some company or factory name, the p. what is Russian letter r. just abbreviation of the department, I cant be sure, but probably something like "repairing department" where that U.F. Kravchenko was working probably all his life.
    Same as un United States common to write the date in order mm/dd/yy in Russia and probably in some part of Europe it is more traditional to write the date in order dd.mm.yy. And very often to use Latin numbers for the month. So the gift was given on December 26 of 1966. The last symbol in the date what you misread as 2 in reality not a 2. It is more like mirrored English letter s, and in Russian it represent the abbreviation of the world year. That's all what the sign mean. Nothing there related to the Romanov family.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  10. lobitar

lobitar Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you, very much, R.K.! I think I have everything covered now. I also now see plain enough, that the last letter isn't a 2. By the way the nbr. of the lens is 6699900 which to me seems to indicate it may have been selected to be nice as a gift. Thank you again everybody!

11. lobitar

lobitar Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello, - thanks once again for help with translation! I also have this Zorki C camera, with a inscription on the back. I believe it says something like 'Festival'? Would you (or one of the other correspondents?) be kind enough to explain this inscription also? Thanks. P1010602.JPG

12. OP
    OP
    nusproizvodjac

nusproizvodjac Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, it translates to 'festival' but l believe it's an adjective, not a noun.

13. choiliefan

choiliefan Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Quite a few years ago while looking to buy a Zorki and Kiev on the bay I was surprised how many of these Russian cameras were engraved like these examples.
    Great stuff...

14. lobitar

lobitar Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks n. - could the meaning possibly be something like anniversary?

15. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  16. lobitar

lobitar Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  17. sylvain35

sylvain35 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Speaking about your curtain, if the stop is quite franck, wouldn't it be possible that you misplaced by one or two teeth the limiting gear ?

It's the gear in the shadow, half-hidden, at the bottom left, on the pic of mine :

zorki_6_shutter.jpg

maybe then the stop is too soon reached... so move by one or two teeth, and check again.
    For the other curtain, when it happen, could be lube missing on the drum spindle, or a dirty and/or unlubricated return spring.

Hope this helps !

18. OP
    OP
    nusproizvodjac

nusproizvodjac Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yep, i have most certainly missed the gear alignment by a tooth or two, but l've sorted it out since then, the camera has been cleaned thoroughly and lubed, so now it fires at all speeds like it should!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.