Members
Latest member
stiglet
Recent bookmarks

Dcexpressions

Shooter
Hybrid
Hey everyone,

I have a simple question if anyone would know by chance. I could just try myself but I’d rather not waste a roll of film experimenting. Lol

Given the high price of a Bronica WLVF, could I just shoot without my prism finder attached? I know some other cameras are doable this way, or will it introduce unwanted light?

Thanks in advance,
Derrick

cramej

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I was about to start typing "what high prices?".....wtf is going on with ETR wlf prices? Oh, right, the certain level of price fixing that has been going on with ebay. ☹️

Blad, Mamiya and other Bronica WLFs are less expensive, but prices overall seem absurd for what is a folding piece of sheet metal.

OP
OP

Dcexpressions

Shooter
Hybrid
I was about to start typing "what high prices?".....wtf is going on with ETR wlf prices? Oh, right, the certain level of price fixing that has been going on with ebay. ☹️

Blad, Mamiya and other Bronica WLFs are less expensive, but prices overall seem absurd for what is a folding piece of sheet metal.

Yea exactly! Like, I definitely have the $200 to spend but do I wanna spend it on such a small thing? No… lol

So I’m curious if shooting without the prism works or not on Bronica cameras.

cramej

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
You'd probably be more frustrated than anything using it without a finder. Any stray light pretty much destroys brightness and contrast on a focusing screen. Indoors might be ok, but outside would be unusable.

You could, however, probably fashion up a mat board "finder" and gaff tape it to the camera body.

OP
OP

Dcexpressions

Shooter
Hybrid
You'd probably be more frustrated than anything using it without a finder. Any stray light pretty much destroys brightness and contrast on a focusing screen. Indoors might be ok, but outside would be unusable.

You could, however, probably fashion up a mat board "finder" and gaff tape it to the camera body.

Ok ok… so what you’re saying is it would give a lot of glare, which is understandable. But it wouldn’t effect the film much?

choiliefan

Shooter
Medium Format
Before I found the proper WLF I made a rectangular shield out of glued balsa wood, painter flat black. It would be very easy to create one out of foam-core.
It's a friction fit...

cramej

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Ok ok… so what you’re saying is it would give a lot of glare, which is understandable. But it wouldn’t effect the film much?

Shouldn't affect the film at all. The mirror rises to block the finder during exposure.

wiltw

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
The reflex mirror of the Bronice ETR/SQ/GS must fully rise, blocking off any light from entering via the focusing screen, BEFORE the interlocks allow the shutter to open!
Besides blocking stray light entering the sides via the metal surround, an added benefit of the WLF is the magnifier which increases precision of focus.

The WLF was a $135 option in 1990...inflationary increases from 1990 to now make today's pricing 2.27x the 1990 price, or $306 for same item new today.

Last edited:

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
A WLF for a 6x4.5 camera is a strange accessory, because it is only convenient to use if you never take photos of subjects in portrait orientation. An upside down image held off to one's side is not ideal for cameras that were often employed handheld to take photos of people.
For that reason, relatively few were sold when they were current, and relatively few are likely to be found on the used market. Thus the high prices.
I have one for my Mamiya 645 Pro. I rarely use mine, but as a special purpose accessory, it is good to have.
At a local car show, a few years ago:
44a-2018-08-19b-res.jpg

Moose22

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
A WLF for a 6x4.5 camera is a strange accessory, because it is only convenient to use if you never take photos of subjects in portrait orientation.

Same here.

I have one for the ETRSi and use it for landscapes, where I like the WLFs. I sometime like to get down on the rocks and eyelevel finders mean crawling in the dirt. Not that I haven't done that to get a shot, but I digress.

I use the eye level finder and a grip like... 80% of the time, at least. I got the WLF with my camera, otherwise I don't know that I'd pay the prices they go for today. Rather get another lens, which are still bargains for the quality.

Nice car pic, BTW.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format

lxdude

Shooter
Multi Format
So I’m curious if shooting without the prism works or not on Bronica cameras.

Yes, you can just take off the prism. You don't have to have the WLF. But the comments about the drawbacks of no WLF are valid.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom