Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm F2.8 weight question.

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Chrismat, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Chrismat

Chrismat Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just took delivery of a Pentacon mount Zeiss Jena 180 2.8 lens, the more modern ML version. It's in great shape, but it's pretty heavy. Now I'm waiting to take delivery on an Arax 60 camera that I've ordered. I can't wait to use it, and for the vast majority of shooting I will be using a tripod with the camera but should I support the lens using something like a monopod? I'd like to hear from people who have used this lens and what they used for support, if any.

Chris

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  2. RSalles

RSalles Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi Chris,

Search for telephoto attachment for Canon tele, I have used one with a Mir 21B which is almost the same weight.
    [​IMG]
    You probably will find third part suppliers for one like this as the original Canon artifacts are brand price tagged,

Cheers,

Renato

3. BobMarvin11225

BobMarvin11225 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've never had a problem with just using the lens' tripod socket.

4. OP
    OP
    Chrismat

Chrismat Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Renato,
    Thanks.
    The Jena 180 does come with a tripod mount so I guess that pretty much answers my question although I have just read some older posts online from users who said they've never used any support.

BobMarvin, so just attach the tripod to the lens, not the camera?

5. guangong

guangong Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a early post war coated version of the Olympic Sonnar. Lens came with tripod support. Lens is much too heavy for lens mount to support lens. Even hand held...the lens needs a shoulder support to hold steady unless your other hobby is weight lifting. Great lens. After the war Nikon produced an f2.5 version that is even heavier and did not come with a tripod support. Had to improvise a home made support. You have a great lens!

6. BobMarvin11225

BobMarvin11225 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    "BobMarvin, so just attach the tripod to the lens, not the camera?

Yes, exactly. I have a quick release plate semi-permanently attached to the tripod socket on the lens. It works just fine. You DO need a fairly large tripod. I use an old Tiltall (with a Manfrodo hex plate QR adapter attached).

7. OP
    OP
    Chrismat

Chrismat Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks. I've been photographing off and on for more than 30 years, but I've never used a lens of this weight before. I have a Bogen 3021 tripod with a 3030 head, so I think that will be alright.

8. Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's heavy all right! Shoot at 1/500 or 1/1000 and you can prolly handhold just fine. 1/250 would be tougher to do. I used Bogen Hex plates when I tripod mounted mine.

9. MrclSchprs

MrclSchprs Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I too am struggling with the tripod mount on it. I find it a bit flimsy ... it works, but it is not a sturdy as I like it to be. The setup I'm using is the same as OP as I too mount it on an ARAX-60. A heavy lens on a heavy camera makes a very, very heavy portrait setup. Any suggestions, lens support options or other, alternative ways to make it more stable? (On a side note, I am using an old-fashioned, all-metal Tiltall tripod when outdoors and a heavy Linhoff double legged studio tripod.)

10. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just looked at photos of that lens. If one mounts a camera-plate metal-on-metal by 3/8" screw to the lens, that should be sturdy.

11. baachitraka

baachitraka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. baachitraka

baachitraka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    180mm f/2.8 is a stunner

13. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    I had the Zeiss Jena 180mm f2.8 Sonnar lens I got with a Pentacon 6 more than thirty years ago ( which in its original version was the Zeiss Olympia Sonnar designed for the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games and probably was dual purpose and could be given a couple of coats of grey paint and also be bolted to a King Tiger Tank.) It was quite a good portrait lens on a tripod but was a boat anchor to lug about, and I remember it took huge 86mm filters that looked like soup plates

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 8:50 AM
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. MrclSchprs

MrclSchprs Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  16. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hey chris
    i use that lens all the time on a similar camera ..
    the mirror can make an earthquake of a shake! .. i'd be more worried
    about that than the weight of the lens... ( unless you got
    an arax 60 mlu :smile: )
    i usually hold my 60 by the lens and then my arms against
    my body like i do every camera and i don't have issues with camera shake/mirror shake
    i dont' typically use hte MLU function because i don't use a tripod... ( and i shoot below 125S )...
    https://www.photrio.com/forum/media/overpass.58023/
    have fun !
    john

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 8:13 AM
  17. guangong

guangong Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have an Olympic Sonnar ( postwar) and the tripod mount is also massive. Also have the Nikon clone, tweaked to F2.5, which is also a massive hunk of equipment. Both lenses adapted to Hasselblad 2000FCM as well as 35mm Nikons, Visoflex and Leicaflex. I also have the 300mm Sonnar of same vintage, also equipped with robust tripod mount. I have always hand held the 180. Its mass actually makes it easier. The 300 is something else.
    My complaint regarding these lenses is that preset lens settings require quite a bit more effort than other preset lenses. Same is true of the Nikon. This makes rapidly fluctuating lighting conditions a pain.
    My lenses came with appropriate lens shades. These are a must. Russian 77mm filters are cheap.

18. baachitraka

baachitraka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The finish of that plate is not really upto the mark but it does the job and I can live with it. But you are serious about portrait photography you may have to look something better than that.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 11:46 AM
  19. baachitraka

baachitraka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the Zebra version bought on instinct and it needed CLA. I might have paid bit more than what it normally worth. Nevertheless, it is a stunner.

* Her sister Biometar 120mm is equally good. Only thing I could not find enough time to shoot using them regularly.

20. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Olympia Sonnar was originally a Contax mount lens; the postwar Nikkor was a double Gauss not a Sonnar.

21. MrclSchprs

MrclSchprs Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know :smile:

My setup consists of a Biometar 80mm, Biometar 120mm and the Sonnar 180

22. baachitraka

baachitraka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have added a 50mm Flekta to the group but never shot a roll till now and getting a good filter set for Flekta is as expensive as the lens itself.

23. baachitraka

baachitraka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are there any 80mm Planar lens available in P6 mount? Would be nice to know how this compares to Rolleiflex's planar.

24. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    The 80mm Biometar is an early Planar design. It was even used in the Rollei for a little while but I think those are rare. Schneider made a modern Xenotar for the Exakta 66. If you can find the Xenotar it won't be cheap.

25. outwest

outwest Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A late 300 f/4 is amazing.

26. baachitraka

baachitraka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will take your word and I am not disappointed with 135mm f/2.8 in small format world.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.