Your last new film camera

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by OlyMan, Jan 22, 2018.

1. OlyMan

OlyMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The last film camera I ever purchased new was a Minolta Dynax 5. I sold it to my brother in about 2007 and I think he still has it, no doubt collecting dust in a cupboard somewhere. My wife's last new film camera was her Nikon F65 which she still has.

You?

2. Nikon N75 June 2004. I had a Minolta X700 with many lenses. I was with my girlfriend at Bel Air Camera in Westwood while there were many vendors with their tables displaying their wares. Tamron had their newest lens the 28mm to 300mm AF zoom lens. My girlfriend won it. I needed a camera that would use it and the choices were Nikon or Canon. I had 20 minutes to decide before I had to go to the airport.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  3. colin wells

colin wells Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Have never bought a new camera .I always let someone else pay full price

4. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sears (Ricoh) TLS, c.1970. Still have it although it suffers from a congenital flaw in its shutter mechanism - the blades "bounce". I had the shutter replaced, but the problem returned soon enough even with the new shutter. I bought a used Pentax Spotmatic and never looked back.

5. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sigma SA9, 2002.

6. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    The only new camera I ever bought was a Nikon F2 that was subsequently after a couple of years burgled from my house one day when I was at work.

7. macfred

macfred Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The last film camera I purchased new was the Konica Hexar AF in 1994 - great camera, great lens - I still have one (but not my first one).

8. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the spring of last year, I purchased a Vivitar/Mazda 35mm point and shoot camera with built-in flash and 27mm lens that came in the original gift box with film, instructions, and warranty.

In the spring of last year, I purchased a Vivitar/Mazda 35mm point and shoot camera with built-in flash and 27mm lens that came in the original gift box with film, instructions, and warranty.

It was probably my last new film camera purchase.

[​IMG]

Last New Film Camera by Narsuitus, on Flickr

9. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Voigtlander Bessa R2S. Lovely little box, and will take the lenses for my Nikon S2, the f 1.4 and the Voigtlander 35mm and 21mm wide angle lenses. Now if I could find an affordable 85mm.....

10. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Reality So Subtle 6x6F pinhole camera, bought 2017. Various other pinholes and Holgas over the past ten years, all bought new. As for a proper full-fledged camera, the only one I have ever bought new was a Nikon N80, back in 2005, I sold it a year later.

11. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Olympus OM-4Ti circa 1987, still in use.

12. BayG75

BayG75 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nikon FE2, purchased in 1984. Still in use. All my other classic manual Nikons were purchased second-hand. To be fair, I would have bought a new N-series model in the 1990s, but I was given a couple of lightly used autofocus Nikons by my brother-in-law during that period.

13. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not counting the Zero Image 6x6 pinhole camera I bought a few years ago, then the ones last bought new are:

- 2005: Polaroid Image 1200
    - 2004: Nikon FM3a

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In 1973 I bought a brand new Nikon F2s, sometime early 80's a F3HP, last week I got a new in box Leica M6ttl silver 0.85. I did also buy a new D800, right when the D810 came out, I wanted the Sendai made 800.
    The Leica is what I have wanted for a long time. I had a black M6ttl 0.72 like an idiot I sold it. I always wanted the 0.85 finder in chrome, I found a mint silver 6 bit 50mm Summicron to go with it. :smile:
    Best Regards Mike

16. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Leica MP a la carte, seven years ago. Just shooting with it yesterday. Was in the darkroom today.

17. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    For now my last new film camera was delivered on previous Friday. Bessa R2M. They stopped making them. Just some still remaining stock of new Bessa left.

[​IMG]

I purchased it to take pictures with it. Came with new half-case, softie and spare fresh batteries.

Too new to me :smile: haven' printed, yet, just first roll scans.

[​IMG]

18. wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikon FG in 1982, when I was a high school yearbook photographer.

(Well, I've bought a Holga or two since then.)

19. apoglass

apoglass Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    An EL Nikkormat that I purchased new at the beginning of the 1970's. Its aperture priority exposure automation was a big improvement over my 1965 Nikon FTn with its match needle metering (also purchased new, a gift from my dad that still works great, as does the EL Nikkormat). The EL Nikkormat was my preferred SLR for many decades until my Nikon D700 purchased new in 2008, as I never found fighting with autofocus about what to focus on to be much of an improvement over manual focus. So in 50 years, the only innovations that prompted purchase of a new camera were the SLR, aperture priority exposure automation, the instant feedback of digital, and perhaps, in the near future, an electronic viewfinder with magnification to make manual focus easier. Of course, I now have lots of other 35mm and 120 film cameras just for fun, all purchased used, mostly at ridiculously low prices, after people started dumping them.

20. BAC1967

BAC1967 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Technically it was a Fujifilm Water Proof Quick Snap, very disappointing. This was sometime in the last decade for a trip to Saipan.

[​IMG]Fujifilm Water Proof QuickSnap by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

The last “real” camera I bought was an Olympus Stylus Zoom DLX I bought back in the 90’s for snowboarding. I still use it for that and it still takes great pictures for a point and shoot.

[​IMG]Olympus ∞ Stylus Zoom DLX by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

[​IMG]Power Lines at Stevens Pass by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

21. mikemgb

mikemgb Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Leica Sofort that I bought at the beginning of last year. Prior to that it was a Fuji APS bought in 1995. I still use the Fuji but I'm down to my last 3 rolls of frozen film.

22. Xia_Ke

Xia_Ke Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Only new film camera I have ever purchased was a Zero Image 2000 "Back to Nature" in February 2016. Unfortunately, I didn't get into photography until the digis really started to take over in the mid/late 2000s and by that point there weren't really many new film camera options, at least not for my budget at the time.

23. TerryMcC

TerryMcC Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    My last new film camera was a Nikon F-801. Loved it, used it for years, only replaced it in 2006 with a Canon 20d. Would have bought a Nikon digital but Canon was far ahead of the game at the time.

24. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    my last new film camera might just be the first camera i ever got, a k1000 .. IDK
    about 12 years ago i got a holga from the local pro shop
    it might have been pre-owned, it was kind of weird though,
    it came in a different box than the model it was ,,

25. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The last film camera I bought new happened around 1995(?), it was a Canon Elph Jr, an APS thingie about the size of a pager that gave an excellent account of itself.

Of course I have acquired four medium format cameras 'new to me' since that time. :whistling:

26. Kodachromeguy

Kodachromeguy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My last new film camera was a Fuji GW690II that I bought from B&H in 1991. It is big and clunky to use but has amazing optical quality. In 2016, I broke it (I know, I know, I was a klutz) on my Route 66 trip, so I sent it to Fuji repair from a little town in Arizona, thanks to a helpful UPS store. Thereafter, I continued my trip with digital only ☹. Lesson: take a spare film camera, even if only a compact 35mm. The example below is Drew, Mississippi, taken on Kodak Panatomic-X film.

Office-DrewMS_20140308_cleaned2_resize.JPG

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.