yellow stain at top of impossible film photos

Discussion in 'Instant Cameras, Backs and Film' started by Ces1um, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Ces1um

Ces1um Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So I've now tried four packs of the newest generation of impossible film. I'm noticing that in some of the colour shots that I'm getting a yellow stain at the very top of the photo. It's much more pronounced in their black and white film and I've noticed it in every shot in that pack. These stains showed up approximately two days later, after being left to cure in a light proof box, and were not initially visible. I've seen a similar thread about their 8*10 film but that film does not have an acid in the upper trap to neutralize the development chemicals. I have several packs more of film coming in the mail and will have the chance to see if this is unique to my first batch or not. Has anybody else noticed this in their sx70 integral film?

2. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not seeing it on the Spectra version of the film - but it has a manufacturing date of 2016.09

3. OP
    OP
    Ces1um

Ces1um Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine is fairly fresh stuff- made in May 2017. Very noticeable in the black and white. Much less so in the colour but it is noticeable especially if the background colour is lighter. Not sure what's going on. Hasn't gotten any worse since it first appeared. I have a few more packs coming. I guess we'll see what happens with those packs. Maybe it's just a fluke. I"m also bringing my camera in to the camera repair centre to have it looked at. Maybe it's something wrong it it too?

4. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you contacted the people at Impossible Project?

5. OP
    OP
    Ces1um

Ces1um Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had about a previous issue very recently, but not about this one, no. From what I've learned online I'm just supposed to understand that it's going to be flawed and suck it up. That way cognitive dissonance will set in nicely and I'll accept the result as artistic. The strange thing is some shots turn out so well, and others just so poorly and there's little rhyme or reason to it.

6. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    It seems to me that our early Kodak Instant Film used to sometime have dark 'grunge' at the top (trap end) of the picture caused by high developer layer thickness going into the trap. You didn't see it right away after developing.

7. OP
    OP
    Ces1um

Ces1um Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So an interesting thing happened to me on the weekend. I took a photo and the very top of the picture "popped". There was blue chemical all over the back of the photo. Obviously either my rollers are squeezing the photos harder than they should or impossible is overfilling their photos with chemistry. This is exactly where I'm getting that yellow stain on the top of my photos. I've shot three more packs over the weekend and when I look closely I can see that darker stain on every photograph, it's just more noticeable on the black and white film. Unfortunately at the same time my Q flash stopped functioning. I think it's the contacts in the camera and not the flash unit itself as you can still test fire the flash. That and the very noticeable electrical smell coming out of the camera at the time. Oh well. C'est la vie. I have 10 more packs to shoot and once they're gone I think my foray into polaroid may be over. I've gotten some okay results but for the cost vs quality I'll probably just stick with 35mm. That is unless the impossible project reveals something amazing on the 14th.

8. chdorner

chdorner Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm experiencing a similar issue with the B&W 600 film (also I-Type). But it only shows up approximately 2-3 months after I shot the photo. I'm putting the photos in a more or less light proof box (just a normal cardboard box).

I don't see any of these yellow stains appearing on the colour ones.

9. OP
    OP
    Ces1um

Ces1um Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How do you like the I-1? I just ordered their new onestep 2 but I always thought I'd like the I-1. Lots of tools with it (I especially like the ring flash idea).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.