Yashica Mat-124

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by campy51, Mar 8, 2018.

1. campy51

campy51 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know everyone seems to want the 124G more, but I don't understand why. Is it because it's all black? I happen to like the looks of the 124 more. I paid $20 for one in mint condition with a case and I couldn't be happier. I have film on the way so I hope to test it this weekend.

2. cramej

cramej Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Newest body of the Yashicamat line, battery powered meter, has G in the name? Somehow, in the early to mid-2000's it became the 'go-to' for college students wanting to 'get into' medium format since they couldn't afford a 'cord or 'flex.

3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I prefer the 124 (NON G) model too. The G only stands for gold flash contacts, at that point in manufacture, the G model got some plastic internals to save weight and costs. The non G is much sturdier.

4. moto-uno

moto-uno Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I concur , having had both the 124 & 124G , the non G is definitely more sturdy. The G has both a plastic lens board and plastic nuts holding the lens to it . And that old light meter is nothing to put much faith in any more. Peter

5. OP
    OP
    campy51

campy51 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This was definitely one of my better bargains considering it's truly mint. The aperture dial was very difficult to go larger than f8 but after getting it to f3.5 and letting it sit overnight it all works fine now. Must have gummed up from sitting for years unused.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  6. mweintraub

mweintraub Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use the C (sold my original 'Mat' for this) and love the simple triplet lens.

7. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recall that as the mid 1970s

8. voceumana

voceumana Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used the original Yashica-Mat 124 (no G) model when I was in high school and thought it a fine camera.

9. Dennis-B

Dennis-B Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I used the "plain" G model for years as a wedding camera. Got lots of great photos, and never a minute's problem with it. It had a real solid feel and sound to it when advancing the film. It was replaced in the late 1980's by a Mamiya C330s.