Wow, seriously Black Glycin!

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by RidingWaves, Feb 26, 2009.

1. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Mixed up some Edwal 10 today, I had some extra Metol and Glycin to use, and the Glycin was pretty dark and when I mixed it (15g) it looked like a bad cup of Yuban! Really really dark. Will this be still worth doing a test roll in?

2. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It will work but how well is anyones guess.

3. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I once was given most of a pound of glycin from an older photographer who no longer had interst in the darkroom, it looked like Hershey's instant chocolate; the kind you mix with mix.

Anyway, I never used it on film, but it made a barely passable print dev. Times were long capacity was short, but it did leave a slight "warm" tone to the prints.

If your glycin is really black, do you want to waste film on it?

Put a neg into the enlarge and fire up a test strip. You might be able to use it as a print dev.

4. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glycin keeps very well in solution, but terribly as a powder, unfortunately.

I've read a few times about people keeping it in airtight containers evacuated of as much air as possible, and freezing it. Supposedly this helps, but I've yet to try it. My Ansco 130 stock solution lives for two years, which is long enough to use up the 9 litres of stock that 100 grams of glycin will make.

Test, by all means (on unimportant things) but black glycin sounds to me like glycin that's too far gone.

5. OP
    OP
    RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Arrgh, yes it does kinda look like chocolate. I was going to try it on a test roll snip to see if anything comes up. It was stored in black plastic, in Ziplock, in another airtight tupper-ware container, but I'm thinking its at least several years old.

6. haryanto

haryanto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My Glycin bought 2 years ago stored in freezer half full bottle still white, better to test it if is dark brown like Jim said

7. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Really dark glycin, more than a few years old, usually doesn't work at all. Even after a couple of years glycin loses activity and starts staining things.

8. OP
    OP
    RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Ok next batch goes to freezer!

9. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Also they told me at the Formulary that they make Glycin every two weeks so I plan my use a little bit and it seems like there is always something else to buy when I need it!!..Evan Clarke

10. Saganich

Saganich Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've been using 250ml glass bottles and filling them with glass beads to take-up air space as I aliquot the stock developer. Been working quite well not a hint of oxidation in 8 months of light use.