Wirgin/Edixa SLR repair?

Discussion in 'Antiques and Collecting' started by Andy McRory, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Andy McRory

Andy McRory Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I received a beautiful 1958-9 Edixa (Wirgin) Model C SLR this spring from a friend in Germany. It was her grandfather’s and she wanted it to go to someone who would actually use it (enter: me). The camera is in great exterior shape and has some fabulous M42 lenses (including a fairly rare Rodenstock 50mm) that won’t work on any other SLR because of their flange depth (hit the mirror).

I’ve run a roll of Acros through it: the selenium meter is dead, as I expected. The photos look terrific except they are underexposed about 1/3-way through the frame, which says “dragging curtain” to me. Also, the slow shutter speeds are pretty useless (old lube). Definitely needs a CLA.

Unfortunately, I can’t find anybody in the US who wants to touch this thing. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ellis & Newton in Liverpool, UK, would service. They aren't very sophisticated but did need careful assembly and adjustment as parts were a bit imprecise, but I've heard of plenty given a CLA still working well. A good independent workshop should easily be able to do what you need. Or search Youtube for a DIY alternative, I've restored two Pentax S1a cameras bought for parts just with a bit of a clean and lube with a fine point paintbrush :D

Ian

3. OP
    OP
    Andy McRory

Andy McRory Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thx, Ian! You’d think there’d be people willing to work on them, but every place I’ve contacted (reputable, works on German brands, etc.) said “no way” when they found out it was a SLR. But a Rangefinder? All day long...

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a much earlier Edixa to service, it's a 9x12 camera with a focal plane shutter, designed to be able to switch from the FP shutter to use the Compur leaf shutter the 135mm f3.5 Tessar is mounted in. It's really a German Press camera.

I'm surprised that you can't find a repair shop in the US, we are luckier in the UK, after all event the Leica factory send their restorations to be done by Malcolm Taylor in Herefordshire, and companies like Ellis Newton will tackle just about anything.

Ian

5. mnemosyne

mnemosyne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format