Will there ever be another photographic movement?

Blackpool Pier

A
Blackpool Pier

Linda

A
Linda

I want to join the Circus

A
I want to join the Circus

Lith on Bromide

A
Lith on Bromide

Stone monoliths

Stone monoliths

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lion
Recent bookmarks

DREW WILEY

Shooter
8x10 Format
Oooops ..... Seems I've stepped on some toes of real Artistes. But I'm waiting to come out of my cocoon of dismal ignorance when they finish building the Museum of Underwater Disposable Cameras.

OP
OP
warden

warden

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Oooops ..... Seems I've stepped on some toes of real Artistes. But I'm waiting to come out of my cocoon of dismal ignorance when they finish building the Museum of Underwater Disposable Cameras.
Thanks for once again shining your beam of trollish negativity on us all. You are nothing if not a reliable drag on the conversation.

DREW WILEY

Shooter
8x10 Format
Don't confuse the latest gimmick fad with any kind of "art movement", or there would be a new one of those every time a new App comes out for a cellphone camera, which seems to be every six weeks or so. Might as well be Hoola Hoops or Selfie Sticks all over again.

Luckless

Shooter
Multi Format
Full disclosure - I'm giving my answer to the original question and haven't read the thread yet.

I don't think there will be another movement in the broad sense. Here is why. Every artform goes through movements until it reaches a point in its maturity where all the major developments have occurred, and there is no longer anywhere to go en-masse. Once an artform hits this wall, creative directions become much more splintered. Depending on your viewpoint this is seen in different ways. Some see it as a crisis, others see it as a new freedom. Etc.

You can point to this across all artforms. What differs greatly is the amount of time it takes for an artform to reach this point. Technology has a lot to do with that.

So, what exactly is the difference in one of those splinters heading off in a given direction with enough practicing followers to form a clear definition and attract broader attention to their work outside of the group itself, and the traditional 'photographic movements' of the past?

Other than there being more modern splinters, and documentation and discussion of them is able to spread around the globe faster?

Pieter12

Shooter
Super8
Don't confuse technique with a movement. Pictorialism used different techniques to achieve their desired images. In painting, pointillism was a technique used by some expressionists, action painting a technique employed by some abstract expressionist painters.

eddie

Shooter
Multi Format
Does your pomposity have any limit?

removed account4

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
Oooops ..... Seems I've stepped on some toes of real Artistes.
Are you the same DREW WILEY saved in the way back machine .. ?
pretty hilarious that it OK for your bio to be filled with artiste- "art speak" yet if someone else uses the same lingo you insult them ?

DREW WILEY

Shooter
8x10 Format
Are we all having fun now? Or is that outlawed if you use a "fun" camera? A gimmick is a gimmick is a gimmick. And if it weren't for endless gimmicks, the word "art" itself would soon go obsolete.

removed account4

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
A gimmick is a gimmick is a gimmick
hate to tell you that style camera has been around since the 1800s. its as much of a gimmick as the 8x10 you say you use but claim your images are too good to be displayed on the internet. talk about a gimmick.. LOL

DREW WILEY

Shooter
8x10 Format
I don't think I could stir up as such big a hornet's nest if I had mocked a batch of Leica collectors. But I gotta give ya credit for commending the web as your preferred display option; that makes sense. I suppose I could reduce an 8x10 shot to 1/8 scale and put a tea strainer over the lens to attain web pictures worthy of the club.

Pieter12

Shooter
Super8
Off on a tangent again, a good photo will transcend its presentation on the internet. Not that it can come close to seeing an original print--but books often fall short there, too. It should not be an excuse to not present images unless you don't want them seen or subject to the often absurd criticism and theft.

Don Heisz

Shooter
35mm RF
One would like to think a movement is a consistent application of a methodology within a particular artform that, at least in appearance, conforms to the dictates of some ideology.

Lomography does that.

removed account4

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
I don't think I could stir up as such big a hornet's nest if I had mocked a batch of Leica collectors. But I gotta give ya credit for commending the web as your preferred display option; that makes sense. I suppose I could reduce an 8x10 shot to 1/8 scale and put a tea strainer over the lens to attain web pictures worthy of the club.
it’s too bad every post you make is condescending and passive aggressive.

bunktheory65

Shooter
35mm
I would consider lomography a "movement". It doesn't have the endorsement of serious galleries, not unexpected since it is actually a movement in reaction to "serious photography".

There are several phases of Lomography concept.

The purest description is to simply get out a camera and take photos. If it looks good, just shoot it.

The second phase of Lomography was and is the use of outdated film, pre exposed film, film with strange color shifts metropolis for example, to make the resulting picture bizarre and unexpected. And a waste of time, and money on expensive film and processing.

The third phase is selling their cameras to people.

The last phase of Lomography is the interesting one. It seems it is about an attempt to make an image using a camera and film, that is NOT edited, and that is left as is. The use of the color shifting films is common, but they seem to be using those in an attempt to mimic the new wave music and videos.
IE the color shifting film, used with colored lipsticks, to make the final negative image different without the use of editing.

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
Interesting line up phases of the Lomography "movement" and business.

One point though I see differently: As the name already indicates that movement and business started with using a certain compact camera, namely the Lomo LCA. And the Lomography business started with importing and retailing just this very camera.

removed account4

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
I would consider lomography a "movement". It doesn't have the endorsement of serious galleries, not unexpected since it is actually a movement in reaction to "serious photography".
aren’t we in a time period where brick and mortar galleries and the gallery system is being dismantled? I
==
Maybe we are in a (photographic) art for arts sake movement? And the lomo type camera picked up after the brownie craze of the late 1800-1970s?

foc

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
IDK
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...tender-moments-stark-contrasts-and-a-magical-
doesn't seem like trash heaps and rusted cars. looks like people making photographic art for the sake of making photographic art. ( with a phone )

I don't think politics has anything to do with it and politics most likely doesn't have anything to do with this thread. I think people like making photographs of things they like to make photographs of, and believing and seeing they can be creative without being Michelangelo or Whistler,

Thanks for the link. Some great images are shown.
Just proved that it's not the camera (or phone) that counts but the eye behind it.

removed account4

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
There are several phases of Lomography concept.

The purest description is to simply get out a camera and take photos. If it looks good, just shoot it.

The second phase of Lomography was and is the use of outdated film, pre exposed film, film with strange color shifts metropolis for example, to make the resulting picture bizarre and unexpected. And a waste of time, and money on expensive film and processing.

The third phase is selling their cameras to people.

The last phase of Lomography is the interesting one. It seems it is about an attempt to make an image using a camera and film, that is NOT edited, and that is left as is. The use of the color shifting films is common, but they seem to be using those in an attempt to mimic the new wave music and videos.
IE the color shifting film, used with colored lipsticks, to make the final negative image different without the use of editing.

so all that outdated film should just be wasted and thrown out even though someone wants to buy it and pay someone to process it ?
what if the people using whatever camera it is ( whether it is a Lomographic camera, or a Hasselblad or Leica or Pentax or ... ) likes shooting expired film
and has no problem with the color shifts or fog or print quality or inherent mistakes from the film? if you have used this sort of film before, whether it is color or black and white, nothing is really unexpected or bizarre its just a look and style of the film and camera. photography doesn't have to be technically perfect or 8x10 velvia exposed in an ebony that was hiked to the top of smokey mountain ridge it can be whatever the person wants. besides they are enjoying themselves and if someone is enjoying themselves and not bothering anyone how is that a waste of time?

... and get out and shoot —— that's what's kept the film industry alive for 100+ years and most recently since Perez claimed photography was dead, and dismantled and deconstructed the photographic industry as it had been known for 100 years, it was people with lomo &c cameras shooting from the hip and enjoying themselves that kept film photography possible .. people spending money on film and consumables and either processing it themselves or bringing it to a lab .. nothing wrong with if it looks good just shoot it, that is what the decisive moment is all about. shifting the color on lipstick has been a trend since the 1920s/30s when portrait photographers used orthochromatic film on purpose ( like good old tri x ortho ) and red lipstick turned black &c. nothing new.
Thanks for the link. Some great images are shown
your welcome !
I thought so too :smile:

bunktheory65

Shooter
35mm
so all that outdated film should just be wasted and thrown out even though someone wants to buy it and pay someone to process it ?
what if the people using whatever camera it is ( whether it is a Lomographic camera, or a Hasselblad or Leica or Pentax or ... ) likes shooting expired film
and has no problem with the color shifts or fog or print quality or inherent mistakes from the film? if you have used this sort of film before, whether it is color or black and white, nothing is really unexpected or bizarre its just a look and style of the film and camera. photography doesn't have to be technically perfect or 8x10 velvia exposed in an ebony that was hiked to the top of smokey mountain ridge it can be whatever the person wants. besides they are enjoying themselves and if someone is enjoying themselves and not bothering anyone how is that a waste of time?

... and get out and shoot —— that's what's kept the film industry alive for 100+ years and most recently since Perez claimed photography was dead, and dismantled and deconstructed the photographic industry as it had been known for 100 years, it was people with lomo &c cameras shooting from the hip and enjoying themselves that kept film photography possible .. people spending money on film and consumables and either processing it themselves or bringing it to a lab .. nothing wrong with if it looks good just shoot it, that is what the decisive moment is all about. shifting the color on lipstick has been a trend since the 1920s/30s when portrait photographers used orthochromatic film on purpose ( like good old tri x ortho ) and red lipstick turned black &c. nothing new.

your welcome !
I thought so too :smile:

Shooting with a camera, one wants the image on the view finder to be the image on the negative. I dont know any SERIOUS picture taker who wants to take a shot and have the final image to be mashed about with random shapes that were randomly pre exposed onto the fil.

Nothing says bad or insult more then to take a photo and have half of it be star fish shapes. Or the color shifting films based on exposure... those are tricky, when every 50 iso change from 100 to 400 will give the film completely different color performance and bias.

removed account4

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
Shooting with a camera, one wants the image on the view finder to be the image on the negative. I dont know any SERIOUS picture taker who wants to take a shot and have the final image to be mashed about with random shapes that were randomly pre exposed onto the fil.

Nothing says bad or insult more then to take a photo and have half of it be star fish shapes. Or the color shifting films based on exposure... those are tricky, when every 50 iso change from 100 to 400 will give the film completely different color performance and bias.

so what's wrong with someone enjoying themselves in this way? is it you don't approve or they aren't "serious" ?
I've been shooting expired film for about 20 years I have never heard of color shift like you have mentioned. can you post a link to the film
and examples of images that exemplify what it is you are talking about ? sounds fun.
btw I am kind of serious ..

bunktheory65

Shooter
35mm
so what's wrong with someone enjoying themselves in this way? is it you don't approve or they aren't "serious" ?
I've been shooting expired film for about 20 years I have never heard of color shift like you have mentioned. can you post a link to the film
and examples of images that exemplify what it is you are talking about ? sounds fun.
btw I am kind of serious ..
go to lomography website store. The metropolis film is the one that comes to mind quickest. Go dig through their inventory. Film photo project store has more stuff in the pre exposed film market.

metropolis, it changes color saturation, color bias, etc based on how it is set in the ISO dial. ie take photos with it as 100 you may have everything with a red tint/red filter effect, 200, 300, 400 different color casts.

OP
OP
warden

warden

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
For those interested there is a show hung until mid January in NYC on the subject of the Black is Beautiful movement.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/23/...ytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
For those interested there is a show hung until mid January in NYC on the subject of the Black is Beautiful movement.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/23/...ytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

NY Times a behind a paywall. Yay.

As for the original question of OP and it's been over a year of this thread being dormant since last August I'm going to re-answer the question with 2022 in mind.

We're in the middle of a new photographic movements currently on multiple fronts. From the maturity of the smartphone era and more relevant to us here on Photrio the revival of film.

We're currently in a film revival. There are threads arguing about it but it's undeniable at this point. There's a movement around using the medium of film. It's unique that for really the first time the movement of taking photos hinges around using film itself rather than the image produced.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom