Will Harman prices increase next month ?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by damien, Feb 28, 2009.

1. damien

damien Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello
    I was a bit suprsed when I heard yesterday that Harman / Ilford wholsesale prices on b&w films and papers will increase between 15 and 30 % next week in UK ; can anyone confirm this information ?

2. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What was the source?

3. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have heard this as well.

4. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Harman prices have increased considerably in the U.K. quite recently at a time when we enter a recession. I had put this down to increasing raw material prices working their way through to the consumer at a time when it unfortunately coincided with a time when you'd expect prices to fall to attract more custom. I was hoping that as raw material prices began to drop as most do in a recession then prices would stabilise for quite some time.

If this rumour is right we seem to have been caught in a pincher movement. About a year ago or maybe less Ilford Postcard paper could be bought for about £14. Now the cheapest is about £24.

A box of 10x8 WT RC paper is getting very expensive indeed.

If this rumour is correct then I for one will review my usage

pentaxuser

5. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How about we wait and hear what Simon has to say before we all panic?

6. FilmIs4Ever

FilmIs4Ever Member

Unfortunately, silver, used extensively in B&W products, is also seen as a good way to hoard money in the recession. Gold and silver are way up from where they were a decade ago.

7. ghost

ghost Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Money is sure tight- and this stuff is only going to get more expensive as it becomes more of a "niche" product...but I get so much VALUE from this niche, compared to other things I have blown money on in the past...that to me it is worth it!! I am behind Ilford 100%- because, unlike Kodak- I feel they have commited to US.

8. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    While Ilford certainly is supporting black and white traditional photography, it is Kodak that is still innovating with new analog products, both black and white and color. I think that speaks that Kodak is still supporting analog. It is just that Ilford has more of a direct contact with us end-users than Kodak seems to have.

9. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    They are committed to eventually turning a profit at some point, no?
    They don't exist to lose money or not turn a profit.

If I felt they owed me anything, I'd demand a reasonable answer as to why their WT FB paper is so f*&^ng expensive.

10. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. Muihlinn

Muihlinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Frankly speaking, and without any intention to offend anyone, I'm becoming sick of all the whining chores that start each time that a rumor, usually about price rise or discontinuation, pops-up. Anecdotically I've bought recently a good amount of ilford film from the UK at half price than street price over here, which ( btw & IIRC ) is what I was paying for the same film 15 years ago ; if it raises a 30% (and probably even more with the new VAT and the weak £ ) still will be cheaper... probably my budget is clearly lower than most non-students here, so what we're talking about?

But the main question is if we're here for savings or what, if someone needs stuff and fears about a price increase, he should stock it, but there is no reason to panic while running in circles, there is no good in it for anyone.

12. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Luis,

I agree that there is no reason to panic. Anyway, prices seem to vary to a not inconsiderable degree even between UK suppliers.

Tom.

13. Muihlinn

Muihlinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know, but shopping for the best price is homework for the buyer :wink:
    Over here prices seems to be in the same ballpark 0.05 € up or down, which as you say, does not seem the case there.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wonder if Foma products are relatively less expensive in Euro currency countries; in the UK Foma paper has roughly equivalent pricing to ILFORD paper.

Tom.

16. Muihlinn

Muihlinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Foma is still cheaper, but not as much as it used to be, a 120 roll just 1/3 off the Ilford's where they sell it at competitive prices. Paper is still significatively cheaper, at least at our prices, but I won't compare them directly either films or papers because its nature and the inherent subjectivity of qualities appreciation. My main paper is ilford's but I also stock several Foma types.

In the end you can make work any image with any kind of product if you know how to handle it, but what will be photography printing whitout those little details which makes you choose this or that?

17. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree. The subtleties between papers are there, and do make a difference to the interpretation of the negative and perception of the print.

Tom.

18. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Every January, I write a post to my blog, about the prices of film.

If you check this post, you will see that a 30% will certainly have a big affect on the film. This means that a roll of medium format FP4+ will now be over $5.00. My current favorite film is Fuji Acros and currently sells for $2.89 per roll. Quite a difference.

Nothing to do but wait until Monday.

19. Matt5791

Matt5791 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would be extraordinary if the price of a roll of film went up by 30%. It wont happen.

20. Graham.b

Graham.b Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is all we need at the time. I am all for supporting the us of film and papers, but there come's a time when i think you have to take stock of what is around you. I do use a lot of Kodak film, and little less choice when it comes to paper. Ilford or Kentmere, both of the same company now. This just another nail for the hobbyist of the film world. I suppose when it gets to much it will drive even the most die hard of us to use the d***** machines.

Lets hope they see it is affecting the little people of the planet, and not for putting more money in the hands of those who are not in the needed bracket like their user of their products.

Graham

21. Curt

Curt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fuji looks like a winner in all of this for some of the films I like to use. These are todays Freestyle prices. My first pick on the list is Rollei Pan 25, look at that single roll price! I'm not letting the cost of film dictate what I buy but it will dictate how much I buy.

Adox and Efke 25 both $3.99
    Ilford Pan F+ $3.79
    Rollei Pan 25 $6.49
    Fuji Acros 100 $2.89

Since money does matter, more than ever these days, if Harman increases prices on March 1, and I say that not knowing if this is all hogwash, then a little notice might have been nice. I have yet to use Fuji Acros but it's only a matter of time before I make the move. I like to use a film like Ilford Pan F+ or Rollei Pan 25 in 120. If I find that Fuji Acros gives close results then I'm happy.

22. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Remembering the Great Kodachrome Panic/Fiasco :rolleyes: of a few days ago, I'd suggest we just enjoy the rest of our weekend, and await definitive information. It's not the end of the world yet. :smile:

We're fortunate to have Ilford as a sponsor here, with Simon Galley, the sales director, as an active participant, so that will be as official as it gets.

I think that he said in another thread that he was away for a couple of weeks, so he may well be back tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2009
  23. Pat Erson

Pat Erson Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  24. OP
    OP
    damien

damien Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yes, but films and papers are 20/25 % more expensive in this shop in France than in som shops in UK like Silverprint, Morco, Speed Graphic etc. : )

and if Ilford wholesale prices change this week, the retail price won't probably change in UK before the end of the month and before May in continental Europa

25. OP
    OP
    damien

damien Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    sorry, I prefer not to tell what is my source

26. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A man of mystery......