Why Do You Folks At Ilford Offer 2 Free Rolls of HP5 W/Paper And Why.....

Discussion in '[Partner] ILFORD PHOTO' started by DF, Aug 23, 2016.

1. DF

DF Member

....does the store then tear them off the front and sell the paper only? Why can't you offer paper with, say, FP4, or Pan F+, ya'know - film we can use!

2. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you have HP5+ you can't use, send it to me! 50% or more of the film I shoot is ISO400. some of it's still ASA400! Tastes vary, but these starter packs are based on user data on what's is most likely to be the first roll of film you shoot. And for that 400 is nice, more DOF and less camera shake. I know it's not for seasoned pros but the starter packs are for starting out.

3. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those packages are aimed at beginners and, especially, students. The art supplies store at Weber State University here in Ogden, Utah, has a bunch hanging on a hook ready for the new school year.

HP5-plus is a good general purpose film, forgiving for beginners and fast enough so they don't end up with nothing but blurry shots before they realize they can't hand-hold 1/5th of a second.

So it's good marketing. You want Pan-f, buy 100 feet, much better price per roll.

4. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is, I'm sure, aimed at students. And a good deal for anyone who would otherwise buy a 25 sheet of paper.

So why criticize Ilford? It's like giving someone a dollar then having them complain it's not a fresh, new bill.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In my experience, the stores who cater to the student crowd get a bunch of this in at the beginning of each term (most likely at a discounted cost). In many cases, they sell out quickly. Through the rest of the year most of their customers want something different, so if they have any of these packages left after the school rush subsides, they sometimes split the packages up.

6. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used HP5 for years. Wonderful stuff, all the way up to 8x10 and beyond!

7. Harman Tech Service

Harman Tech Service Partner Partner

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Better late than never I suppose...
    For info, these packs are part of the Back to School programme we run with the dealers annually and are aimed at Students.
    HP5+ 135 is our biggest selling film item and the value packs represent a versatile and cost effective option.
    Neil

8. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is one of the best deals and best kept secrets out there. I always need paper and I always need film. I add a pack to my B&H shopping cart every time I place an order there.

9. Stephen Prunier

Stephen Prunier Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think it's a wonderful thing their doing. It makes it affordable, and it might even get some "non-photography" students to try it with that "old film camera" that their parents never threw away.

10. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I work at a university and it's sold at our book store. It's a great package for the beginning student that just needs film and paper. HP5 is very forgiving film.

11. They are great for the beginners, especially students taking their first photography courses.

12. OP
    OP
    DF

DF Member

O.K. but I don't use FP5, I use FP4 & Pan F +.
    Where's my free rolls?

13. flavio81

flavio81 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't use FP5 either but will definitely use it once it is invented. Meanwhile FP4 is good enough.

HP5 is excellent film, i wouldn't mind a free roll!!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The USA are so different...

I wonder here what students and what photography courses...

16. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I teach an intro to film photography course at a two year community college in Sioux City, Iowa, we also have a second semester advanced course and offer both a one year photography technician course and a two year photographer degree, most courses are digital. Metro College in Omaha, just down the road, teaches alternative photography. Photography in the Midwest, USA, is alive and well.

17. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    HP5 is a more forgiving film. Perfect for beginners and students.

18. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You bet Iowa is the center of the analogue resurgence . This machine will process 16 x 20 Ilford RC Black and white in under 4 minutes and my Ilford RC dryer will dry it in 35 seconds. Would Ilford consider finishing color paper from other manufacturers and package in cut sheets? I think this would be a great addition to the annual large format cut film campaign . Best Regards Mike
    20161120_112241_resized.jpg

19. Halford

Halford Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    They already do as far I know. I believe the FujiCrystal Archive cut sheets are cut and packaged by Ilford.

20. Darko Pozar

Darko Pozar Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I was prompted to buy from the Bay an offer from Vanbar Photographics in Melbourne Australia a Paterson Universal Tank and two reels PLUS Free a roll of HP5 24exp for a good price...
    Inside the package was a leaflet with all the Ilford products.

21. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While we're wishing for things from Ilford, how about Pan F in 4x5 sheet form?

22. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Interesting the label on my Fuji box say's finished in UK. So how do we get Alaris and Ilford together to provide cut sheets of the high end Kodak Endura paper in cut sheets ?
    Best Mike

23. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Silly me, and here I'm shooting HP5+ only 30 years after starting out. My bad.

24. TSSPro

TSSPro Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OP: The students that I get in the camera shop where I work love the free film from these packs. They are a little more expensive than the 25 sheet packs of RC paper, but with the film they're saving money. I try and point them in the direction of the starter packs if I know they'll be wet printing for school. Students and saving $ tend to go together :tongue:

25. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes! this is what is needed. the lack of cut-sheet endura is annoying to say the least.

26. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is too bad that this didn't happen before Kodak Alaris came to the reluctant decision to close down their UK colour paper manufacturing line.