Which Omaga D2 negative carrier do you like the best for 6x6?

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anthony_
Recent bookmarks

sruddy

Shooter
Multi Format
There seems to be an overwhelming amount of choices. I have a newly acquired D2, the extra high one, and will be doing 20-40” prints using the condenser lamp house with an incandescent lamp.
Thanks,
Steve

Paul Howell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
The D2 uses a standard 2 pin carriers, from 1/2 frame, 110, to 4X5, there may a few home made carriers, I have not seen any 3rd party, but be careful, D3 auto focus carries with slots for the rails will not work on a D2, well to hedge my statement don't think they will work, the cones are not interchangeable. The other option is a 4X5 glass carrier and a masking negative state, or make inserts out of red plastic for varies formats.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
There are so-called Rapid shift carriers as well - designed to make it easy to work with uncut rolls.
And of course both glassed and glassless versions.
The carriers designed for the D2 were revised slightly over the years, and are, as far as I am aware, also compatible with the D5 and D6.
I expect that the main changes relate to the positioning guides at the bottom. That and the fact that they changed in colour! :smile:
I have a bunch of carriers for my D6 that clearly came from different eras - no doubt some of them are of the same era as your D2.
I expect you have seen the lists on KHB.

removed account4

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
There are so-called Rapid shift carriers as well

yup thats what i have to use because my d3's negative stage is bigger than regular ones
its a military contract one to accommodate wide roll film and with anything but rapid shift light spills all over .. and then some..

OP
OP

sruddy

Shooter
Multi Format
There are so-called Rapid shift carriers as well - designed to make it easy to work with uncut rolls.
The carriers designed for the D2 were revised slightly over the years, and are, as far as I am aware, also compatible with the D5 and D6.
I expect that the main changes relate to the positioning guides at the bottom. That and the fact that they changed in colour! :smile:
I have a bunch of carriers for my D6 that clearly came from different eras - no doubt some of them are of the same era as your D2.

I read the white face ones were made that way to reflect light.

Bob Carnie

Subscriber
Shooter
Med. Format RF
For the size of prints you are going to do you will require 4 x5 glass carriers.

OP
OP

sruddy

Shooter
Multi Format

I just got done trying to look up all the carriers on the KBH store. I just went down the list on there Omega site. Some of the carriers don't show up in there store. I see the variations you all are referring to. I don't see any single glass top side only offered so I picked up a 423-323 2¼"x2¼" (6x6cm) Spring shift rapid shift glass to try out.

OP
OP

sruddy

Shooter
Multi Format
For the size of prints you are going to do you will require 4 x5 glass carriers.

I received a Spring Shift 4 x 5 glass carrier with the enlarger. Why do I need this for my large prints from 2.25" x 2.25" negs and how do I mask it?
Thanks,
Steve

Bob Carnie

Subscriber
Shooter
Med. Format RF
So your negatives do not pop during the long exposure

I use black electrical tape on the back side of the glass to create different aspect ratio for film..

OP
OP

sruddy

Shooter
Multi Format
So your negatives do not pop during the long exposure

I use black electrical tape on the back side of the glass to create different aspect ratio for film..

Right, however why are you suggesting an over size carrier?
Thx

Bob Carnie

Subscriber
Shooter
Med. Format RF
Yes 4 x5 carrier , will this fit on your enlarger, you need to cut the 6 x6 film to single frame to fit in the middle of glass carrier.. This needs to be determined by lamp, condensors, negative stage center, lens stage center. once all in a line you have good coverage

Bob Carnie

Subscriber
Shooter
Med. Format RF
Right, however why are you suggesting an over size carrier?
Thx
Because the Omega Enlargers I own the negative carriers with glass I am familiar with are 4 x5 , if you can find a medium format glass carrier for this enlarger than you are good to go.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
I have a 6x6 glass carrier for my D6

Paul Howell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Yes 4 x5 carrier , will this fit on your enlarger, you need to cut the 6 x6 film to single frame to fit in the middle of glass carrier.. This needs to be determined by lamp, condensors, negative stage center, lens stage center. once all in a line you have good coverage

Why not cut a matt for every negative size, out of red plastic?

Bob Carnie

Subscriber
Shooter
Med. Format RF
I have 7 - 4 x5 Glass Carriers so I tape them for long term usage to different aspect ratios. When I worked at mural labs we would cut matts out of black lexan which works well.

Same end goal

OP
OP

sruddy

Shooter
Multi Format
I have 7 - 4 x5 Glass Carriers so I tape them for long term usage to different aspect ratios. When I worked at mural labs we would cut matts out of black lexan which works well.

Same end goal

Thanks Bob, I have some amberlith that I could have used. I already purchased the 6x6 carrier so at least I'll have the 4x5 as a backup. I just checked out your website. Wish I was closer! :smile:

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom