Which of these papers would be best for me to use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FeS2
Recent bookmarks

Treymac

Shooter
Medium Format
Hey guys. I'm trying to come up with some new paper that I can use in my photo course. It's for my last project, and I want to try something new. I've only used basic Ilford RC pearl paper, and Oriental fibre glossy paper. I don't know what the developer is that we use, or any of the other chemicals. I've going to go with Fuji Acros 100 for the film, and the photo's are going to be dark and high contrast.

I've narrowed down the paper that I plan to use for my last course project. This is mostly based on price, but I've come up with this list to narrow down to one:

Arista EDU Ultra FB VC Glossy
Fotokemika Varycon (KG) VC FB
Kentmere Fineprint VC FB Neutral Tone Glossy
Adox Fine Print Vario Classic VC FB
Kentmere Fineprint VC Glossy

and maybe
Fomabrom VC FB Variant IV 123 Velvet Semi-mat

I want to use a new paper to experiment, and on fibre I like the look of glossy. What do you guys think would be the best paper for me to choose?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fraxinus

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Perhaps also consider Adox Nuance (graded) or Fomatone MG Classic 131 (VC).
Both fibre, both with excellent blacks and a fine gloss when air-dried. They will produce results in just about any developer, and the Foma particularly has the scope to be used for some interesting alternative processing (lith).

marco.taje

Shooter
Medium Format
May I suggest that you don't change so many variables at once? Changing film is already a big shift in the curves resulting from your process.. Changing both paper AND film is a roulette :smile:

Just MHO.

bdial

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
What are you looking to accomplish in making the change, that the paper you are presently using cannot do?

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Treymac:

You should probably look for a source that has sample prints that will allow you to see the differences.

I don't know whether Beau Photo does, but they may.

Glazer's in Seattle has Foma, and Berger, and some sample images on some different papers.

Other than that, I'd suggest staying with what you know.

Matt

OP
OP

Treymac

Shooter
Medium Format
Ok, I guess I'll stick with 8x10 Ilford glossy fiber paper, the only new thing I'll introduce is the film. I'll save trying out new papers for next semester. Thanks.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom