Threads
Members
Latest member
DB26
Recent bookmarks

Ben_Hardy

Shooter
35mm
Hi i m photographer and i want to buy new DSLR. What will be your opinion which brand is Beast i.e Nikon, Canon, Sony or any other

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Thread moved to Digital Cameras.

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Hi i m photographer and i want to buy new DSLR. What will be your opinion which brand is Beast i.e Nikon, Canon, Sony or any other

I'm on team Canon.

Depending what you are looking for and what you want to spend. You can't go wrong with a 6D mk1, 50 1.8 and a 24-105 f4L. Get it all used and you'll have essentially a pro kit for comparatively little. You can upgrade to a 5D 3 or 4 but in all honesty the IQ of the 6D and 5D really look about the same unless bumping the ISO way up. And these cameras are simple to use and just plain work. They're boring and dependable. It also gives you access to the greatest lens line ever made. The 70-200 2.8L. This lens is the reason why Canon is King.

Paul Howell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Rather than brand, what are your needs, price point, features? Do you want a traditional Digital Single Lens Reflex or are you open to a mirrorless? If you want to stick to a DSLR then you might want to look at Pentax which has vowed to the last man standing with a DSLR. Do you want a cropped or full frame sensor? Are planning on shooting in dim light, how important will high ISO performance be? How much detail, what MP count do you think you will need. Compact or standard or even heavy body? New or used? What do you want to shoot, action, sports, nature, if nature landscapes or wildlife, family, travel? There are additional questions to asked that do come to mind before you can narrow your search. As it stands all of the top brands are really, did I say really excellent, systems, each has its own strong and weak points.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
They are all good and do what you want. The question is which cameras fit in your hands that you like to handle and use? Smaller cameras for people with smaller hands; larger cameras for people with large hands.

Eric Rose

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
They are all good. Concentrate more on composition and figuring out what you want to say with your photography than what camera you use.

Shooter
Medium Format

They're all good. To make it easier for buyers they mark the best ones with Nikon.

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
They're all good. To make it easier for buyers they mark the best ones with Nikon.

Which makes it really difficult because while they're all good they make it easier to the buyers by making the best lenses with Canon.

GRHazelton

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
If you are moving from a SLR to a DSLR you should consider whether your SLR lenses can be used on whatever DSLR camera you may be considering.
I have a bias towards Pentax, since ANY K-mount Pentax lens can be used - some with some restricted functionality - on ANY K mount Pentax DSLR. Pentax makes adaptors to allow 42mm screw thread lenses from the iconic Spotmatic Pentaxes to be mounted on K mount cameras, again with some limited functionality.
Nikon's bayonet mount enjoys similar compatibilIty between Nikon SLRs and DSLRs. I'd welcome comments from Nikonians.
I think Minolta lenses can be used on Sony DSLRs, but again I'd like to hear from Sony fans.
Canon, by contrast, has had several changes in SLR lens mounts. How much compatibliity between the various SLR mounts and the current DSLR mount I don't know.
Mirrorless DSLRs? Others will have to comment on them. I could imagine that with an adaptor prism DSLR lenses could be used on mirrorless cameras but because of distance to "film" or sensor between the two, real usage between mirrorless and prism cameras would be extremely limited.

Anon Ymous

Shooter
35mm
@GRHazelton Canon changed from the FD mount to the EF mount when they implemented AF. The FD lenses can't be adapted to their EF bodies, but every EF lens they have produced can be used on an EF mount body and it's the beauty of it. It's far more clear IMHO.

juan

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
any Nikon lens can be used with a current DSLR except the earliest which are called non-ai (auto index) lenses. These early lenses can be modified into AI lenses. Many found on the used marked already have the modification. Nikon makes an adapter to use the F mount lenses on the mirror less Z lenses.

Paul Howell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
This is where is gets complicated. When Canon and Minolta moved from manual focus to auto focus they changed their lens mount, Canon FD and Minolta MC, which will not work on their respective auto focus bodies. (Canon did make an adaptor for a few of their L lens). Nikon and Pentax kept their mounts F and KA so manual focus lens could be used on auto focus bodies, but their lens line evolved lens became more less incompatible, the new Nikon E lens will not work on any Nikon film body but most MF Nikon lens will work on some but all of their F DSLR bodies, none will work on the mirrorless bodies without an adaptor. Same with Canon EF lens to R bodies. Sony bought Konica Minolta camera line including the A mount lens system. All Minolta AF lens will work on all Sony A mount cameras. Recently Sony stopped production of all A mount bodies and lens and only makes mirrorless bodies and lens the E mount. Sony does make an adaptor that will AF with all A mount lens, gear or micro motor driven, but it is slow and loud.

OP
OP

Ben_Hardy

Shooter
35mm
any Nikon lens can be used with a current DSLR except the earliest which are called non-ai (auto index) lenses. These early lenses can be modified into AI lenses. Many found on the used marked already have the modification. Nikon makes an adapter to use the F mount lenses on the mirror less Z lenses.

Thank you for the information :smile:

OP
OP

Ben_Hardy

Shooter
35mm
This is where is gets complicated. When Canon and Minolta moved from manual focus to auto focus they changed their lens mount, Canon FD and Minolta MC, which will not work on their respective auto focus bodies. (Canon did make an adaptor for a few of their L lens). Nikon and Pentax kept their mounts F and KA so manual focus lens could be used on auto focus bodies, but their lens line evolved lens became more less incompatible, the new Nikon E lens will not work on any Nikon film body but most MF Nikon lens will work on some but all of their F DSLR bodies, none will work on the mirrorless bodies without an adaptor. Same with Canon EF lens to R bodies. Sony bought Konica Minolta camera line including the A mount lens system. All Minolta AF lens will work on all Sony A mount cameras. Recently Sony stopped production of all A mount bodies and lens and only makes mirrorless bodies and lens the E mount. Sony does make an adaptor that will AF with all A mount lens, gear or micro motor driven, but it is slow and loud.
Thank you for your guide Lets see whats beneficial for me. By the way thank alot

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm

Technically true but real world it's not really like this.

@GRHazelton Canon changed from the FD mount to the EF mount when they implemented AF. The FD lenses can't be adapted to their EF bodies, but every EF lens they have produced can be used on an EF mount body and it's the beauty of it. It's far more clear IMHO.

Any EF lens will work with film or digital. Full stop.

koraks

Shooter
Multi Format
Any EF lens will work with film or digital. Full stop.

Well, yes. With a small comma, and then some caveats in tiny letters. Take a lens with IS for instance and put it onto an old film body; let's say the original EOS1 or an old EOS50 or so. IS might work, but it might also cease functioning from time to time for unknown reasons, regardless of freshness of battery etc. And of course there's the 3rd party lenses with an EF mount that work on older EOS bodies, but not newer ones. I'm sure there are several other considerations - but by and large, if it has an EF mount, it will (sort of, mostly, under most circumstances) work on any (mostly) EOS body :wink:

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Well, yes. With a small comma, and then some caveats in tiny letters. Take a lens with IS for instance and put it onto an old film body; let's say the original EOS1 or an old EOS50 or so. IS might work, but it might also cease functioning from time to time for unknown reasons, regardless of freshness of battery etc. And of course there's the 3rd party lenses with an EF mount that work on older EOS bodies, but not newer ones. I'm sure there are several other considerations - but by and large, if it has an EF mount, it will (sort of, mostly, under most circumstances) work on any (mostly) EOS body :wink:

Less issues than Nikon however. Canon branded EF lenses will autofocus accurately with any EOS body digital or film.

Can't say the same for Nikon.

Anon Ymous

Shooter
35mm

Interesting, I've tried the 24-70 f/4 IS L and the 70-200 f/4 IS L II and they both worked as expected on the 300V and 33V. And it's quite surprising given the fact that there were several IS lenses back in the film days. Some 3rd party lenses AFAIK will only work wide open, they won't stop down on digital bodies.

Less issues than Nikon however. Canon branded EF lenses will autofocus accurately with any EOS body digital or film.

Can't say the same for Nikon.
Ah, yes, Nikon tried to keep backwards compatibility and made a hell of a mess.

GRHazelton

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
It's good that us
Interesting, I've tried the 24-70 f/4 IS L and the 70-200 f/4 IS L II and they both worked as expected on the 300V and 33V. And it's quite surprising given the fact that there were several IS lenses back in the film days. Some 3rd party lenses AFAIK will only work wide open, they won't stop down on digital bodies.

Good that the backwards compatibility issues are being discussed. Being able to use "legacy" lenses should be a consideration for owners of older lenses.

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm

I know that the Nikon people are going to burn me at the stake for this, and I have to say that manual Nikon SLRs are the greatest ever...buuuuuuut.

Canon knocked it out of the ballpark when they released the EOS system. The EF lenses to me feel mature, solid and dependable across the price range. My 40mm 2.8 feels just as nice as my 70-200 2.8L II. I can't say the same for Nikon lenses. The cheaper and older lenses for autofocus just don't feel complete. Autofocus can be slow and jittery, it's not a smooth experience.

Second point. Canons menu system is easy and straightforward.

jtk

Shooter
35mm
If I wasn't a Pentax guy (best optics and stabilization) I'd probably select Sony. Neither Nikon nor Canon both of which are doing better with products other than DSLR..

Ask a serious film maker...they'll say Sony or Panasonic.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom