Threads
Members
Latest member
pulsa333
Recent bookmarks

sruddy

Shooter
Multi Format
I’m going to start using my Graphic View camera, starting in the studio, then possibly outside close by. Too heavy to carry around to far! Seems like there should be a brighter and better screen, so I would like to get some opinions before I order one.
Thanks
462DC7D5-AE62-42B9-B27B-E2D38CFCF682.jpeg
59C1C5CB-5047-43FE-BB41-D24D4BA4A837.jpeg

Shooter
4x5 Format
I have a Graphic View II (it was my first LF camera, and I still like and use it, but not in the field anymore). I really like the Fresnel viewing screen that came with the camera. It's hard to tell from the photo if you have a Fresnel screen or not. If not, regular ground glass is dimmer. Many prefer regular ground glass because the illumination is more even. In any case, make sure your lens is set at its widest aperture for viewing and use a good dark cloth.

If the ground glass is dirty, a gentle wash in mild detergent will often do the trick. However, if you have grid lines on your ground glass, be sure to test them for solubility before washing. I've washed the lines right off of one ground glass :cry:

Best,

Doremus

OP
OP

sruddy

Shooter
Multi Format
I have a Graphic View II (it was my first LF camera, and I still like and use it, but not in the field anymore). I really like the Fresnel viewing screen that came with the camera. It's hard to tell from the photo if you have a Fresnel screen or not. If not, regular ground glass is dimmer. Many prefer regular ground glass because the illumination is more even. In any case, make sure your lens is set at its widest aperture for viewing and use a good dark cloth.

If the ground glass is dirty, a gentle wash in mild detergent will often do the trick. However, if you have grid lines on your ground glass, be sure to test them for solubility before washing. I've washed the lines right off of one ground glass :cry:

Best,

Doremus

Thanks for the tips. Mine has very very fine fresnel lines. I found a Fresnel on eBay for cheap, but it has no grid or frame lines, which I prefer. Grid would be best.

Shooter
4x5 Format
Well, the stock Graphic View Fresnel viewing screen is among the best I've seen. I'd clean it up and see if that helps (be very careful with the plastic Fresnel portion of the screen, it is quite fragile and prone to scratching). If you need grid lines, make yourself a transparent overlay with the marks you need on it. You can print one fairly easily.

Doremus

OP
OP

sruddy

Shooter
Multi Format
Well, the stock Graphic View Fresnel viewing screen is among the best I've seen. I'd clean it up and see if that helps (be very careful with the plastic Fresnel portion of the screen, it is quite fragile and prone to scratching). If you need grid lines, make yourself a transparent overlay with the marks you need on it. You can print one fairly easily.

Doremus

Does mine look stock to you?

Neil Poulsen

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
The best I've seen is what I'm using currently. Arca Swiss designs their rear standard so that the Fresnel screen can be used between the ground glass and the lens. That provides a really excellent viewing experience.

OP
OP

sruddy

Shooter
Multi Format
The best I've seen is what I'm using currently. Arca Swiss designs their rear standard so that the Fresnel screen can be used between the ground glass and the lens. That provides a really excellent viewing experience.

So I’m assuming it will only work on a Arca Swiss standard?

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
I have fresnel lenses on all my view cameras. I think they all would be difficult to use without. Also, faster lenses help this issue. For example, in 4x5 I'd call F11 slow, F8 average and F5.6 fast and f4 or wider, super-fast.

Rod Klukas

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Yes, The Arca-Swiss fresnel/GG setup really only works with an Arca-Swiss camera. The issue is that with our design the focus is set in a certain plane that matches the film holder.
To put an Arca-Swiss Fresnel/GG setup in place some material will need to milled to adjust focus on your back. So not reversible.
Rod

Neil Poulsen

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
So I’m assuming it will only work on a Arca Swiss standard?

That's correct; Arca Swiss has designed their tolerances to compensate for the effect that their Fresnel lens will have on the plane of focus. (Sorry for the late response; just saw your query.)

wiltw

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Absolutely impressive improvement with focus screen from Maxwell Precision Optics.
The only link I can find now, vs. Bill Maxwell's webpage 25 years ago, is via Facebook

Cary Lee

Shooter
Multi Format
I have a graphic view II also and I haven't seen anything that will make the focus screen brighter unless you get a ground glass custom made. But for outside I use a anniversary speedgraphic with graflok, mainly because it uses 4x4 wood lens holders that I can cross modify to my other cameras. I would use the view strictly for indoor studio use.

Dan Fromm

Shooter
Multi Format
Boss screen pop up occasionally and are bright with great focus "snap"

According to Bosscreen propaganda -- sorry, no link available -- they are camera-specific. Fitting the wrong version on a camera guarantees out-of-focus images on film.

eli griggs

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
At the very least, you can shoot ordinary gg, OEM or self made in the studio with a dedicated hot light, such as construction quartz bulbs use, moved into the subject as far as possible, just to focus sharply.

In the field, if no using direct sunlight as a focual aid, you might try LEDs for up close work, but they need to also be strong enough for the task at hand and I doubt the more expensive/larger lights will make the grade.

BradS

Shooter
35mm
For plain, non-Fresnel, ground glass, Satin Snow is about the best I've ever seen. Unfortunately, Dave quit selling to the public many years ago. The factory Ebony screens are also hard to beat.

eli griggs

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Do any of the commercial sellers, including individuals, mention a grit used in making their gg?

If so, we could assemble a folder with that information and example shots, including a Photrio test standard, for a still shot at a set aperture, shutter speed, incandescent or LED light setup and source at specific watts or lums, at a set distance from the film plane and, the subject.

Film type, iso, format, etc.

This way, we can get a better idea of what we want to start off or move to.

I think this would help out in answering threads like this, in part at least.

Rayt

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I use Maxwell screens and view is illuminated to the corners and super easy to focus even if I only had my windbreaker over my head.

eli griggs

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Has anyone here used salvaged scanner glass for their view screen?

I've a large format scanner, burned out, that I've no yet deconstructed, that I want to give a try.

Any tips?

Ales'

Shooter
8x10 Format
Do anyone have any suggestions on how to make brightest fresnel ground glass sandwich. Precondition: distance from eyes to ground glass is 30-35cm, never closer(graflex 4x5 slr hood is quite tall) and it would be always viewed from one point, lens is 190mm and would be always focused close. I'm replacing the mirror from back to front surface, so I have to shim up grondglass anyway so I intend to place fresnel under ground glass towards mirror/lens. From what I understood coarse surface gives brighter image and fresnel lens of correct focus can make whole ground glass equally bright from one point. I guess I'll start with sanding plexiglass and see...

Vaughn

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
... Seems like there should be a brighter and better screen, so I would like to get some opinions before I order one.
Thanks

My opinion, FWIW...I dislike fresnels. I put my eye on the path of the light coming from the lens if I need more light to see with.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom