Where to find 6x6 camera bellow replacement?

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adam m
Recent bookmarks

jim10219

Shooter
4x5 Format
Which camera? Sometimes for the more popular cameras, you can find bellows on eBay. That's usually a much cheaper route than buying custom made bellows. That's what I did for my Anniversary Speed Graphic. I couldn't find the exact bellows, but I found some other ones that were almost identical and worked great with just a little bit of modification. It was nothing serious and probably saved me over $100 compared to having custom bellows made.

Though for some cameras, your only options are pulling some off another, similar camera, or custom made (whether done by you or someone else).

OP
OP
marciofs

marciofs

Shooter
Medium Format
Which camera? Sometimes for the more popular cameras, you can find bellows on eBay. That's usually a much cheaper route than buying custom made bellows. That's what I did for my Anniversary Speed Graphic. I couldn't find the exact bellows, but I found some other ones that were almost identical and worked great with just a little bit of modification. It was nothing serious and probably saved me over $100 compared to having custom bellows made.

Though for some cameras, your only options are pulling some off another, similar camera, or custom made (whether done by you or someone else).

I think it is worth buy a new one and be sure it will last longer.

bunip

Shooter
Multi Format
what is that make you think a camera bellow made today will last longer than one made 50/70 years ago?

barzune

Shooter
Multi Format
-
Which camera? Sometimes for the more popular cameras, you can find bellows on eBay.

We still do not know which camera, and having searched the OP's various posts, I find it both confusing, and difficult to advise him.

About a year ago, I purchased a brand-new bellows, original from the manufacturer's recommended outlet, for a 6X6 camera;

I haven't used this item, and am unlikely to, but it would be interesting, at the very least, to know the, apparently secret, requirement from the OP.

jim10219

Shooter
4x5 Format
what is that make you think a camera bellow made today will last longer than one made 50/70 years ago?
Agreed. There are many cameras out there with 100+ year old bellows that are still just as good as new. They tended to make bellows out of better materials back then. In fact, look up how to make your own bellows. The number one issue everyone faces is finding good material to make the bellows from. And unfortunately, this limitation effects not just the average DIYer, but also camera makers and customer bellows shops. 50 years ago when view cameras were quite common, good bellows material was a lot easier to come by.

Anyway, in my first post I was talking about buying brand new bellows off eBay, not necessarily used ones. There are several makers who sell there for a lot less money than you'll find from a custom maker. The catch is, they may or may not have the bellows you're looking for available for sale. That's why I asked which camera you need the bellows replaced on. If it happens to be a rare camera, then you're pretty much left to DIY or custom made.

OP
OP
marciofs

marciofs

Shooter
Medium Format

ADOX Golf 63 is the camera.
I think brand new things last longer than used things.
The price for a new one is €50 which seems to be a good price.
But I have been thinking if instead of a bellow, I just use a fabric instead. A kind of fabric that light does not go through.

My doubt now is how to disable the camera in order to remove the damaged bellow and replace for an other one.

bunip

Shooter
Multi Format
for the price you’ll spend on repairing you could buy some better and similar camera. I have an adox 63 with the adoxar 6,3 lens that bought in very nice shape on the auction site for 15 euro

OP
OP
marciofs

marciofs

Shooter
Medium Format
for the price you’ll spend on repairing you could buy some better and similar camera. I have an adox 63 with the adoxar 6,3 lens that bought in very nice shape on the auction site for 15 euro

I Know. I bought mine in a very good condition for €10 in a flea market. But it came with bellow light leak. I can buy a second and third one and still risk that, or have the probem appearing soon since I use my cameras very often. For this reason I am willing to spend the €50 and be sure I won't have to worry about my camera anytime soon.

I am looking forwards to buy one or two more of Adox Golf or similar. If you know where I can find them on good condition, pleas let me know. I use them for travel and street photography but I am starting a new business and I want use them professionally. so it is good for me to have some back ups.

choiliefan

Shooter
Medium Format
Several folks suggest using a 3M mylar? tape for patching bellows.
Others suggest liquid electrical tape.
I've used book-binding tape on a couple of shooters and it works quite well.

OP
OP
marciofs

marciofs

Shooter
Medium Format
Several folks suggest using a 3M mylar? tape for patching bellows.
Others suggest liquid electrical tape.
I've used book-binding tape on a couple of shooters and it works quite well.
I have been using book-binding tape so far, but there are so many holes in my bellow, and so many book-binding tape, that when folding it is getting the double of its size. haha.

thuggins

Shooter
Multi Format
A second recommendation for the Custom Bellows folks. Great quality and a pleasure to work with. The most expensive part was the postage to ship the old bellows over to them (they do require that).

The 3M tape you want is 850 in black. It is very expensive for the full rolls, but in the US (at least) you can get a few yards respooled for less than 10 bucks. It is less than .002" thick (.05mm) so you can cover the entire bellows and still have no problem with the thickness. The only places I haven't been able to apply it is the last two convolutions or so inside the body and the side of the bellows facing the lens door. Do not use liquid electrical tape!!!!!!!! That experiment was the start of my association with the folks at Custom Bellows.

I have thought quite a bit of some sort of fabric bag, but the problem is that it will certainly touch the emulsion at some point. One other possibility is this route that I took with an old Olympus Six.

20180119_123448.jpg 20180119_123622.jpg

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom