Where to buy the parts

Discussion in 'Instant Cameras, Backs and Film' started by dreamingartemis, Dec 20, 2017.

1. dreamingartemis

dreamingartemis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sadly with the failure of the kickstart project for instax backs supporting hasselblads and mamiyas, I have decide to try and make my own.

I was wondering where do companies like Lomograph and even Fufji get the rollers, auto ejections parts from? The electronic ones.
    I could salvage from any existing units (instax mini, wide) that are broken and go for very cheap on *bay, but I was wondering if I could find the parts myself.

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Such knowledge is the basic asset of entrepeneurship...

For an amateur in most of such cases it is most economic to salvage an existing apparatus.

Photographic apparatus typically do not use standard, off the shelf parts. Sure not the apparatus in question.

3. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When Polaroid (original) still existed a camera maker or camera back maker could purchase the backend of a pack film camera for less than the price of a cheap camera and make their own front side (Polaroid didn't care, all these things used the Polaroid film), but I will guess that it required a substantial order to get the goods. Camera repair guys like the legendary Marty Forscher probably just took a hacksaw to a Polaroid camera to make the brilliant "one offs" he created

4. macfred

macfred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Marty (he died in 2009) was the man ! One of his patented 'hacks' :
    http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=04348086&homeurl=http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1%26Sect2=HITOFF%26d=PALL%26p=1%26u=%252Fnetahtml%252FPTO%252Fsrchnum.htm%26r=1%26f=G%26l=50%26s1=4348086.PN.%26OS=PN/4348086%26RS=PN/4348086&PageNum=&Rtype=&SectionNum=&idkey=NONE&Input=View+first+page

5. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The fiber optic Light Pipe was the key to Forscher's unique product. Lomo uses a plastic lens to alter back focal distance.

In terms of Instax film backs, there are three of which I know, listed below (anyone know of any more?). All cheap plastic made by LOMO. BTW, consider a sheet film back. I temporarily gave up on making an Instax film back because the Instax Mini film fits in 6x9 (2x3) film holders pretty well. Added benefit is the film is at the correct focal plane. Assuming there is a sheet-film option for your camera.

Instax back for Diana
    Instax back for LC-A
    Instax Wide back for Belair (seems to be out of production)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. OP
    OP
    dreamingartemis

dreamingartemis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah I do have one of those banks for peel apart film. But those have been discontinued and cost a lot to warrant looking into instax as a viable replacement.

7. OP
    OP
    dreamingartemis

dreamingartemis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would seems I was right, I would have to go down the same way and use an old instax camera (wide, mini or the new square) format to get what I need.

8. OP
    OP
    dreamingartemis

dreamingartemis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info, I have looked at the belair idea but for me I think it is for all the space it occupies they could have at least made it motorised.

9. Andrew K

Andrew K Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the Belair backs are discontinued (sadly) so no Instax Wide backs are available. You could use Instax Mini, but there is no darkslide slot, and you wouldn't have the space to fit one based on where the film plane needs to be.

I might try making one fit a 645 Bronica, as I think I have the bits to do the mod

10. OP
    OP
    dreamingartemis

dreamingartemis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Even Belair backs are no more? Geez! If fuji made film backs for their instax line, they would make a KILLING in the professional market. Granted most people would stop buying their subpar instax cameras but heck it would mean for sales for instax film!

BTW, I'm thinking of making one for my hassy. XD

11. OP
    OP
    dreamingartemis

dreamingartemis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

You've given me an idea - I could just get a broken A12, A16 or A24 back for cheap (it would just need to have the dark slide, and casing), gut out all the internal part and the side door for the film insert. Create my own side door and install a stripped down instax mini camera (only down to the bare film ejection module. Connect some buttons to the new side door) into it. Since the side door is made by me, I can easily add in a slit for the instax ejection.

That might work.

12. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All the rollfilm backs I have that have have dark slides, incorporate some mechanism to pull the pressure plate back away from the film channel, so the darkslide can be inserted. Reproducing that for the Instax film pack will be near impossible. Maybe look into a Forscher style light pipe from an old medium format polaroid back. A simpler option might be to see if you can make a 6x9 (2x3) film holder fit the back of the camera.
    IMG_1983.JPG

13. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also, just to point it out, the Instax film cartridge fits in a standard Polaroid back. Yes, you need to open it in the dark, take the film out and put it in an Instax camera to process, but you could have 2 or 3 backs with dark slides and swap them out.

Actually the rollers in a standard Polaroid back will process an Instax image. You just need to tape the Instax film to a piece of paper passed through the rollers. Then pull it out to process it.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. OP
    OP
    dreamingartemis

dreamingartemis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have actually tried that and it was troublesome which led me to this current thread.

16. OP
    OP
    dreamingartemis

dreamingartemis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I checked out one of my hassy backs and you're right. If I do try and merge an instax back into a hassy back, I would need to devise some sort of "pressing" mechanism to handle it....

17. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    As of today there are some remaining Belair Instax backs available from Lomography. Unfortunately, they are being sold only as a package with the Belair camera for $329, which is prohibitive if all you want is the back.

18. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In terms of that Belair Instax. At least it looks as if the film is at the correct plane. However, is it just me that I think there is a conspiracy to have all instant films exposed with blurry lenses by cameras that can't set correct focus or exposure? I think I'll save my money.

I did just get a shipment of 6 packs of FP100C for my Polaroid 250. I so enjoy its Zeiss rangefinder.

19. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's at the correct plane for the Belair camera. (Duh!) The shell is shaped to mate with the Belair body and requires surgery to fit directly on any other camera at all, let alone in the right place.

20. OP
    OP
    dreamingartemis

dreamingartemis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're not the only one to think of a conspiracy...

21. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So, then I wonder is there any advantage of the Belair over the Fuji to use for a 'real lens' conversion. Either way, my biggest gripe with those conversion is that the plastic autofocus lens might likely be better than the "Real Lens" with zone focusing or hyperfocal focusing. That is to say, without a rangefinder or ground glass, I don't know if it is worth the effort.
    [​IMG]

22. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The original post on this thread is "Where to get the Parts"

Here is one answer: e-bay

I got these three in the mail the other day. They are "The Parts" to make Instax work for me:
    Fidelity 6x9 small.jpg

23. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No Instax camera has autofocus, they either have 3-zone focus setting or 2-zone plus attachable close-up lens.

24. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, you are correct. Somehow my wishful thinking had interpreted the user's manual for my Instax 70 that "Automatic Mode" automatically switched between the three focus zones. After re-reading the manual, it appears that the only thing Automatic about Automatic Mode is that it turns the flash on and off as it sees fit. You can force the flash on but the only way to force the flash off is to cover it.

25. maximumPhoto

maximumPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I pledged towards the Jollylook camera project on Kickstarter, and they are very close to delivering. They engineered their own Instax Mini developing unit and slapped it inside a cardboard vintage bellows type camera, so it's not an impossible feat to make your own. They somehow had a demo unit before the campaign which I assumed was made from existing parts. I, as well as some others, have been pressing them for an Instax Wide version. This camera is cheap, I got 3 of them for just over $100 with film, so I am going to see if I can fit the mini development unit onto a Mamiya Universal and Bronica SQ-Ai. The wide is no good for that Mamiya as the film will jam upwards right into the eyecup as it ejects. I don't like the Belair back for it since you'd have to eject it downwards which means the thicker part of the border will be at the top of the image once it develops. This is something to strongly consider when making an Instax Wide back as it should eject upwards without obstructions for a photo in the correct orientation. Instax mini can pop out of the side so that's easier to work with.

Alternatively to this, I have already completed an Instax Wide 300 conversion that uses the Mamiya Universal Press mount. What I did was mount the lens onto the smallest macro tube I could find, and jammed that into the lens barrel of the Instax Wide 300. I had to trim a lip, and then sand the inside of the barrel until the macro tube was able to slide in snugly. About to post a separate thread for it so look out for it soon. It is very similar to the custom Wide 300 that ic-racer posted in post #20 above. It's been absolute fun to shoot great looking Instax Wide pictures.

26. Dacs

Dacs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello, I recently got a hold of an Ek4 but the problem is that it doesn't have a film holder. Any ideas where I can get one? or one that works on it? I'm a rookie on this.
    Thanks in advance

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.