Where to buy affordable film cameras

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mars, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Mars

Mars Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi! I teach Photography, high school, where can I buy affordable film cameras, like Pentax K 1000, or Canon AE 1? I was hoping around $30 each. Thanks!

2. neilt3

neilt3 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    EBay if your lucky .
    Prices have gone up this last few years , $30 isn't much.
    If you have a local camera shot that sells used gear , and if your after quite a few cameras , call in and see if you can do a deal on "X" amount of cameras .

3. David T T

David T T Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just checked eBay, and as-is for-parts cameras (k1000 etc) are going for more than $30. Working, with lens $100-200 for the Pentax, $150-300 for the Canon.

I wonder if typewriters are going up in price as well? Damn kids!

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Camera fairs are your best bet but as mentioned prices are rising particularly for good mechanical cameras.

Ian

5. Marco Gilardetti

Marco Gilardetti Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You can buy usable and reliable film cameras for around 30$, just look for those black plastic things that some people bought in the '90s. The cameras you listed are instead highly regarded and sought-after, and by no means you will find one usable and in decent shape for 30$, unless perhaps at some crazy yard sale.

6. Ste_S

Ste_S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yup, probably the best value now is in auto-focus SLRs from the last days of (mainstream) film usage. Not sure how long this will last though as I've noticed blogs starting to write about things like the Canon EOS300, which is normally a precursor to increased demand and climbing prices

7. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Check Ebay like others suggested but may be skipping the K1000 as it's quite expensive in my opinion. I would suggest the Nikon FM or if you want to teach without meter then the Minolta SRT-101. Well it does have meter but it's tough to get it working right as you need expensive battery and even then there is no warranty that it's accurate. The Canon AE-1 is also inexpensive but I don't think it's good for teaching as it's geared for auto exposure rather than manual.

8. kivis

kivis Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Been buying from KEH for years. Chances are that for $30 you might get a camera in terrible shape if at all. My advice is to do a car wash or bake sale and raise more money. BTW Nikon FM is the best of them all.Seeing them on eBay for $50-$70.

9. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why do you need to buy $30 cameras to teach photography now? How were you able to teaching photography before?

If the $30 is for an affordable film camera body, how much are you willing to pay for lenses?

Since many high school students use cell phones, why can you not teach the principles of photography with what they are actually using?

10. WilmarcoImaging

WilmarcoImaging Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Craigslist

11. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I taught 35mm film photography, I purchased inexpensive Nikon and Canon compact cameras on Ebay for loan to students who did not have their own.

[​IMG]

Nikon & Canon Compacts by Narsuitus, on Flickr

12. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Point and shoots can still be had under your budget, entry level AF, Nikon 65, even Pentax SF with kit zoom could be found for under $30. I just checked Shopgoodwill.com auction site, lots of PZ50, 10s, and the like, all with kit zooms for under $10.00 add another 10 to 15 for shipping still under $30.00. Local Craig's lists.

13. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    MTL5b ?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi mars
    you might call some camera repair shops some
    have gear like you are looking for
    that they sell to students .. it won't cost 30 clams though
    but at least you won't have to spend the 60clams getting a CLA ..
    you figure if you are buying one from a repair guy, it's .. already repaired :smile:

have fun !
    john

16. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    e-Bay you will pay 15$ just for shipping...

It is 2018, APUG is gone and to keep it it has to accept digital. Maybe it is time to rethink old stereotype? Photography is not about film and switching gears. And it never was, where are many so called photographers who knows how to expose film, develop and even print, but you look at it and it is photography only by the technical part...

I never learned photography then it was film only. I was turned off by all of this chemicals and darkroom part, plus manual exposure. It was not related to photography to me. I wanted the image, not the process.
    So, I learned technical aspects of photography only with advanced digital P&S, where I was able to use M, AV and TV modes and set ISO manually. Now it could be done with free app on the mobile phone. And where are Magnum photogs who are publishing mobile phone photos and even teaching photography with mobile phones....

But it is hard to teach photography this way, because time is not wasted with technical accepts.

Anyway, if it needs to be on film here is film manufacturer who does offer film cameras. Why not support existing film manufacturer, instead of gambling with old cameras?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/906261-REG/ilford_1174186_xp_2_super_flash_single_use.html
    Or with HP5+ BW film and if you buy 10+ of those, it will be shipped for free.

17. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Check the film photography project (FPP) They collect unwanted film cameras and donate them to educational institutions in the US.

18. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You need to look for the cameras that aren't 'cool'

EOS Rebels, Entry level Minolta, OM's that are not single digit, you can get some of the Canon T series for near nothing, Konicas don't seem to command much price.

I'd say pawnshops are places you can still luck out. Either that or put up a sign at a local retirement home.

19. tedr1

tedr1 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Used Photo Pro usedphotopro.com

KEH KEH.com

ebay.com

as you may know, ebay can be a crap shoot, you may want to chose only items with return privilege though that sometimes pushes up the price.

20. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I buy from KEH because they are very conservative about their ratings and there return no questions asked policy is so easy to use. If there is a problem they will take a return, exchange or repair the camera or lens. I have been using them for years and it takes away all the risk of buying on eBay or Craig's List.

21. BAC1967

BAC1967 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There are many M42 mount cameras out there that can be found for cheap, brands like Zenit, Chinon, Yashica, Pentax... There are plenty of affordable lenses for them as well. It would probably be more cost effective to stay with one lens mount in case the bodies die on you. M42 bodies can be the cheapest and most plentiful available. Many of them are fully manual and come with or without a light meter.

I've had this M42 Chinon since the 1980's and it still works great, it was heavily used when I got it.

[​IMG]Chinon SLR by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Another option that was stated above is the cheap plastic SLR's that have a manual mode like my Nikon N60 pictured below. They can be found on eBay in your price range with a lens.

[​IMG]Nikon N60 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

22. ciniframe

ciniframe Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Questions like these make me wonder. Back in the 60's and 70's did photography instructors ask where they could buy wet plate cameras cheap?

23. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When you say"back in the 60's and 70's", are you talking about the 1800s or 1900s? The photo history books that I have read have led me to believe that "wet plate" was probably over with by 1900. Many of the cameras that people in this group buy and use come from the 1960's and 1970's. Maybe some of the younger members of this group need to read about the history of photography also. It really is quite interesting and usually only covers a period beginning in the 1830's....Regards!

24. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I can help you with One or Two, but maybe Not Quite that cheap.
    Send me a PM if you are interested.
    Good Luck :smile:

25. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Canon EOS 300 (EOS Kiss III in Japan, EOS Rebel 2000 in North America). A lot were sold.
    If you were nearby, I have two of them that I could give to you - complete with the grips that take AA batteries.
    Also, if you were local, I would direct you to Beau Photo in Vancouver, who have become a home for unloved 35mm film SLRs. They check them all and then sell the working ones on Consignment.

26. 4season

4season Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    If I were the OP, I'd contact a dealer like KEH and try to get some sort of quantity deal on whatever it is that they're looking to clear out of their inventory. This probably won't include Canon AE1s or Pentax K1000s, at least not in great condition. But maybe ;you can come close.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.