Threads
Members
Latest member
Martin C
Recent bookmarks

polyglot

Shooter
Medium Format
So I have an RZ. Been shooting mostly B&W with it, but the Velvia is oh so nice. I can and have been scanning it, but I want to project some images and blow some socks off at the local camera club... but I can't seem to find a decent+affordable projector.

There's one on eBay right now asking almost $1000 that seems to be some monstrous 750W thing for lighting up the side of a building. Are there normal-room-sized projectors (say, for a 50" screen) readily available second-hand? Where (I'm in AU but KEH etc are OK) ?

I'm also considering building one. Would it be sufficient to get a nice (high colour-temp) bright bulb, heat-absorbing glass, condenser from a 6x7 enlarger and an old lens from an RB? I can take care of the mechanical and electrical stuff. 35mm projectors seem to have lenses around the 90mm f/2.5 range, which means that a 180mm f/4.5 ought to give me the same image size and probably enough brightness. I was thinking of using an automotive-style 5600K HID lamp or two, but I don't know if their spectrum is continuous. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

John Koehrer

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Woof! 6X6 projectors were uncommon, 6X7 more so. I've worked in the biz 30 yrs & have never seen one in the flesh.
There were many longer lenses for the Kodaks by aftermarket vendors.
What about starting with a Lantern slide projector & modify that?

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format

Joachim_I

Shooter
Medium Format
There's one on eBay right now asking almost $1000 that seems to be some monstrous 750W thing for lighting up the side of a building.
750W is not monstrous at all for 6x7! 250W is normal for 35mm. But the area of a 6x7 slide is 4.5 times as large. You need much more light to project it with the same brightness (too busy now to find out how much more). I use a 1000W Goetschmann G67 projector for my 6x7 slides. This is the smallest Goetschmann model. Here is a link to the producer. It is perfectly suitable for a living room. I used to project on a 1.5m2 screen but meanwhile changed to 2m2. 50" should be something like 1.3m2. 750W will be fine.

When I started projecting 6x7 slides, I used an old Leitz made Linhof 6x7 projector. I cannot recommend such an old projector because they are too dim. If you really want to impress your friends you need a more modern projector with an excellent lens. The Goetschmann comes with a Schneider-Kreuznach 150mm f2.8 lens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Q.G.

Shooter
Medium Format
I haven't got one (don't have a slide projecor at all), but know the Goetschmann, and it is great.
Big (and expensive) too!

OP
OP
polyglot

polyglot

Shooter
Medium Format
Thanks everyone! 1900 euro (projector plus lens) is right out for me at this point, no matter how lovely the Goetschmann is :sad:

Matt: I don't know what size that one is, but thanks for the link & PMs. I didn't know Mamiya was rebadging Cabin gear, so it might be worth throwing $10 at it just to see.

benjiboy

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
I would check what lamp the Cabin Projector takes and if it is still available.

Mike Albans

Shooter
35mm
I have a Goetschmann G67-P projector with the Goetschmann Schnieder 150mm 2.8 lens given to me from an old friend who passed away. Contact me if anyone needs one.
406-210-5976

sunhouwang

Shooter
Large Format
I have a Goetschmann G67-P projector with the Goetschmann Schnieder 150mm 2.8 lens given to me from an old friend who passed away. Contact me if anyone needs one.
406-210-5976
hi,Mike.
Is your goetschmann projector still for sale now?

guangong

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Hasselblad sold a manual 6x6/6x7 manual that was made by Leitz (same as Prado 500 6x6). With a manual projector less can go wrong. I have both the Hassy and Leitz. It should be possible to modify or make a carrier for 67 slides. Profection quality is superb. Scout around, you should be able to get one for $100 or so.

sunhouwang

Shooter
Large Format
Hasselblad sold a manual 6x6/6x7 manual that was made by Leitz (same as Prado 500 6x6). With a manual projector less can go wrong. I have both the Hassy and Leitz. It should be possible to modify or make a carrier for 67 slides. Profection quality is superb. Scout around, you should be able to get one for $100 or so.
Thanks for advice.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom