What's the cheap-best 120 holder with borders for DSLR scanning?

Funky Face

A
Funky Face

faded glory

A
faded glory

• Tel
  • Oct 7, 2022
Parkbench images

A
Parkbench images

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocieb
Recent bookmarks

Alan9940

Shooter
Multi Format
The 120 mask of the Essential Film Holder provides a bit of border...you're only going to get so much with 120 film.

OP
OP
Munky

Munky

Shooter
Analog
I think this might be it, Pixl-latr with this custom gate by Simon Forster, $50 ish for the pixl-latr and $15-20 for the gate

1659814477443.png

250swb

Shooter
Multi Format
After trying many holders I decided to make my own using a sheet of black 60 thou plastic card from the model shop. The border can be very tight on many 120 cameras but if you measure accurately when cutting the hole it can be done. Cut down the sheet to a size that your negative strip can lay across and after cutting the hole glue a strip of plastic sheet on the top as a guide/stop along one edge to square the neg strip when scanning, hold the negative down with a sheet of ANR glass. Choose the size of the glass wisely so it can cover all the formats you may use now or in the future. The initial expense is the ANR glass but it's not vastly expensive considering it's a very versatile holder system you are making. I use the same idea for 35mm, 6x12 and 4x5 but it costs only a few $ to make any new format. I suppose it helps if you are DIY minded and know how to use a scalpel/sharp knife, and remember to always measure twice and cut once.

Adrian Bacon

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
In my experience, even though the Negative Supply holder isn't the least expensive option, it is definitely the best one for also holding the film the flattest. I have my 120 film holder set up with the borderless kit (which comes with modified film hold downs and a glass ANR back) and for film flatness and speed of scanning, it's pretty hard to beat.

The way I see it is you can either pay for the equipment and have a really good experience that is pretty fast, or you can pay with your time and maybe have just as good as an experience, and potentially spend nearly as much money getting there (through trying multiple solutions). If your situation values your time lower than your money, then pay with your time, otherwise, pay with your money and get on with your life. Either way, you're gonna pay.

adeyoujo

Shooter
4x5 Format
"Either way, you're gonna pay" - That is what I'm coming to the conclusion with also. I use the ESF but want something better, less finicky, and will allow borders to be scanned.
I keep coming back to the NS kits. Expensive as ever, but I'm thinking it will be worth it. Now to talk my bank account into it. :tongue:

Adrian Bacon

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
"Either way, you're gonna pay" - That is what I'm coming to the conclusion with also. I use the ESF but want something better, less finicky, and will allow borders to be scanned.
I keep coming back to the NS kits. Expensive as ever, but I'm thinking it will be worth it. Now to talk my bank account into it. :tongue:

Yep. I've scanned a lot of film, and the NS kit isn't the first thing I went with, but rather where I ended up after trying many other solutions.

That being said, the NS kit isn't perfect, but it is by far the least painful to use and gives the the most consistent results the fastest if you have it configured to meet your needs. I liken it a lot with like buying an appliance. You can spend a good chunk of money on a new washer and dryer that is super efficient and costs you less to operate over time and has a really long warranty and never really breaks down, or you can get the "rental unit" model that has a 90 day warranty, costs very little to acquire up front, but it costs a fair amount to operate and you're only going to get a couple years out of it before it breaks and you either have to spend money to repair it or replace it. Either way you go, you're paying, it's just a matter of when and how you pay. The same goes for scanning film. It's just a matter of when and how you pay.

Moose22

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
In my experience, even though the Negative Supply holder isn't the least expensive option, it is definitely the best one for also holding the film the flattest.

True. But fair warning, it IS fussy. Doesn't grab the front of the film roll for the first frame or two (depending on format) and is hard to feed without getting fingers all over the film. And there's no 6x8 adapter, if you have a weird camera like me.

Also, you have to deal with Negative Supply, and their customer service is so awful just thinking about it right now makes me want to take a shower.

But it does hold film flat. And you can whack a robber in the head with it if he tries to take it from you, it's a solid hunk of metal like that.

Adrian Bacon

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
True. But fair warning, it IS fussy. Doesn't grab the front of the film roll for the first frame or two (depending on format) and is hard to feed without getting fingers all over the film. And there's no 6x8 adapter, if you have a weird camera like me.

Also, you have to deal with Negative Supply, and their customer service is so awful just thinking about it right now makes me want to take a shower.

But it does hold film flat. And you can whack a robber in the head with it if he tries to take it from you, it's a solid hunk of metal like that.
I don't find it to be particularly finicky relative to other solutions, but I just scan with it set up for borderless 6x9 and never change it from that, and don't change the height of the camera either. If I'm scanning 120, with that setup, it's basically just scan it that way and crop down to the actual exposed area and rotate as needed later. You can still scan the first frame or two of 645 that way and have the film held flat as long as you don't require that the first frame be perfectly centered in your capture area, which unless you're rotating your camera and moving it as close as possible to get as much resolution as possible, it's not really an issue. But... I am scanning it in with a 45MP camera and a very good macro lens, and it delivers a solid 2000+ dpi with that setup, which is quite a bit more resolution than most people want or need for medium format, and other people may have different setups.

I also wear gloves when handling film, so the other issue of fingers etc hasn't really been a problem either.

I've never had to deal with their customer service, so I can't comment on that, but just out of curiosity, what issue were you having that precipitated a call to customer service? I'm having a hard time coming up with reasons I'd even want to call them, as everything I've gotten from them has just plain worked and has been extremely reliable.

adeyoujo

Shooter
4x5 Format
Just ordered the NS 4x5 99CRI light source. Hopefully it will help with scanning my color negatives. Still using the ESF for the holder. Film flatness does seem to be an issue with this holder though, specifically when scanning the boarders.

adeyoujo

Shooter
4x5 Format
And just received the NS 4x5 99 CRI light source. Defective right out to the box. You could see a black spot on the inside of the diffuser, plugged it in and yep. Hot spot on the black spot and poor output everywhere else. Returning it for a refund. Highly disappointed. Hopefully the replacement is better than this.

Attachments

• IMG_3439_WEB.jpg
    IMG_3439_WEB.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3440_WEB.jpg
    IMG_3440_WEB.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 3

adeyoujo

Shooter
4x5 Format
Follow up. The good news is this isn't what Negative supply calls, normal. Even after getting two in a row from B&H that had this issue.
Returned both for a refund, (B&H is good with customer service)
And after getting support directly from Negative Supply, I've purchase another directly from negative supply.
Fingers crossed it arrives in good shape and lives up to its advertising.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom