What kind of film is a 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 holder for

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by lorirfrommontana, Mar 1, 2009.

1. lorirfrommontana

lorirfrommontana Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a film holder for my enlarger that is 2 1/4 x 2 1/4. What kind of film is that for? What camera? Just wondering as it may be bait for a new camera. :wink: You never know!:smile:
    Lori

2. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    2 1/4 x 2 1/4 (inches) is 6x6 (cm), a fairly standard size I believe: Hasselblad, Rollei's and so on.

Unless you mean that in cm, than it would be for 126 Instamatic.

Peter

3. OP
    OP
    lorirfrommontana

lorirfrommontana Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks. I think it is inches (I'd have to dig it out). I was just wondering.
    Lori

4. nemo999

nemo999 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What film? Standard 120 rollfilm (12 pictures on a roll).

5. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry Lori, but I just have to do this. =)
    Goin' to Montana soon.
    Gonna be a dental floss tycoon.
    With my zircon encrusted tweezers on my hip.
    ALL credit for the above to Frank Zappa

6. DarkroomDan

DarkroomDan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The common film size for this is called 120

Dan

7. OP
    OP
    lorirfrommontana

lorirfrommontana Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I havn't thought of that one in a long time!

I think I'm going to get a vintage agfa folder for the fun of it to use with my negative holder (yeah, sort of backwords but we tend to do things that way in our house! My husband got oars and a boat trailer years before he found his boat. We call random things we find for other stuff bait!). I think that the square format would be fun and I wanted a second camera anyway. I suppose I'll need another lens for my enlarger now?? I have a 50mm for it now to use with 35mm.

My darkroom has been insulated and soon will have walls. The wireing, ceiling and plumbing will be next after the walls!!! I'm thinking within a couple of weeks I'll be useing that darkroom! Yeah!

Anyway, thanks for answering all my newbie questions.

Lori

8. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You will need a 80mm enlarger lens, yes......

Have fun !

Peter

9. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I believe that vintage Agfa folders are prone to leaky bellows...but asking questions in the Medium Format forum here would clear that up. I like the square format...a nice way to see the world. Have fun!

Vaughn

I suggest keeping an eye out for a deal on a Rolleicord -- they also are fun camera to use! Perfect for use while riding pigmy ponies...

10. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You need to be careful with leaky bellows on most folders, not just Agfa. After some research I have an Agfa Isolette III that I bought refurbed by Jurgen Kreckel - he's known as The Man when it comes to restoring folders. You can send him an email from his site with your price range and desired rangefinder (none vs. uncoupled vs. coupled), ask what he's got, and he can tell you what he can put together for you. He also sells complete units of various kinds on eBay sometimes as the seller "certo6". Also, sometimes various folders pop up here in the classifieds - caveat emptor, but the folks here are usually pretty good about not selling something knowingly broken unless so noted.

I will also 2nd the recommend for TLRs - definitely a unique experience, and a cheap way to use a waist-level finder if you've never used one. Composing the image as both square and reversed right-to-left is also a refreshing challenge and change of pace to the usual . I have a Mamiya C330 that I'm quite happy with.

Really, there's no "wrong" answer for what camera to use. The only general advice I have is to avoid cameras from Russia/Former Soviet Union or China unless you're prepared to research all the ins and outs thoroughly (I have several FSU cameras, but if you don't know what you're looking for or who to buy from, getting a functional camera can be dicey).