What is happening to Tmax - short supply?

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Martin C
Recent bookmarks

tkamiya

Shooter
Multi Format
It seems Tmax100 and Tmax400 35mm are in short supply and shipments are hard to come by. I've contacted Adorama and B&H and if the item was not in stock, neither have any idea when the next shipment would come in. I've looked Freestyle and Tmax400 36 exp are in short supply.

I've contacted Kodak and it says there are no production issues on 35mm.

Who's telling the truth??

I'd like to standardize on one film and I picked Tmax400 but now I am starting to wonder...

Any opinions or experiences?

Shooter
Multi Format
Don't worry. They have just reformulated the TMY (400) in the last year. It's not going anywhere fast.

DanielStone

Shooter
Multi Format
i don't think you have anything to worry about mate,

TMY-2 is always sold out when I go to get a box or two(4x5)

and I know that Freestyle and Samy's stock it regularly. Its just that its popular.

PE, what's the usual time to create/coat a master roll of b/w film these days? Week, two, month?

-Dan

OP
OP

tkamiya

Shooter
Multi Format
Thank you, Christopher and Daniel.

No, I am not worried that Kodak may discontinue T-max any time soon. What I am concerned about is the way the company replenishes orders. In other words, if the production schedule is such that there may be a long time between production runs, resulting in long time of items being out of order at the distribution level, then I will need to keep larger stock here.

My last purchase is already half gone and I am going to buy some more. The question is, how many??

jgjbowen

Shooter
Large Format
My last purchase is already half gone and I am going to buy some more. The question is, how many??

Consider purchasing a 12 month supply. When you have a 6 month supply left, it's time to repurchase another 12 month supply.

mjs

Shooter
Multi Format
I believe that with the economy weak and film sales down (although maybe recovering some, or maybe not, or...) a lot of places are trying to cut their stock down to the minimum they think they can get away with. I've seen this in retail before: the store cuts down, thinking they can place a hurry-up order with the distributor, who has cut their stock believing they can get a quick order from... When the herd all moves in one direction its the little guy who gets trampled. Just buy more and re-order before you need to.

OP
OP

tkamiya

Shooter
Multi Format
I think I'm going to do just that.... order two dozen for a starter... Thank you for your input.

jeroldharter

Shooter
4x5 Format
Consider purchasing a 12 month supply. When you have a 6 month supply left, it's time to repurchase another 12 month supply.

Good advice.

I ordered 200 sheets of 4x5 TMY2 from Calumet that was backordered. I then ordered 300 sheets from Freestyle and forgot about my backorder until it arrived recently. Now I have plenty!

railwayman3

Shooter
35mm
Checked earlier with one of the big UK mail order suppliers, as their website (unusually) showed several types of Kodak films as "on order". I'm assured there are absolutely no problems, just "Kodak UK a bit slow on deliveries".

I'd agree that keeping an ample stock of one's favourite films in the freezer is a good plan these days, it's no use wingeing about the suppliers if they can't supply by return due to supply delays from the manufacturers.

OP
OP

tkamiya

Shooter
Multi Format
I just placed an order for more.... let's see if it get filled....

From now on, I have to keep an eye on my stock and that of the supply chains. Recently, my typical supplier has gone out-of-stock and they have been for a while. The point of my post was to see if this was common for Tmax. Anyway, thank you, everybody, for advise.

Terence

Shooter
Multi Format
My rule of thumb is a hundred rolls of 120 on-hand. When I run through 20, I buy 20 more and rotate the stock. 20 rolls will last me about 2 months at home or one week on vacation.

DLawson

Shooter
35mm
I'd agree that keeping an ample stock of one's favourite films in the freezer is a good plan these days, it's no use wingeing about the suppliers if they can't supply by return due to supply delays from the manufacturers.

Just-in-time shipping is an evil that has infected all levels of business. Unfortunately, there is no way to defeat it, so all you can do is maintain your own stock and order ahead.

Ironically, doing that mucks with the sales rate data that they use to predict sales and plan just-in-time ordering.

JBrunner

Shooter
Medium Format
Funny, here I have TMax coming out of my orifices, but Plus X is hens teeth.

Uncle Bill

Shooter
Multi Format
I don't think Kodak is going to kill Tmax anytime soon, I do think there is a supply chain issue between the retailer keeping a tight inventory and all the way down to Big Yellow Father.

That's why I am comfortable shooting both Kodak and Ilford films, I know how they behave in my preferred developers and therefore, I don't have any supply issues (for example, can't find Tri-x 400 in 120, I'll shoot HP5 instead).

OP
OP

tkamiya

Shooter
Multi Format
Oh geez....

All the back-ordered orders cleared ALL AT ONCE! Now, I'm going to have 6 currently in stock + 24 from Company A + 18 from Company B. By the end of this week, I'll have 48 films.

Time to plan for serious shooting sessions!

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom