What causes this in Traditional cyanotype?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Akki14, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I mixed up a bit too much sensitised solution so I was running around my abode trying to find random paper etc to use the stuff on as I'm experimenting anyway.
    I remembered one website said you could use it on natural fibre fabrics so I found some scrap cotton canvas and I was dripping the sensitiser solution on it and i noticed the drops formed yellow-green (which appears to be the normal colour judging by the two-dozen different papers I did previous to the fabric) but the edges of the drops went slightly more blue-green. I finished making it fairly even and the whole fabric went from a large splodge of yellow-green to a bluer green.

So what could cause the sensitising solution to go blue without exposure to UV? I was sensitising under a 15watt tungsten bulb which was about 2 metres away from the papers/fabrics so that shouldn't have caused it, I think. I might try printing with it anyway if it's dry by tomorrow even though I suspect it's completely wrong :sad:

2. OP
    OP
    Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Oh dear the fabric has now gone totally dark blue :sad: Oh well, nothing to lose trying to print it tomorrow I guess... Will update either way.

3. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sounds like the canvas is fogging. You need to find a more neutral PH material to work on, either that or treat the canvas before sensitizing with a bath of 5% hydrochloric acid.

4. OP
    OP
    Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    yeah I just tried printing it, albeit I didn't leave it out for as long as I should have and it has developed a print on it but without any good highlights. Next time I'll plan a bit better and give it another try. Might be nice to try and acidify the canvas, stretch it, sensitise it and print it one day.

5. OP
    OP
    Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  6. Troy

Troy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've heard that it really depends on what kind of fabric you're talking about. Anything but clean, high-grade silk or cotton will have all sorts of funny processing chemicals and impurities in it. That's what I heard anyway.

7. chrisofwlp

chrisofwlp Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    That yellow tint in the highlights is staining caused by unexposed sensitizer. Perhaps you wash time was not long enough.

8. OP
    OP
    Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    but that yellow stain didn't appear until after washing. It sort of "developed" to that yellow. Is that still sensitiser?

9. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do not print Cyanotype on painting canvas!

Akki, that particular canvas is probably coated with something that chemically interacts with Cyanotype sensitizer. If it's a piece of canvas for oil painting then the coating is highly alkaline gesso (traditional: rabbit skin glue + titanium dioxide + calcium carbonate, modern: acrylic medium + titanium dioxide + calcium carbonate) and there's no way to make decent cyanotypes on that material - calcium carbonate is cyanotype killer! You should use perfectly pure and unsized cotton and/or silk for cyanotype. Some pure cotton fabrics come with sizing -> you can get rid of the sizing by boiling and rinsing the fabric a couple of times (fresh water each time). Watch for your water too; if it's alkaline, you may add a pinch of citric acid in your wash water to acidify it.

Hope this helps,
    Loris.

10. OP
    OP
    Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This is more or less pure cotton canvas as in the material not the artist's medium. We bought it on a huge roll for re-covering theatre flats (large background type canvas & wood things) and I got the offcuts for free. It's not been sized or gessoed or anything of the sort. Just hadn't been washed as I was in a bit of a rush in the circumstances.

11. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I see. But the fact that you're experiencing fogging right after coating implies that there's something wrong with the material - Cyanotype, especially New Cyanotype is a very good purity tester; you'll get inferior results with non-pure / non-suitable materials. Pure cotton never fogs - at least in my experience (I tried at least 4 different cotton fabrics from different sources and never experienced fogging). Does the same sensitizer work well with other substrates? Are you using the same tool for coating and/or the same coating method? Are you using the same water? BTW, don't overlook my suggestion of using silk -> it's a beautiful and most noble fabric for your fine-art prints + it needs neutral/acidic environment - just like Cyanotype.

Another note: I don't include dichromate in my classic sensitizer; I use dichromate just in the new formula. Maybe dichromate tans and stains the fabric?

Hope this helps,
    Loris.