Latest member
Hammad
Recent bookmarks

Rol_Lei Nut

Shooter
Multi Format
I'll try to do this chronologically:

Exakta (many models)
Praktina (high quality early East german SLR)
Nikon F & F2
Pentax Spotmatic; K2, Km, MX...
Leicaflex SL & SL2
Rolleiflex SL35, SL35O, SL-35E, SL 2000F and 3003
Nikon FM*m Fe*, F3....

There are many I have little or no experience with, but should be mentioned: Minolta, Canon, Topcon....

Fotoguy20d

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
Canon A-1 (or AE-1) of course (my first SLR, which I still own 20 years later)

One of my oddball favorites is the Zenit-C, a decendant of the Zorki 1 (ie, Leica II series copy) with added mirror box.

Vonder

Shooter
35mm
The word "classic" means different things to different people. If you mean "of enduring value and desirability" then few cameras will qualify. Minolta's Maxxum 7000, the first AF 35mm SLR, is certainly "classic" in some people's view, but how many are still working today?

OP
OP
BradS

BradS

Shooter
35mm
The word "classic" means different things to different people. If you mean "of enduring value and desirability" then few cameras will qualify. Minolta's Maxxum 7000, the first AF 35mm SLR, is certainly "classic" in some people's view, but how many are still working today?

yes. I was certainly thinking in terms of "enduring value and desirability" and I guess I was also thinking in terms of ubiquity or wide recognition. Many are obvious to me...like the Pentax K-1000, Minolta SRT-101, Olympus OM-1, Canon FTb, etc....

but, I also recognize that my view is biased by my own expereince...so was hoping for others to put forth their widely recognized 35mm SLR of enduring value and desirability....

so, keep 'em coming!

Barry06GT

Shooter
Medium Format
Based on Brad's last post, here are the ones I own, and would never sell:

Olympus OM-2

Nikon FE2

Minolta X7

agfarapid

Shooter
Multi Format
I'd have to submit the Topcon Re Super/Super D slrs of the mid '60's. If I'm not mistaken, it was the first slr with wide open through the lens metering. The Topcons copied the Exakta 3 claw bayonet mount after WWII, had interchangeable finders (prism, waist level) and placed it's Cds meter on tiny slits on the rapid return mirror which allowed you to change finders without losing meter capability. It came out with one of the first 300mm 2.8 telephotos as well as incident metering capability via a white hemisphere attachment which screwed into the 58 mm lens. It was a classic in that it was one of the first system cameras (motor drive, microscope attachments, etc.) and was widely known. The US Navy used these cameras as their official photography system up until the late sixties. Being wedded to the comparatively narrow Exakta lens mount was probably it's downfall since it severly restricted lens design. A very rugged camera and I still have one in working order.

Joachim_I

Shooter
Medium Format
From my point of view (in alphabetical order):

Canon F-1, F-1n, New F-1
Contax RTS II, RTS III
Leica SL, SL2
Minolta XM, XM Motor
Nikon F, F2, F3
Pentax LX

This is very much biased to a certain period.
I only used the F2 from this list.

df cardwell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Nikon F

All before led to it.
All after, from it.

Many good cameras, many interesting cameras. Many desirable.

One classic.

removed-user-1

My vote for THE classic 35mm SLR: Nikon F2A or F2AS. Last mechanical Nikon F-series, and functional with almost all Nikon F-mount lenses, pre- or post-1977, without modification.

Wish I could afford a minty F2AS.

benjiboy

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
I may be a cynic, but what camera is a classic depends if you're buying, or selling.

Eric Rose

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I am sure by the end of this thread just about every 35mm SLR made will be mentioned at least once.

Here are my suggestions:

Nikon F, F2, Nikkormat Ftn
Canon F1, T90
Pentax Spotmatic
Olympus OM1
Minolta XM, SRT 101
Rollei SL2000
and of course the SLR I started out with an Exakta with 50mm Zeiss f2 Tessar lens.

Shooter
Multi Format
Nikon F

All before led to it.
All after, from it.

Many good cameras, many interesting cameras. Many desirable.

One classic.

Me thinks you nailed it. Everything else is just personal preferences.

Ken

2F/2F

Shooter
Multi Format
To me, in this case, classic = that which has defined a class.

So, the class being "35mm SLR cameras", I would have to say that, although it was not the first 35mm SLR, the classic 35mm SLR is the Nikon F and its accompanying system. No bout adoubt it!

df cardwell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I may be a cynic, but what camera is a classic depends if you're buying, or selling.

That's the difference between a marsh and a swamp.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom