Members
Latest member
LucyJoanP2975
Recent bookmarks

oscura

Shooter
35mm
Good morning everybody,

I hope that there is not a thread like this. If yes, i apologize for this...

I'm looking for a new 35mm camera for me. A good one with a very good wide lens.

After some readings, i found the Voigtlander Bessa R4M. What do you think about, it's a little bit expensive but always less than a Leica...

I have readed some threads on a french leica forum but i think that in a Leica place it will be difficult to find somebody enough honnest to say that you can have approximatly the same as a Leica for less that ten times is price...

So, here is my question. I feel good with a 35mm wide lens and i would like to know your point of view of this couple :

- Bessa R4M
- Nokton 35mm 1.4 (SC or MC what is the best? it is the same price in France)

Or, if you know another models which will be very good in the same price for the lens ?

In fact, what do you think about this camera and this lens ?

If somebody has this couple, can you please show me some pictures.

This camera will be my camera of everyday, especially for street photography. That's why i'm looking to the R4 with 28, 35, & 50mm frames :smile:

Thanks in advance for your help

All the best

Oscura°°

takef586

Shooter
Medium Format
If you want to do street photography, in my opinion it is better to have an AE option, so an R4A would be better suited - you can always disable the AE or use the button press to compensate the exposure on the fly. Having to tweak the shuter speeds while shooting in the street will make yu miss lots of opportunities. The second point is, the R4A is best suited for lenses between 21 and 28mm, the 35mm frame is small and the 50mm frame is tiny. I would suggest that you look for a Bessa R2A, which has proper 35mm and 50mm frames. As to the lens, I have not used it myself, but I know it has good opinions, especially if you shoot B&W. I suggest you start looking at rangefinderforum.com, where you can finds lots of interesting offers in the classifieds, and also lots of materials about rangefinder photography. Finally, a Bessa is not a Leica and it is not a Zeiss Ikon either, but for as long as it works, it is a fine tool, so the important thing is that it will let you do good photographs just like a more expensive camera.

Mark Fisher

Shooter
Medium Format
I have a Bessa R and it is a fine camera and the newer ones are supposed to be better. If a 35mm is your primary lens, why not go with the R2A? The bigger frame will be welcome.

KenR

Shooter
Large Format
R4A

I've been very happy with my R4a which I've had for the past two years. It is light and seems well made. But, it is not for low light 50mm lens work. The frame lines fill up a tiny portion of the field and my ability to focus acurately with a 50mm is quite limited when I'm at anything below f5.6. The 35mm lens is a bit more forgiving on the camera. Where it comes into it's own is with a 28mm or the 21mm lens. This is what it is made for. No need for accessory viewfinders, focus with the rangefinder (if not zone focus) and use the auto shutter to compensate for changes in the light. It is the perfect camera for "street" photography and touring on vacation.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom