Well, Today's the day (or night) that I develop my first roll of film!

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by lorirfrommontana, Feb 10, 2009.

1. lorirfrommontana

lorirfrommontana Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am going to develop my first roll (acctually first 3 rolls) of film today! I'm really excited. I have to wait till I get home from 4H so it will be a late night but I don't want to wait until tomorrow! I won't be able to do a print for a while as I'm still waiting for my dark room but I'm ready and have all the supplies for the film! I will let you all know how it turns out!

I will also learn tonight how many photography kids we have this year. I'm hopeing that some of them want to do some work with film. I was thinking it may be fun to try and make pinhole cameras too.

Anyways, wish me luck with my developing!:D

-Lori

2. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the dark side, Lori. And no, I couldn't wait either. And, FYI, the April issue is going to be a pinhole/lensless issue with some interesting DIY stuff.

Good luck tonight.

3. OP
    OP
    lorirfrommontana

lorirfrommontana Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Chris, Cool! I'll be sure to check it out!
    -Lori

4. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good luck with it Lori!

I have an exposed roll of HP5+ and tomorrow I am going out to buy my Chems for my first develop as well!

5. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So Lori, how did you make out? I did yesterday as you saw and was so excited. I was a nervous wreak while in the changing bag and, using 120, at first did not feel the end of the film and beginning of the paper but I worked it out. Please post as this newbie wants to see too.

6. C A Sugg

C A Sugg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it's 35mm, just remember to snip the leader. With my first, no one told me I was supposed to do that. But I managed to get it loaded -- on a "walk-in" plastic reel no less.

7. JohnRichard

JohnRichard Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    YAY! Welcome to the rest of your life, if your like me. I got hooked way back in highschool when I pulled my first roll of Black and White out of the reel.
    You know, CA Snugg, I don't think I have ever snipped the leader. Perhaps that would help with one of my "trouble" reels.. it always sticks.

8. OP
    OP
    lorirfrommontana

lorirfrommontana Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, it went well except I had trouble with one reel! I must have skipped a row and it came out sort of bent with a couple of big white spots on a couple of frames. I also don't have a changeing bag yet and was sitting in the dark when I realized that I didn't have my scissors with me after I had already took the first roll out of the cannister! Fortunately they were in the basement and I knew where they were. It is really hard to walk around a crouded basement in the complete dark!

This morning I went to scan my negatives so I could see better and I lost the insert for my scanner:sad:. It looks like I have some good shots on there though! It was sort of funny. I forgot any of my literature so I guessed on times of everything except the development. I had that with me! Well, I guess I'm going to have to print these on my next day off because I can't wait for the darkroom!

I did find out there are only 5 kids in our photography group but one of them, who will be shooting d*****l said that her dad had an old camera with a bag of lenses that she would like to learn to use so at least a couple of them may want to learn to use the darkroom! I havn't talked to the others yet.

Thanks for all your support! I can't wait to share my photos with you all!

Lori

9. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I understand you excitement! I went through the same thing monday night. I have just processed my second roll and it it is hangin up to dry.

Good luck going forward!!

10. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations to you both and welcome to the dark side.

11. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The white spots were probably air bubbles so be sure to rap the tank sharply after each agitation two or three times. I'm glad it turned out so well. WTG.

12. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lori in no time you'll be just spinning that film on that reel. Yeeeehaa !!! go girl!!! mike