Want to Buy Wanted $10 Leica rangefinder for personal use.

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterjbates
Recent bookmarks
Trader history for eli griggs (4)

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
I read 4 more pages in this thread. It does make me want to offer up the camera. The issue that many have come to realize is that there are not many $10 Leicas in existance. So few that, perhaps they might be considered collector's items. The rarest of rare, assuming one exists.

The free Leica is more common than the $10 one. In fact I got a free Leica a few years back. The Leica Dicomar.

It's a bit dated and takes a dead format but it was free and now I can say I am part of the Leica club.

Rrrgcy

Shooter
Medium Format
A bit analogous to my Tudor Sub worn in war gifted to my brother no conditions, it eventually years later came back freely. Would the gift of a iiif conditioned it be used as stated (maybe 20 rolls or more a year) and that it also be sent back to the ‘seller’ three years later work for the OP? If a gift goes back, is it still a gift freely given? It becomes more like a loaner, and then the next fellah has a shot at this same $10 Leica. That seems magnanimous.

BrianShaw

Shooter
Multi Format
I don’t think “gift” or “loaner” properly characterizes this situation. This request is very different from you, most generously, giving your brother a valued and valuable watch with no strings attached. The “barley corn” turns this situation into a transaction rather than a gift.

Don’t worry… it’s a bit of an long-shot request with almost no possibility of being fulfilled. Even if it was fulfilled… the rest of us are just casual observers and it has no impact on us.

Just enjoy the levity.

And if you want an inexpensive Leica it might be wise to start a new thread with the asking price higher than $35. @Cholentpot already raised the bid up from $10. LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
eli griggs

eli griggs

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
He's been offered those and some other non-Leica rangefinders; and he's declared that he's too good for that crap, and will settle for nothing less than a Leica.

Chris, that is no the case, I can no recall ever actually receiving a legitimate offer and saying that I've said something I've never said/written is crossing a line that should never be done, period.

As far as "other" makers, while I am asking for a Leica, I'll happily accept an offer of a working Tower Nicca or similar well made version to the same Barnack Leica IIIC or later I am asking for, which Feds and other FSU cameras are no.

In the future, I hope you will be more careful of the words you put into other folk's mouths and be more circumspect in the words that come out of your own mouth, it may save you from more unpleasant reactions from others in your future.

Cheers,
Eli

Last edited:
OP
OP
eli griggs

eli griggs

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
In what way have I ever been "Relentlessly demanding..." that any one ever gift me a Leica, Barnack or M?

I made an ask and have left it standing, as is, without regard of those whom condemn me and the ask.

Why upset yourself over a request from another adult, whom is asking, not demanding from you, anything?

I am just fine leaving this up and, hopefully, for me at least, that someone responds in a positive way and even if no ever fulfills that ask, I am fine with that.

Like any other section of the Internet, if you do find me or the ask offensive, as others have done, chose no to click on this message, otherwise, enjoy the thread as you may, without misstating my request, you'll enjoy it all the more and generate less stomach acid to sour your day.

Best Regards,
Eli

PS: Yes, I do have other camera gear, which I am now fitting out a tool cart to pull on to location, it's good stuff, I've been lucky in that regard, however it lacks the form factor I am looking to in a Leica Barnack or M.

Cameras that please the shooter are an important part of the photography experience and I've previously explained, ad nauseam, for my asking for what I've asked for.

I've never hidden the fact that I do have other camera kit, here or on rangefinder forum.com, where I also made the same ask, so try no to sew me out of whole cloth, as someone whom deceive others with this ask or any other.

As for my car, it's still parked in the drive after about four years of no being driven anywhere and my Rozeann's mini van, work car, a old Chrysler that likely predates your auto, is in very used and weather worn shape, but my skilled son keeps it running, in what little time he has off as a manager in his Companie's employ.

In fact today, he stopped by a few hours ago and changed bother her front breaks the rear ones are a future chore.

I only mention this because of your comparison challenge about the age of cars, no to "poor mouth" we do OK on her work paycheck, but to set you straight about about a nonrelative topic conjoined to my original ask, which ticked me off but a little, I have give you a reply.

Enjoy the Holiday,
Eli

Relentlessly demanding, to be so presumptuous to think it’s inoffensive to just pop-up with a request like this, who already owns MF gear, to make a singular demand, for a Leica no less, for (as you say), “a pleasure of simply doing a thing because you can, and forgoing being happy in that act the whole time including afterwards, regardless of the outcome.”

To me it’s ill from an adult; I’d rather make a video of me burning up a iiif on my BBQ and then gifting another iiif (or any model M) to a kid down the street whose father left home years ago whose mother is an alcoholic and whose brother burglarized my car in my driveway.

On RF on 1-26-2021 you wrote, “I have been using Eclipse Lens Cleaner on my Hasselblad and other lenses, and B&W filters, etc, and so far, no damage to any coating has occurred.” Nice enough gear …

Why don’t you drive down to your local Shell gas station, stand around your pump and ask strangers to buy you a tank of fuel? My money says you probably have a nicer car than mine. And my car was made back in the 1990’s.

Relentlessly demanding, to be so presumptuous to think it’s inoffensive to just pop-up with a request like this, who already owns MF gear, to make a singular demand, for a Leica no less, for (as you say), “a pleasure of simply doing a thing because you can, and forgoing being happy in that act the whole time including afterwards, regardless of the outcome.”

To me it’s ill from an adult; I’d rather make a video of me burning up a iiif on my BBQ and then gifting another iiif (or any model M) to a kid down the street whose father left home years ago whose mother is an alcoholic and whose brother burglarized my car in my driveway.

On RF on 1-26-2021 you wrote, “I have been using Eclipse Lens Cleaner on my Hasselblad and other lenses, and B&W filters, etc, and so far, no damage to any coating has occurred.” Nice enough gear …

Why don’t you drive down to your local Shell gas station, stand around your pump and ask strangers to buy you a tank of fuel? My money says you probably have a nicer car than mine. And my car was made back in the 1990’s.

Last edited:

Mike Lopez

Shooter
Large Format
Chris, that is no the case, I can no recall ever actually receiving a legitimate offer and saying that I've said something I've never said/written is crossing a line that should never be done, period.

As far as "other" makers, while I am asking for a Leica, I'll happily accept an offer of a working Tower Nicca or similar well made version to the same Barnack Leica IIIC or later I am asking for, which Feds and other FSU cameras at no.

In the future, I hope you will be more careful of the words you put into other folk's mouths and be more circumspect in the words that come out of your own mouth, it may save you from more unpleasant reactions from others in your future.

Cheers,
Eli

I would like it if Chris would introduce you to the use of the word “not.” You realize there’s a difference between “not” and “no,” right?

I do no know why you do no use the word no when you mean no and no when you mean no.

Mike Lopez

Shooter
Large Format
I would rather not start moderating this thread. So I'm going to suggest that posters limit the number of posts that they make expressing their objections, and to keep the temperature reasonable in their posting.
By “moderating,” I think you mean editing or deleting posts by others, right? You moderate every one of these threads simply by tracking them all and policing them.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
By “moderating,” I think you mean editing or deleting posts by others, right? You moderate every one of these threads simply by tracking them all and policing them.

We could definitely change the focus of this thread by discussing this word usage, but I think it best if we don't :smile:.

FWIW, I personally only use the term "moderating" to describe an action taken in respect of a thread, such as when I:
1) actually do something that involves using one of the moderation tools (such as editing or deleting posts) available; or
2) warn about behavior that may make such actions necessary; or
3) post some other comment in a thread that relates to the thread and the organization of the site - e.g. in another recent thread I posted about making a thread a "Sticky" thread and asked about making it a site Resource.

I personally never consider just monitoring a thread as being moderation of the thread. Perhaps that is because I read threads out of interest far more frequently than I read threads in order to track or police them.

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
I like this thread and want to see it through to Eli's triumphant conclusion...

No-one is forced to read it. So if you don't like the content, well, there is the rest of photrio to spend time on.
And yes, I'm pretty sure I was one of the offended ones at the beginning!

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
I read 4 more pages in this thread. It does make me want to offer up the camera. The issue that many have come to realize is that there are not many $10 Leicas in existance. So few that, perhaps they might be considered collector's items. The rarest of rare, assuming one exists.

An interesting conundrum. If a $10 Leica is so rare it becomes a collector's item, surely the price would rise above $10?

Mike Lopez

Shooter
Large Format
We could definitely change the focus of this thread by discussing this word usage, but I think it best if we don't :smile:.

FWIW, I personally only use the term "moderating" to describe an action taken in respect of a thread, such as when I:
1) actually do something that involves using one of the moderation tools (such as editing or deleting posts) available; or
2) warn about behavior that may make such actions necessary; or
3) post some other comment in a thread that relates to the thread and the organization of the site - e.g. in another recent thread I posted about making a thread a "Sticky" thread and asked about making it a site Resource.

I personally never consider just monitoring a thread as being moderation of the thread. Perhaps that is because I read threads out of interest far more frequently than I read threads in order to track or police them.

I believe post #420 fits your definition of moderating (see criterion #2 in your list).

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
I don’t think “gift” or “loaner” properly characterizes this situation. This request is very different from you, most generously, giving your brother a valued and valuable watch with no strings attached. The “barley corn” turns this situation into a transaction rather than a gift.

Don’t worry… it’s a bit of an long-shot request with almost no possibility of being fulfilled. Even if it was fulfilled… the rest of us are just casual observers and it has no impact on us.

Just enjoy the levity.

And if you want an inexpensive Leica it might be wise to start a new thread with the asking price higher than $35. @Cholentpot already raised the bid up from $10. LOL

I'll even go as far as $40.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
I believe post #420 fits your definition of moderating (see criterion #2 in your list).

It does, other than the "I'd rather not" part of it, as well as the "I'm going to suggest".
Sort of a pre-moderation half warning.
Wording that I chose fairly carefully at the time because, as I posted, this is a strange thread.

alexfilm

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I like this thread and want to see it through to Eli's triumphant conclusion...

"Look what I found at Goodwill!"

BrianShaw

Shooter
Multi Format
Here y’go fellas ($7.99 plus shipping, I assume):

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
I feel this thread is not about a $10 Leica, but is certainly a great study into human character.

Some might argue that any thread today about Leicas is a study into human character :whistling:

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom