Want to Buy Wanted $10 Leica rangefinder for personal use.

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterjbates
Recent bookmarks
Trader history for eli griggs (4)

OP
OP
eli griggs

eli griggs

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
So how does any prospective seller really know this is for personal use? How would anyone know if you get offers of beaters all the time , clean them up and flip them on eBay?

This goes back to how we can buy and sale with some degree of confidence, proven interaction through trust and experiences, especially in the buys and sales of each other.

That said, if you insist of "proof of life" aka (long term possession), so to speak, I'll happily post monthly photographs of any hostage camera I receive, with a current news paper or slice of cake.

If you find you can no trust my promise of using the Leica as a personal camera, you're in no way obligated to send anything but more sceptical posts.

Does that best suit your suspicions?

Cheers.

Last edited:

Rrrgcy

Shooter
Medium Format
I’m unsure why anyone’s multiples of various Leica bodies or lenses ought go out as a gift to anyone outside of their direct family and friend circle. Please explain what is is you do all day each day and on weekends which makes you a ‘contributor’ and not a ‘user’, as in that derogatory sense. What makes you worthy? The giving is a part of the equation, too, not just the receiving. Giving is a thoughtful and action exercise. Who are you And again why you over anyone closer to the giver? It might be easier for each to give you $10 and multiplied you could buy a used M or other Leica. But… why… you?

Which gets me to looking again at your very first post:
Your first post you say, “am looking for a working Leica Barnack or, film 'M' that you'd rather see being used by me, on a regular basics, than sitting in the closet, gathering dust.”

So why would I care a moment about you?

Then you say, “This would be my daily, carry camera, as the SLRs in 35mm have gotten bulky, especially when i carry medium format kit.”

* So you admit you have SLR gear an yet again even MF camera stuff. Well sell that other gear and buy a Leica like so many of us have done instead of asking for that which we’ve worked to acquire. Stop asking. Work To get what you want… and so be an example.

Last edited:

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
I got my first Rolleiflex there for $35 and Rollei 35 for $60 and a Contax IIa color dial with Sonnar 1.5 for $125.

I used to be a big spender

I wanted to go today to the Pasadena City College flea mkt - it’s on the first Sunday of every month- but seeing it was 106 today in Pas I skipped it.
Instead it was 99 at the beach today which is just banana bonkers.

BrianShaw

Shooter
Multi Format
I’m unsure why anyone’s multiples of various Leica bodies or lenses ought go out as a gift to anyone outside of their direct family and friend circle. Please explain what is is you do all day each day and on weekends which makes you a ‘contributor’ and not a ‘user’, as in that derogatory sense. What makes you worthy? The giving is a part of the equation, too, not just the receiving. Giving is a thoughtful and action exercise. Who are you And again why you over anyone closer to the giver? It might be easier for each to give you $10 and multiplied you could buy a used M or other Leica. But… why… you?

Your first post you say, “am looking for a working Leica Barnack or, film 'M' that you'd rather see being used by me, on a regular basics, than sitting in the closet, gathering dust.”

Then you say, “This would be my daily, carry camera, as the SLRs in 35mm have gotten bulky, especially when i carry medium format kit.”

* So you admit you have SLR gear an yet again even MF camera stuff. Well sell that other gear and buy a Leica like so many of us have done instead of asking for that which we’ve worked to acquire. Stop asking. Work To get what you want… and so be an example.

So… you don’t have a Leica to gift Eli?

Bill Burk

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
Thanks for the bump.

I reserve the right to maybe one day make this happen for eli… for now my kids are in college and I want to be able to sell it for more if I have to. I dread the day when a few hundred dollars makes any difference. I look forward to that day I am sure it doesn’t.

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
At the festival today they were selling two street tacos i.e tiny tacos, for $10.
I think the Leica is a better buy for $10.

btaylor

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
If you had driven over to Pasadena you would have at least found fine street tacos for $2- might have made the trip worthwhile!

And I hate you for bumping this thread every season. I can’t ignore it, it’s like a slow motion car wreck- I can’t look away…

OP
OP
eli griggs

eli griggs

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format

I've been frank and these pages are full of exchanges with these questions and my answers, so no, I won't be explaining, or composing additional answers to your or others, as to my "worthiness".

If you are in a position to bestow kit to a person or to a cause of your liking, I urge you to do so, as I and many others here have done on occasion and good on you.

However if you are set on putting up hoops, 'i's to be dotted, 't's to be crossed and essays written of those you're considering gifting kit to, do it your way, and forget the pleasure of simply doing a thing because you can, and forgoing being happy in that act the whole time, including afterwards, regardless of the outcome.

Just because you and others may disapprove of my ask, does no mean I should no or can no make that ask or any other.

Do as you will, I know I'll do the same, as nether of us need permission from anyone.

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
If you had driven over to Pasadena you would have at least found fine street tacos for $2- might have made the trip worthwhile!

And I hate you for bumping this thread every season. I can’t ignore it, it’s like a slow motion car wreck- I can’t look away…

Hmm $10 for two tacos if I walk down the street.
Or $25 in gas to buy $4 of tacos if I drive to Pas..

(those tacos were $10 due to festival pricing)

Don Heisz

Shooter
35mm RF
Let's not forget that @eli griggs needs to be a subscriber here to keep this request alive. He is making a sacrifice for the cause.
If no one has a Leica to give him, maybe give him a Fed or Zorki?

chriscrawfordphoto

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Let's not forget that @eli griggs needs to be a subscriber here to keep this request alive. He is making a sacrifice for the cause.
If no one has a Leica to give him, maybe give him a Fed or Zorki?

He's been offered those and some other non-Leica rangefinders; and he's declared that he's too good for that crap, and will settle for nothing less than a Leica.

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
He's been offered those and some other non-Leica rangefinders; and he's declared that he's too good for that crap, and will settle for nothing less than a Leica.

I agree with Eli. If I could get a Leica for $10, why on earth would I want a Zorki or Fed? Or Nikon for that matter.

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm

I think this thread is going over some peoples heads no?

Of course Eli is too good for that crap. He will settle on nothing less than a mint Leica for $10 with a full set of lenses! If push comes to shove he may pay $11. But if the meter is busted or the RF needs calibration NO DICE!

Rrrgcy

Shooter
Medium Format
Relentlessly demanding, to be so presumptuous to think it’s inoffensive to just pop-up with a request like this, who already owns MF gear, to make a singular demand, for a Leica no less, for (as you say), “a pleasure of simply doing a thing because you can, and forgoing being happy in that act the whole time including afterwards, regardless of the outcome.”

To me it’s ill from an adult; I’d rather make a video of me burning up a iiif on my BBQ and then gifting another iiif (or any model M) to a kid down the street whose father left home years ago whose mother is an alcoholic and whose brother burglarized my car in my driveway.

On RF on 1-26-2021 you wrote, “I have been using Eclipse Lens Cleaner on my Hasselblad and other lenses, and B&W filters, etc, and so far, no damage to any coating has occurred.” Nice enough gear …

Why don’t you drive down to your local Shell gas station, stand around your pump and ask strangers to buy you a tank of fuel? My money says you probably have a nicer car than mine. And my car was made back in the 1990’s.

Last edited:

BrianShaw

Shooter
Multi Format
I don’t have a Leica to offer, so I don’t pay too much attention to the request. Why are you so offended… seems like a waste of your time. Just curious as you are welcome and entitled to feel however you desire to feel.

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
This hobby has some very literal minded people.

I'm going to up Eli Griggs.

I'll pay $25 for a Leica. I'm open to barter too, I have some frozen expired film that I'm willing to part with.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
This is a strange thread. As a moderator, we sometimes step in when a thread goes off the rails. With this thread, it sort of starts off that way - off the rails.
It is clear that for some people, the request made by the OP is more than strange, it is so unreasonable as to be objectionable.
But objectionable in this case is clearly in the eyes of the beholder.
I would rather not start moderating this thread. So I'm going to suggest that posters limit the number of posts that they make expressing their objections, and to keep the temperature reasonable in their posting.

Don Heisz

Shooter
35mm RF

Nothing wrong with a working Fed or Zorki. With a good Industar 26m or Jupiter 8, you can get excellent photos. Of course, you can't get that stuff for $10, either.

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
This is a strange thread. As a moderator, we sometimes step in when a thread goes off the rails. With this thread, it sort of starts off that way - off the rails.
It is clear that for some people, the request made by the OP is more than strange, it is so unreasonable as to be objectionable.
But objectionable in this case is clearly in the eyes of the beholder.
I would rather not start moderating this thread. So I'm going to suggest that posters limit the number of posts that they make expressing their objections, and to keep the temperature reasonable in their posting.

Dear MattKing,

The people getting their knickers in a twist over the request is what is driving the entertainment. By all means I would like to see more people getting offended that someone would dare expect a camera for $10. This is what one may call absurdism or 'trolling' as we used to say and the OP has caught many a fine fat fish in his net. And who knows? Maybe some benefactor may enjoy the humor and gift this person Eli a camera for $10 to keep the rage at a fever pitch.

One can only hope for such a thing.

Cholentpot

Don Heisz

Shooter
35mm RF
I think all Leicas should be released from the shelves and display cases and allowed to roam free. Let them be fruitful and multiply.

Pieter12

Shooter
Super8
How many years has this been going on? If Mr Griggs can afford a subscription for that many years, he surely could pay more for his imaginary $10 Leica. Just the red dot for a Leica lens goes for $6 (not including shipping).

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
I read 4 more pages in this thread. It does make me want to offer up the camera. The issue that many have come to realize is that there are not many $10 Leicas in existance. So few that, perhaps they might be considered collector's items. The rarest of rare, assuming one exists.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom