Volume of Salted Collodion and Silver Nitrate required per in^2 of plate

Discussion in 'Plate Cameras and Accessories' started by BySumbergsStache, Apr 16, 2016.

1. BySumbergsStache

BySumbergsStache Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a limited amount of materials and I'm trying to figure out a ballpark quantity of solution required.

2. case-ie

case-ie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Square inch of plate is not the question, size of plate dictates how much silverbad you need,
    for 4x5 half a liter would be enough in a vertical tank, and make at least 250ml collodion so you can do some plates.
    I'm not so shure how much silver is used per plate But I think after 20 to 25 8x10 plates in a 1200 ml silverbath I check and maintain the silverbad.

3. OP
    OP
    BySumbergsStache

BySumbergsStache Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you for the response. Maybe I should reword it. How much collodion solution is used per 4x5 or 8x10 plate?

You're saying that a 500ml silver nitrate bath is enough for a 4x5 and 1.2L is enough for a 8x10, and that solution will generally last from 20-25 plates?

4. case-ie

case-ie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You better buy a book, I can recommend "chemical pictures" by Quin Jacobson, His youtube channel also has a lot of information.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.