Voigtländer Apo Lanthar 105/4.5

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by MXP, Feb 21, 2009.

1. MXP

MXP Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    What is the optimum apperture for this lens for 6x9?
    It seems that at apperture 8 it is a lot sharper in the center than in the corneres?

I modified a Componon-S 100/5.6 and put it into a Compur shutter. This lens was a lot sharper in the corners at apperture 8......and the lens was very cheap.

2. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    By changing the shutters you have changed the distance between the 2 lensparts.
    Now they are either to wide from each other or too close, in the last case you need shimms.
    Fixing this is tricky......

Peter

3. OP
    OP
    MXP

MXP Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The Componon-S seems to be very sharp. Sharper than the Apo-Lanthar at apperture 8.

The trick with the Componon-S I learned from an older experienced guy :smile: .....he said that the lens has been
    designed with the distance of a standard Compur shutter. It has to be one of the older Componon-S (the ones with all metal). It was very easy to unscrew the two parts and mount them into the Compur shutter. But you may be right that sometimes thin shimms are needed to fine tune the lens......but so far it looks good and a cheap way to get a very sharp lens.

Max

4. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Componons are designed to fit into a copal/compur shutter. I have several I use and for closer subjects they are sharper than the Symmars. (think tabletop photography and repro/dupe work)

5. OP
    OP
    MXP

MXP Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    An additional information: My test with the two lenses (Apo-Lanthar and Componon-S) was done at 2-3 meters. So maybe the Apo-Lanthar is better at longer distances or the lens may be not as good as many claims....or made for portraits where corner sharpness is not an issue. It may also be the case that I should stop down to apperture 16 or 22.

Max

6. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Apo Lanthar is a collectable lens, from a bygone era.

That does not mean it will outperform a Componon S.

Trust your eyes.

7. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That's a little unexpected, since my 150mm Apo-Lanthar seems sharp all over 4x5" at f:8.

8. OP
    OP
    MXP

MXP Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The 150 may be a better optical design then. I just heard from other that the 105 is not super sharp in the corners. What I am looking for is a lens that can put "35mm sharpness" on 6x9. The 100/5.6 Componon-S seems to be able to do it. I have not tried the 105 at appertures 11 or 16. It may be better there.