Threads
Members
Latest member
Drumfishie
Recent bookmarks

LizaRoos

Shooter
35mm
I have recently gotten my hands on a Voightlander Vito CSR.
It looks to be in good condition, so I'm very excited to start shooting.
However, I can't figure out which battery I need. I assume the original batteries are no longer made, but surely there's an equivalent?

Does anyone have any idea which battery I can use?

R.Gould

Shooter
Multi Format
as far as I know you don't need a battery, the Vito cla ,which is the next one in the range, has a selinuim meter and the shutter is a pronto slk 500 which is manual,, at least the one I have does not have a battery and the instruction book, from the Butkess site, which covers the csr as well has no mention of a bettery, you need film in the camera to set the shutter as you wind, so you can't try the shutter without film loaded, Like all of the comprehensive Vito range, which started with the Vito folders then Vito b, vitomatics up to the Vito csr and cla always never had a battery and you need a film to use it, If the meter is not working, it happens with these old cameras, then you will need a hand held ot a camera with a working meter, or use the sunny 16 ruke and get out and enjoy a great little camera
Richard

BMbikerider

Shooter
35mm
I have searched the web and cannot actually find information on the camera you describe. There are numerous 'Vito' models and those I have seen with a meter do not require a battery. The metering was with a selenium cell which worked very much like a tiny solar panel. If your camera has a square area on the front which looks a bit like a plastic covered honeycomb, then that is a selenium cell.

If it it has a small round plastic covered 'window' about 1/4" in diameter then that will be a CDS cell. This can be confirmed elsewhere on the camera because somewhere on the body will be a circular removable cover about 3/4" in diameter (Usually on the base). It will possibly have a slot as well so that a coin can be used to unscrew the cover. There may even be an on/off switch. Cameras of this era with CDS metering usually took a mercury cell of 1.35V (PX625) but are no longer available, but replacements called Wein Cells will fit and work. They will last about a year once activated

If it has the honeycomb selenium cell and if the camera is pointed at a light source and the needle doesn't work, then I am afraid the cell may well be life expired. I sincerely doubt that it can be resurrected. Some cases however may be repaired if the connections inside have simply corroded and can be made to work, so long as the light sensitive cell is functioning.

bernard_L

Shooter
Multi Format
Vito CSR uses a Se lightmeter. If you have the Skopar lens, the shutter is working, the rangefinder is accurate, the viewfinder is clean, you have a wonderful camera. The meter is non-essential. As it seems this is a new-to-you camera, let me mention that the shutter is cocked via the action of the film on the sprocket wheel. So, absent the film, you need to turn the sprocket wheel with your finger to cock the shutter and check its operation.

neilt3

Shooter
Multi Format
However, I can't figure out which battery I need. I assume the original batteries are no longer made, but surely there's an equivalent?

Does anyone have any idea which battery I can use?

On the bottom of the forum page there is a box containing similar threads , in it is just the one about the same model of camera you have .
https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/voigtlander-vito-csr-a-not-so-usual-model.134741/

In it the O.P discribes your camera as "Its main feature is a Cds coupled meter."

So yes , it needs a battery .
As already mentioned it's a 1.35 volt cell intended for it , you can by these for hearing aids , though they have a relatively short life .
Or you can buy an adapter to use the 1.5 volt cells in them . Be aware , if you buy an adapter you'll need the type that reduces the voltage as well using a shotty diode ( sp ?) , not just the physical size .

I have several cameras that use these batteries but I just put in a regular PX625 .
The voltage is too high for the meter to work correctly when the battery is new , and as it get's older the voltage drops .
This should therefor give inconsistant readings , IIRC not just due to an inconsistant voltage , but due to it being the wrong voltage can give incorrect readings depending on the light levels .

However , in the cameras I have used these batteries fitted , all the shots have come out fine .
I only shoot negatives ( colour and B&W) , where the film latitude (or printing) probably has covered up any errors in exposures .
Shooting reversal film (slides) you should probably make sure you have the right battery .

OP
OP

LizaRoos

Shooter
35mm
Thank you so much everyone for the great advice! I'll try to find an adapter and I'll try the PX625 as well!

OP
OP

LizaRoos

Shooter
35mm
I tried a PX625 battery... it’s too small. The battery compartment is about 15mm wide and quite deep...
I’m going on a hunt this weekend see if I can find a battery that fits

R.Gould

Shooter
Multi Format
Liza, try a LR44 battery, should fit, then test the meterreading against a none correct meter/camera and adjust the setting to suit, if the reading is say one stop over then set the camera meter to 100 instead of 200 and you should get the correct reading, personally I would tend to use another light meter with this camera, that way you would not need a battery, it is only for the meter, and with all of my old cameras, and I have a lot, I never use anything else, I prefer a hand held meter as I don't find the older meters in these cameras to be that accurate,
Richard

OP
OP

LizaRoos

Shooter
35mm
Richard, thank you for the advice! I hadn’t even thought of using a separate light meter!

Sule

Shooter
35mm RF
Guys, I have this camera, and it looks like lightmeter does not work. I put px625a inside. Green arrow moves when aperture or shutter speed is changed, but nothing happens when light conditions change. Can someone describe how it works, or perhaps share manual with me? Thanks!

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom