Members
Latest member
jrhii
Recent bookmarks

Swordman

Shooter
35mm
Hey folks,

I don't know if this is allowed here, but I thought some of you might like it. I made a video on the best 35mm film cameras:

Hope you guys like it :smile:

film_man

Shooter
Multi Format
Nice. But the 10 best? Nah you missed a few.

Les Sarile

Shooter
35mm
Hey folks,

I don't know if this is allowed here, but I thought some of you might like it. I made a video on the best 35mm film cameras:
Hope you guys like it :smile:

Canon New F-1 - @ 8:36 "fire the camera at all speeds without a battery." Without a battery, you only have sync speed to top speed available. You also show the original Canon F-1 @ 8:26 and 8:43.
Not my top 10 but done well.

Pioneer

Shooter
Multi Format
Well done. Another take on the 10 best camera concept that never satisfies anyone. I think I would have included the Spotmatic before the MX but everyone likes the MX as well.

Enjoyed it.

OP
OP

Swordman

Shooter
35mm
Thanks for watching :smile:

Whittling these things down to ten is very tricky!

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
Can't be a good list as only one of these ten is part of my collection...

As others hinted at such listing is most questionable, starting with the term "best", up to the range out of which to choose.

narsuitus

Shooter
Multi Format
I had to watch the video to see if my top 5 were included in your top 10. I was satisfied.

Nikon F2
Leica M6
Pentax Spotmatic
Canon F1
Fuji ST705

REAndy

Shooter
Multi Format
Just an observation, you seem to credit Stanley Kubrick with a photo of an Apollo astronaut on the moon (during your Leica M6 montage) We know Kubrick didn't take that photo, and it certainly wasn't a 35mm Leica (Hasselblad went to the moon).

E. von Hoegh

Shooter
Multi Format
10 best 35mm slr film cameras. 7 Nikon F2, 3 Nikon F.
Rangefinder, 3 Kiev II, 4Contax II, 3 Contax IIa

OP
OP

Swordman

Shooter
35mm
Just an observation, you seem to credit Stanley Kubrick with a photo of an Apollo astronaut on the moon (during your Leica M6 montage) We know Kubrick didn't take that photo, and it certainly wasn't a 35mm Leica (Hasselblad went to the moon).

Yeah, that was a conscious decision. You see, there is some controversy as to whether we went to the Moon or not, and one of the leading conspiracy theories is that NASA helped Kubrick getting some of the science right for 2001: a space oddysee and in turn, Kubrick helped NASA set up a studio with front projection to simulate being on the Moon. That was a little nod to those conspiracy theorists!

REAndy

Shooter
Multi Format
You see, there is some controversy as to whether we went to the Moon or not
Your kidding right?
Here we are on a photography forum, and one of the most touted "proofs" we didn't go to the moon was because of the lack of stars in the photographs brought back. Are you kidding me? They didn't do any HDR back then. Remove this "proof" from their argument and let's see what happens. Good Grief.

Theo Sulphate

Shooter
Multi Format
Excellent video. I especially liked the ads and marketing material -- such variety!

film_man

Shooter
Multi Format
Yeah, that was a conscious decision. You see, there is some controversy as to whether we went to the Moon or not, and one of the leading conspiracy theories is that NASA helped Kubrick getting some of the science right for 2001: a space oddysee and in turn, Kubrick helped NASA set up a studio with front projection to simulate being on the Moon. That was a little nod to those conspiracy theorists!

Maybe if people stopped nodding and winking to all the crackpots, consipary theorists and deniers of stuff their own eyes tell them my kids wouldn't be facing a global climate catastrophe. You nod=you join the stoopid club

M-88

Shooter
Multi Format
We all have our preferences. Well, here go my opinions:

1. Rollei 35. Its maker has no idea that subject called "ergonomics" exists in this universe. And no, passing several rolls of film through it did not help me, in case someone says that "It needs some getting used to". Granted it is indeed a marvel, but I'd much rather use a little bit larger and heavier because R35 leaves a lot to wish for.
2. I wouldn't put both of Pentax K1000 and Pentax MX on the list, K1000 is a fairly basic camera, MX does everything K1000 can do, plus a few more things and it is lighter. K2 would make more sense over K1000 because K2 has aperture priority mode, while K1000 and MX do not.

You completely left out Olympus OM-1, which would be nice to include here, because Olympus is the reason SLRs started to get more compact in the seventies (thank god).

Whatever I say is my personal opinion, like your video is a reflection of your personal opinion, nothing wrong with either of those and I actually admire your effort, I would never put myself to make a video.

Cheers

M.

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
We all have different ideas, I would have chosen an Exakta and a Pratktina, both important cameras in terms of progression, a Contax III and/or Nikon SP, a Leica M3, a Nikon F, a Spotmatic F, a Canon F1, and an early autofocus Minolta, and a PenFT. Still interesting though :D

Ian

cooltouch

Shooter
Multi Format
It was a well done video, but opinions will always differ. I know mine do. The video should be called "The 10 Best Mechanical 35mm Cameras"
And in that respect, mine are, in alphabetical order:

Canon F-1n (second version of the original, all-mechanical model)
Canon FTb
Leica M6
Minolta SRT-101
Nikon F2
Nikon FM2
Nikkormat (choose one, they're all good)
Olympus OM-1
Pentax KX
Pentax MX

I didn't include any of the Nikonos models because I consider them to be specialty cameras. I don't agree about the Rollei 35 because there were other rangefinders that were better and more ergonomic -- like the optically superb Canon QL17 GIII.

Shooter
Large Format
Thanks for sharing the video, it was interesting and amusing. I expected to disagree with almost every choice as I usually do with these "lists", but actually I agree with your point of view in almost all cases excepting few cameras that really shouldn't be there, like the Nikonos V (which stands for FIVE) or the Olympus PEN F. But I'm glad you included the latter as I didn't know about the image path inside the camera and it was interesting to learn about it.

M-88

Shooter
Multi Format
I don't agree about the Rollei 35 because there were other rangefinders that were better and more ergonomic -- like the optically superb Canon QL17 GIII.
Or even Petri Color 35 (regular one, not 35E) which is also tiny, but with traditional control layout.

Shooter
Multi Format
Thanks! I enjoyed it. His picks are backed with solid facts. I hope this will make people appreciate film cameras. The good thing about these cameras is you keep them for a long time because they don't go "Obsolete" in the pursuit of megapixels.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom