Vale London Pro Darkrooms

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Ross Chambers, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure where to post this, but here goes:

http://www.richardnicholson.com/darkroom/

How many of my beloved DeVere 504's (so well photographed here) will end up as scrap? And--compared to the inhumanly neat computer "Light Rooms"--aren't some of these delightfully messy?

Regards - Ross

2. E76

E76 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    An absolutely beautiful series! Very interesting to see how others work.

3. BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    DeVere's, to my mind, are the unequivocal standard by which all others are measured. I was recently replacing my 4x5 enlarger and found several DeVere's for sale. Unfortunately I just don't have the headroom in my basement darkroom. I eventually replaced my D5500 with one of the same and it will serve me well as did my other one...................................but I really wanted a DeVere!! I mean really!

Bob H

4. Mike Crawford

Mike Crawford Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oi!
    Where's my 504 gone?
    Maybe my darkroom wasn't messy enough though it's still on Richard's website!

These were shot a year or two ago and sadly I know that a few of these darkrooms are no more.

5. 36cm2

36cm2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ross, thanks for this. Really fantastic stuff. Can anyone tell me what's going on with the enlarger table in "gordon bishop associates #2?" Looks like he's got a self-contained timer/easel setup that's way modern. Never seen anything like that before.

Leo

6. BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a feeling its an on-easel analyzer with roll paper easel. My father had lab and I seem to recall he had something like this in the late fifties / early sixties made by Agfa. Anyway - that's my guess.

Bob H

7. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    That most likely is a lucht roll easel . I used one of these for years and years in a couple of different labs I worked in.

8. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    nice to see Mike Spry's area, I've long drooled over his lith prints.

9. 36cm2

36cm2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Thanks for the roll easel clarification. It's almost as cool as that monster Durst enlarger (with the 20 foot track) that's on the darkroom portraits thread.

10. CuS

CuS Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    These are amazing!

But, they make me sad - I am 38 and feel like I was born 20 years too late - I can't stand to watch this sort of thing die. I will resist!

11. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These were the darkrooms of custom pro printers? I thought I spotted some boxes of RC...

Tom.

12. 36cm2

36cm2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

CuS, I was thinking about your comment and I'm torn on whether the evolution (or devolution depending on how you feel about it) of photography from analog to digital is that sad. Personally, I would never have been able to become this interested and involved in analog photography, paticularly processing and printing, if equipment prices had remained where they were 20 years ago. The saddest part of any shrinking art is loss of knowhow, but I'm guessing that you and I are getting more information from this site in a month than we would have in several months of less frequent contact with locals in the industry 20 years ago. And, luckily, there are still a slough of professional photographers out there (many thanks to them) that swear by analog and provide the world with new fine art in the medium everyday. All in all, I feel lucky to have an attainable interest and easily accessible resources to learn more about it. As long as we can secure the longevity of film manufacturing, hopefully we'll be alright. Now, will I be able to say the same about any kids I may have down the road? Who knows. But they'll probably think I'm a crazy old man for using that antique film stuff anyway.

Leo