Vacuum frame/exposure unit for 25.5x36 platinum prints: a few questions

Discussion in 'Wet and Dry Hybrid prints' started by rob3rt5, Dec 19, 2013.

1. rob3rt5

rob3rt5 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi- This is my first post so, please be gentle. I'm hoping to set up a platinum/palladium workstation in my rented home. I'm hoping to use Arches Platine bonded to 25.5x36 lith plates punched with registration pins. I'm rather confused as to which exposure unit/vacuum frame to get. I'd also appreciate some advice about registration pin size.
    I'm hoping to do multiple registrations (hits) on my prints with negative created for separate highlights, mid tones and shadows in the spirit of David Chow and (my photographic hero) Irving Penn.
    Thank you all so very much in advance for your help. I'm so very excited to begin on this path. It is quite simply the culmination of a dream for me.

Respectfully yours-
    Robert Savard

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2013
  2. pschwart

pschwart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In-camera or digital negatives?

3. OP
    OP
    rob3rt5

rob3rt5 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Digital negative printed on Epson 7800 w/ Piezography inks and QTR

4. DennyS

DennyS Member

Shooter:
    Hybrid
    Robert,

If you have a basic workshop you could build it all yourself. I'm in Redding, I'd be happy to show you how I've done it (on a smaller scale, 11x14).

Denny

5. OP
    OP
    rob3rt5

rob3rt5 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Denny- Thank you so much but I don't have any wood working or metal working tools and no place to keep them. I was hoping not to have to create a workshop in order to play with all the great printers on here. ;-)

6. OP
    OP
    rob3rt5

rob3rt5 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Danny- I would love to pay you a visit and see what you've done. I'm sure I could learn loads from you. Thanks for the invitation.

7. DennyS

DennyS Member

Shooter:
    Hybrid
    Robert,
    Send me an email at dspector@charter dot net.
    Denny

8. pschwart

pschwart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This strategy makes more sense using in-camera negatives. Why go to the trouble of mounting your paper and registering multiple negatives when one of the greatest advantages of digital negatives is you can capture exactly the range of tones and all the other tweaks you want with a single negative? You might just be able to squeeze a bit more dmax with multiple shadow exposures.

9. OP
    OP
    rob3rt5

rob3rt5 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Phillip- It's the increase in d-max that I'm looking for. I'm not sure if I'll need separate negatives for the process other than using them as masks to dodge and burn globally (or selectively if I alter them in Photoshop?).
    I do know that I'll need multiple hits to achieve the d-max I'm after (1.8) in the shadows. I'm also looking forward to achieving more depth in my prints.

Robert

10. pschwart

pschwart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Understood. If you just want more dmax and lively shadows, you can also try a gum layer, wax or glaze your prints. Or try carbon transfers where it's not not terribly difficult to hit 1.9-2.0. More control of image tone and choice of papers, too. :smile:

11. OP
    OP
    rob3rt5

rob3rt5 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks Phillip. You've given me a lot to think about. Much appreciated.