Underpowered UV exposure box?

Discussion in 'Wet Process Machine & Traditional Prints' started by Ecoleica, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Ecoleica

Ecoleica Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi all, I am fairly new to alternative printing and I have been wanting to get consistent results with my cyanotypes (soon to be salt prints). So i contacted a local screen printing company that makes their own uv exposure boxes and purchased one of their units. I have done a bit of experimenting with it and it seems woefully underpowered for digital negatives (one step print took around 2 hours to expose!). I have attached a photo of the box. Currently there are 6x T5 8W tubes. Now I can always add more T5 Tubes to the unit or I could start from scratch and build something bigger and more powerful myself. What are your thoughts?

IMG_3566.jpg

2. pschwart

pschwart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can do a lot better than that box.

Build your own with at least 8 T8 BL bulbs.
    Use electronic ballasts.
    The bulbs are way too far apart in the unit you purchased.
    Install a fan to keep the bulbs cool.
    I think a pizza oven design (with a door) is safer and provides better cooling
    18" BL bulbs can be had for about $4 each and they last for years.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2015
  3. Doyle Thomas

Doyle Thomas Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    could be your chemistry too

4. OP
    OP
    Ecoleica

Ecoleica Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No issue with the chemistry that i know...I get good results when using the sun as a UV source

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.