U.S. photographer Anthony Suau wins World Press Photo contest

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by johnnywalker, Feb 14, 2009.

1. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. wayne naughton

wayne naughton Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    it's a fine photograph and Suau's a very fine photographer. one of his pictures in his book on eastern europe haunts me (fasonovo, Bulgaria, 1994). it's a wicked indictment that the industry cannot support a man of his quality

3. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I applaud him for finding a story (before almost anyone else did), pursuing it doggedly, and portraying it professionally.

That said, there's no blewdy way this is the best photo of the year. It's average, more of an outtake from a collection than a centrepiece.

4. wrench

wrench Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    he also happens to be out of work.

http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/content_display/esearch/e3i6a1d515f274b8d4ed8e195162b493e43

I think it's an unfortunate state of things. Being so highly regarded in your field and yet not being able to make a living off of it. Regardless of whether or not it's the BEST photo of the year, he's still an excellent photographer. And if he doesn't have the chops to make it, then who does? I can't imagine things are very pretty for those down in the trenches just starting out. Economic conditions like this will dissuade people from taking up photography altogether and with fewer people in the discipline and less competition to drive creativity and innovation, the quality of our visual culture could slowly erode.

5. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  6. wayne naughton

wayne naughton Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF

7. wayne naughton

wayne naughton Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
  8. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    It is a good press picture, I just wonder why the cop needs a gun to see if the evicted family have left the property ?

9. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Outhouse/bus shelter, not bad for my memory, but I was sure that was the photo you had in mind.

Out of print photo books seem to often command high prices. If I was a gambler, it might be worth to invest in these books.

10. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think the concern is more that there might be squatters living in the house.

11. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    My initial surprise David, was because as you probably know the ordinary beat policemen in the U.K.who would deal with this sort of matter are not armed, It's only special armed response (SWAT) and regional crime sqad type units that are, and they wouldn't be used to evict squatters.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2009
  12. Guillaume Zuili

Guillaume Zuili Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Colin, I wish you to do that kind of average photography, everyday. since at least 20 years, in the places where he was. This is more than picture framing, this is content.

:smile:

13. wayne naughton

wayne naughton Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    If you want to check out Suau's complete portfolio from which this picture was taken you can find it in the March issue of the digital journalist. The picture is much stronger when put in it's proper context.

http://www.digitaljournalist.org/

wayne