TSR-4 Thrift Store Find.. now how do I make it work?

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keezly
Recent bookmarks

photomem

Shooter
Medium Format
I was at a thrift shop today and found an odd device. It is a Drew Refining TSR-4 Terminal Silver Recovery. I paid 3.00 for it, and now I am trying to figure out how it works.

It appears to work off a DC cathode system, with two rods running down the side, and a spinning circular piece. I know it cannot be a simple as pouring used fix into it and letting it roll, but does anyone have any information about this thing?

mexico531

Shooter
Medium Format
Not sure about this one...but when I was production manager in a pro lab we used a similar device, albeit much bigger. I wasn't directly invoved with this myself, it was the QC managers baby, but IIRC the dilution of the fixer and bleach that went through was quite critical to get the best performance. The recovered silver used to collect on the spinning drum, and it was interesting to see it when it was broken off.

Mike Wilde

Shooter
Multi Format
The phrase 'terminal' leads me to believe that it might be more related to final wash drippings etc in a washless minilab? I have a Fuji FRSS rig gifted to me from a minilab owner for silver recovery. It uses activated resin cartridges. I have two. Have not needed to use it yet (HHW depot takes my exhausted fixer and bleaches and toners for free), but I might start to use it if the HHW of photo chemistry situation changes.

OP
OP

photomem

Shooter
Medium Format
I am going to save up some exhausted fixer and give it a try (outside). Whats the worst that could happen?

msage

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
We may have used one in a lab I worked at years ago. Can you post a photo?
Michael

I was at a thrift shop today and found an odd device. It is a Drew Refining TSR-4 Terminal Silver Recovery. I paid 3.00 for it, and now I am trying to figure out how it works.

It appears to work off a DC cathode system, with two rods running down the side, and a spinning circular piece. I know it cannot be a simple as pouring used fix into it and letting it roll, but does anyone have any information about this thing?

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom