Threads
Members
Latest member
odeo606
Recent bookmarks

pstake

Shooter
Multi Format
Well, I've been taking 35mm and MF photos a long time, but I just took the plunge and ordered a GV II kit.

Pretty excited, right now.

But alas, I need a tri-pod for it.

You all probably know that it's mounted on a rail that has its own tilt handle but no pan, ah, handle.

Can someone recommend a good tri-pod that will allow me to have full movement?

Tom1956

Shooter
Large Format
A good ole' dependable rock solid and cheap to buy Leitz Tiltall. As good as any tripod needs to be.

E. von Hoegh

Shooter
Multi Format
Well, I've been taking 35mm and MF photos a long time, but I just took the plunge and ordered a GV II kit.

Pretty excited, right now.

But alas, I need a tri-pod for it.

You all probably know that it's mounted on a rail that has its own tilt handle but no pan, ah, handle.

Can someone recommend a good tri-pod that will allow me to have full movement?

You don't need a pan handle, those are for movie cameras...:wink:
Get a Tiltall.

Tom1956

Shooter
Large Format
I've got my Horseman 8x10 with the big L arms sitting atop my Tiltall. It works, although with any rough treatment at all it would probably snap off like a dead twig. But for a 4x5 like a Graphic or a Calumet, the Tiltall is more than enough tripod for the job.

OP
OP
pstake

pstake

Shooter
Multi Format
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. Sounds like Tiltall would be a good choice!

Dan Fromm

Shooter
Multi Format
I got up this morning feeling contrary and after a stint of yard work -- she who must be obeyed decreed that we'd clean up the side beds -- I'm feeling more so. And I have an all-metal Star-D imitation Tiltall in the closet. Haven't used it for years, and there are reasons why.

On the one hand, Tiltalls have an integral three-axis head. To my tastes a three-axis head is much preferable to a ball head. Score one for the Tiltall.

On the other hand, and this may not be true of real Tiltalls (Marchioni or Leitz N.Y.), clamping the Star D's head tight shifts the point of aim a tiny bit. This is tolerable with short lenses, wasn't tolerable with my Questar 700 or with long (for the format) lens on a cine camera. So here's a possible (great stress possible) Tiltall weak point.

The legs have short bearing surfaces between the sections, so the tripod isn't particularly stiff in torsion. This is inherent in the design. I retired the Star-D, replaced it with a Bogen 3221 to be able to use a fluid head with my cine cameras. Cam type leg locks, same short bearing surfaces and poor torsional stiffness, especially when old. I once visited B&H and swung from every tripod on the floor. Only a very expensive and huge Gitzo had good stiffness in torsion. Only one!

I now use a Berlebach 8043 and an ancient Ries. These have much longer bearing surfaces between the sections, are much steadier than tripods with screw type leg locks.

The Graphic View II has an integral pan-tilt head. Leveling the camera is more difficult when it isn't on a three-axis head, requires adjusting the legs. I use a ball leveler (learned about them when learning film, still photographers tend not to see their virtues) between three-axis head and the tripod's platform to level my cameras.

L Gebhardt

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
Just get a head that supports the Arca Swiss dovetail plates. The clamps will grab hold of the triangular rail of the GVII. Years ago I bought a GVII with a small clamp designed to replace the tripod head (lets you mount on regular head). Recently I found it fit just fine on my Acratech ball head without the custom clamp.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Jones

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I rarely extend the leg sections of a Tiltall quite all the way. This should improve stability.

bdial

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
The camera's tilt handle may get in the way of the tripod head's handle, if nothing else, I found it confusing. So I substituted an appropriate length bolt for the handle and do any tilting with the tripod head.
A Tiltall would work, or any of the medium to large size Bogan/Manfrotto's are good values.

OP
OP
pstake

pstake

Shooter
Multi Format
The camera's tilt handle may get in the way of the tripod head's handle, if nothing else, I found it confusing. So I substituted an appropriate length bolt for the handle and do any tilting with the tripod head.
A Tiltall would work, or any of the medium to large size Bogan/Manfrotto's are good values.

This makes sense. I actually have a pretty stout manfrotto (See crude iphone photo attached).

But I'm not sure what head I would need, or even how to take this head off...or if it even comes off.

photo (1).JPG

OP
OP
pstake

pstake

Shooter
Multi Format
Is that plastic parts I see there?

No, steel. Just painted.

Edit: or anodized. I'm not real sure how to tell the difference.

John Koehrer

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
FWIW. The head just unscrews. There are three screws under the tripod's mounting plate. They have to be loosened
for the head to unscrew.
Does the head you have have a model # on it? Some of the Bogus, I mean Bogen are substantial enough.

shutterfinger

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
Raise the center column and look at the bottom of the column plate. If there are screws along the outside perimeter, usually 3, loosen them 2 or 3 turns. Hold the column and turn the head counter clockwise and unscrew. They can be very tight if factory mounted and may require a strap wrench to loosen. The GV II clamp can be mounted directly to the column as the head was.
Instructions for the View II:
http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/GVII-Instruct2.pdf

Shooter
4x5 Format
Any heavy-duty enough tripod with a sturdy enough three-way head will work fine for your Graphic View.

My first camera was a Graphic View II and I still use it on occasion. It is a well-built and reliable piece of equipment. The only weak point is the silly tripod head/rail clamp set up. I had a clamp made for my GVII that attaches directly to the pan/tilt head of a tripod and it made the entire set-up much easier to use and a lot less cumbersome. Try the clamp that L Gebhardt suggests above or other similar rail clamps. I see some on eBay from time to time that could possibly be modified to work. Take a look at http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tripod-...630713543?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item1e6a3280c7 .

Or do like I did and have a machinist make you one or modify your existing rail clamp. You'll be glad you did and have a monorail kit that you can use for years.

Best,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com

mdarnton

Shooter
8x10 Format
FYI, the Graphic View head IS a pan/tilt head. The same handle locks both, and there are people who really like that arrangement. It's perfectly functional on a tripod base with no head at all, with the restriction that the mounting hole is 1/4" and most modern tripods have 3/8" mounting studs. Manfrotto makes an adapter, though.

fotch

Shooter
Multi Format
Never have had problems with my stock View II. If your having problems, many someone misused the tilt head.

L Gebhardt

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
My issue with the original head is you can't level the head left to right without a leveling base for the tripod, or adjusting the legs. That's why I quickly stopped using the factory head.

You post got me to pull out the GVII again. This lead me to find that my post earlier about the Acratech clamp being able to work with the GVII rail is incorrect. Sorry. I tried it again, and the clamp doesn't open up wide enough. It's been years since I've used the GVII and I guess my memory is going. The Arca Swiss clamp I was using was a Kirk, which can apparently open much wider than the other clamps I have in the house. So it may not be so easy to use just any Arca Swiss compatible clamp on a regular head. Still, the Kirk clamp works very well.

As far as tripods go I recommend carbon fiber if you plan to hike. But I would also say the GVII isn't a good camera for hiking, so you might as well go with a good aluminum tripod.

Shooter
4x5 Format
FYI, the Graphic View head IS a pan/tilt head. The same handle locks both, and there are people who really like that arrangement. It's perfectly functional on a tripod base with no head at all, with the restriction that the mounting hole is 1/4" and most modern tripods have 3/8" mounting studs. Manfrotto makes an adapter, though.

Yes, yes, the GVII head is pan and tilt, but as mentioned above, it won't level left to right and requires a lot of tripod leg fiddling unless you are on a level surface. And, it's a pain to have to keep the camera tilt correct while panning, and vice-versa. Plus, the GVII heads are often old and worn and do not lock down securely. If the OP has a good one, mounting it on a leveling base would be a solution. I'm really happy I had a custom clamp made for mine. :smile:

Best,

Doremus

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom