Tried lith printing again. Here are the results.

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
178,700
Messages
2,458,273
Members
94,614
Latest member
Martin C
Recent bookmarks
0

photomem

Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2009
Messages
624
Shooter
Medium Format
The paper is Arista.edu Ultra RC. Developer is Arista 2 Part Liquid Lith Developer. I am somewhat happy with the results, but the colors seem to be very muted, or maybe I am just insane. I made sure the developer was quite warm, about 80 Degrees F if I remember correctly, I slightly overexposed the print, and timed my developing (around 12 minutes.)

Observations? Suggestions? Comments?
 

Attachments

  • buddhalith.jpg
    buddhalith.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 226
  • hallofshadows.jpg
    hallofshadows.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 205

Mark Fisher

Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2003
Messages
1,691
Location
Chicago
Shooter
Medium Format
They look like they either developed enough (the blacks aren't particularly black...especially the second image). Usually, you don't time the development. You develop until the the darkest shadows look right. If it still looks low contrast when you get good blacks, then try exposing it a bit less. It might be that the paper is the problem too. I don't know anyone using the RC version of that paper for lith. It sure looks different than the fiber version lithed. You might consider trying a different paper like Fomatone or maybe Emaks. If cost is a serious consideration, Slavich Unibrom or Bromoportrait both are nice.
 

mooseontheloose

Moderator
Joined
Sep 20, 2007
Messages
4,099
Location
Kyoto, Japan
Shooter
Multi Format
What was your dilution? How much did you overexpose the print? I've never used Arista Lith developer but I like the results that come out of 1+25 or weaker dilutions (more colour, less contrast). My exposures usually run in the 2-3 minute range, although I've done less and more. I like the colours in your prints (I currently like the muted look) but I agree with Mark that the blacks should be darker. One trick I've learned is to print a black border around the image -- usually the rebate, but sometimes I make one -- if it's not truly black, then the blacks in my print are probably not black enough either.

If it makes you feel any better, I've just finished trying out a new paper for lith with Fotospeed LD20 developer, and the development times ran from 22 minutes (the shortest) to over an hour. And that was in warmer-to-hot lith as well. After four hours I have 6 prints to show for it (and I was doing 2 at a time!). How many prints did you do? It's often worth doing a few (again, I usually do between 6-10 versions of the same image) to get different variations of blacks and colours. Depending on what you like, the first couple of prints can be either really great or really blah. Sometimes the prints keep getting better and better! It's hard to know when to stop. But take what I say with a grain of salt -- I'm far from being an expert, and this is just in my limited experience.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Fisher

Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2003
Messages
1,691
Location
Chicago
Shooter
Medium Format
They look like they either developed enough (the blacks aren't particularly black...especially the second image). Usually, you don't time the development. You develop until the the darkest shadows look right. If it still looks low contrast when you get good blacks, then try exposing it a bit less. It might be that the paper is the problem too. I don't know anyone using the RC version of that paper for lith. It sure looks different than the fiber version lithed. You might consider trying a different paper like Fomatone or maybe Emaks. If cost is a serious consideration, Slavich Unibrom or Bromoportrait both are nice.

I'm sorry...I meant to say they looked like they weren't developed enough to get solid blacks. I also agree that the color, while not over the top, looks nice especially with these images. I mentioned those other papers just in case you can't get the results you like with the Arista RC paper.
 

Andrew T

Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2009
Messages
34
Location
Boulder, CO
Shooter
Medium Format
Interesting, I've been messing around with the same paper+developer combo you're using and have been getting much different results. I'm using the 1:1:24 dilution, and Arista EDU pearl RC paper. The prints I've made so far have been quite contrasty with enormous grain. Developing times have been around 15 minutes. I've been trying to figure out how to tame the grain a little bit but haven't had any luck with increasing the developer concentration... What kind of dilution are you using?
 

Rich Ullsmith

Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2007
Messages
1,136
Shooter
Medium Format
This paper has a developing agent in the emulsion. The data sheet doesn't say exactly what it is, but you are not going to get infectious development.
 

Andrew T

Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2009
Messages
34
Location
Boulder, CO
Shooter
Medium Format
After much frustration trying to use the EDU.ultra for lith printing yesterday, I pulled out my pack of Fotokemika Emaks and all my problems were solved!

Didn't know about the developing agent in the emulsion, should've checked into that before wasting a bunch of paper. Oh well, at least it's cheap.
 
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom