Travel bag for Linhof Baby Technika kit?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Henry Carter, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Many of today's photo-bags are designed for digital kits, and I am having difficulty finding the ideal bag for travelling with a Linhof 6X9 Technika (with 3 lenses, roll backs, film, etc).

I am trying out the Crumpler Brazillion Dollar Home, and it is a pretty good shoulder bag, but the camera is so big that it takes up half the bag, and the whole kit feels a little heavy after a while... Another possibility would be a backpack like the Crumpler Customary Barge.

Is there a shoulder bag, small pack, or sling bag that would work well with my kit, be allowed on a plane, that I can carry all day, and that I can use without leaving it on the ground to be stolen?

Thank-you for your suggestions.

2. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You could check-out LowePro, I got the CompuTrekker Plus AW, and it should hold your gear.
    It is allowed as a carry-on and has plenty of space.
    There is nothing Baby about yours, but they are great camera's.

Peter

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    For my Tech V 23b kit, I'm using the Urban Disguise 50. It can hold the camera sideways with grip and finder attached, and I think I've fit six lenses in there including the one on the camera, groundglass back and a rollfilm holder or a few Grafmatics, the usual accessories, and a laptop when I'm traveling. Depending on what non-photographic things you travel with, you could fit another rollfilm back, or if you don't need the laptop pocket for a laptop, it could hold quite a few filmholders, and there are side stretch pockets for things like bottles of water or a flash. It's a very smartly designed bag, also with a convenient hidden pocket for travel documents that's easy to reach with the bag on your shoulder, and other handy features.

When I have a laptop in the case (usually because I'm traveling on a plane), I usually leave the groundglass back on the camera, because it makes a slimmer package that isn't likely to protrude and crack the laptop screen, but when the laptop slot is empty, I usually leave a rollfilm back on, so I can just grab the camera, unfold, attach the cable release and shoot.

4. OP
    OP
    Henry Carter

Henry Carter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Many thanks for the suggestions!

5. OP
    OP
    Henry Carter

Henry Carter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The Think Tank Rotation 360 looks promising, and it was designed for on the fly photojournalism. It is a backpack with a built-in rotating waist pack which allows you to access items without taking the pack off. It also allows you to carry a tripod.

You store your camera body in the upper compartment, and when using your camera you carry it on your chest attached to the backpack straps. You access additional lenses and film backs etc. stored in the rotating waistpack:
    http://www.rotation360.com

Though designed for digital SLR based systems, it just might be big enough for a 6X9 Linhof Technika, 3 lenses, 2 roll film backs, film, light meter, tripod etc.

Could this be the ideal bag for all day urban excursions on foot with a MF kit?

6. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If it suits you, I suppose it could work, but I'm still happy with my UD50 bag. For a while I used a Kata waist pack and found it tended to sag after carrying it for a while and became uncomfortable, but that's a waist pack, and the Rotation 360 is a backpack. In the city I don't like backpacks, because they're an attraction to pickpockets and they can be impractical in crowded spaces like on public transportation (i.e., you have to be careful not to whack people when you turn around, so you end up having to take it off anyway on a bus or subway), and you have to take them off to sit down somewhere comfortably. I find it easier to work out of a shoulder bag in general, and the Urban Disguise bags are very practically designed.

7. OP
    OP
    Henry Carter

Henry Carter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks David.

Travelling with a Tech V 23b is a little like travelling with a hardcover edition of War and Peace instead of a smaller paperback edition of The Heart of a Dog.

I have seen the Urban Disguise 50 (and 60), and they certainly make excellent use of space compared to the large Crumpler bag that I have (Brazillion Dollar Home). After a while I find carrying the Crumpler bag to be heavy and akward when loaded with my Tech V 23b kit.

Would you consider travelling across India and trapsing around Delhi, Jaipur, Mumbai etc. all day long with a shoulder bag as opposed to a pack like the Rotation 360?

8. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I had a student once who split her copy of _War and Peace_ down the spine into two halves to make it easier to carry. Alas, it's not so easy with a camera.

I take my Crumpler Fux Deluxe with my 4x5" Tech V on full day hikes, and it works for me, but that may be a personal choice or maybe it just fits my anatomy.

I'd be even more concerned about international travel in crowded cities with a backpack, just because as a foreigner, one can be more vulnerable to pickpockets, and it's very easy to unzip or slice open a backpack without the wearer noticing immediately, so yes, I think I'd be more comfortable traveling around India with a shoulder bag than with a backpack. At the same time, when I don't feel I need to carry the whole kit, I often just take the camera out of the bag and put a lens or two and whatever odds and ends I need in my pockets while I'm out shooting.

9. OP
    OP
    Henry Carter

Henry Carter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks David,

I will look again at the Urban Disguise 50 & 60. They are very close in size (the 60 is only 1" taller and 1.5" longer than the 50).

It sounds like the 50 is big enough. Do you ever regret not having a 60 in place of the 50?

10. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No, the 50 has been just fine, and your kit sounds smaller than mine.