Members
Latest member
stngoldberg
Recent bookmarks

Kuby

Shooter
Medium Format
Hello,

Just kind of curious as to the toxicity of Kodak Final Rinse. It's the only chemical in the process that I touch frequently as I a) do the final rinse process in a separate dish and b) squeegee the recently stabilized film with my bare hands. I haven't had any issues up until this point, but I am curious if it might be bad to do over time. Also, if it does eventually cause me problems, what's the process for squeegeeing the film? (Probably buy a squeegee :redface:)

OP
OP
Kuby

Kuby

Shooter
Medium Format
Sounds like I probably shouldn't be doing what I'm doing eh. Thanks for the link.

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I don't know. I would follow the directions. Plastic gloves or chemical resistant gloves are a good idea. When I pull film off the reel (after the final rinse) I clip the film clip on the end of the film and pull straight up, I don't touch the wet film because I don't want to contaminate the film.
Jobo warns you to take the film off the reel before final rinse, stabilizer, Photo-flo etc. I think this is nuts. You end up getting chemicals all over and risk damaging the film.
Leave the film on the reel, dip it into the final rinse then clip onto the end and pull it off the reel and hang to dry. Then wash the reel.
I like washing film and then final rinse much better than the 3 bath stabilizer washless method used in minilabs.
Have fun be careful :smile: Safety glasses!

darkroommike

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I don't know. I would follow the directions. Plastic gloves or chemical resistant gloves are a good idea. When I pull film off the reel (after the final rinse) I clip the film clip on the end of the film and pull straight up, I don't touch the wet film because I don't want to contaminate the film.
Jobo warns you to take the film off the reel before final rinse, stabilizer, Photo-flo etc. I think this is nuts. You end up getting chemicals all over and risk damaging the film.
Leave the film on the reel, dip it into the final rinse then clip onto the end and pull it off the reel and hang to dry. Then wash the reel.
I like washing film and then final rinse much better than the 3 bath stabilizer washless method used in minilabs.
Have fun be careful :smile: Safety glasses!
Re: getting the Photoflo, stabilizer, what ever on the reels. I never worry, for two reasons.
  1. I rinse the reels, tanks, etc. with very warm water after processing, my water heater is set to 120 deg. F. and that's hot enough for me. All these final rinses are wetting agents, a fancy name for detergent, and detergents are 100% water soluble. And I take Paterson reels apart to get to the insides. Not much experience with JOBO but I assume something similar is possible.
  2. Using stainless steel will make your life even easier. But stainless is not for everyone. But I'll point out that stainless is really no more expensive than JOBO.

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Re: getting the Photoflo, stabilizer, what ever on the reels. I never worry, for two reasons.
  1. I rinse the reels, tanks, etc. with very warm water after processing, my water heater is set to 120 deg. F. and that's hot enough for me. All these final rinses are wetting agents, a fancy name for detergent, and detergents are 100% water soluble. And I take Paterson reels apart to get to the insides. Not much experience with JOBO but I assume something similar is possible.
  2. Using stainless steel will make your life even easier. But stainless is not for everyone. But I'll point out that stainless is really no more expensive than JOBO.
Stainless is 10 times easier than Jobo. I even bought Hewes reels for Jobo. Problem is that if you are processing a lot of film the stainless reels weigh so much it puts a strain on the motor. The Jobo machines are something to play with.

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Sounds like I probably shouldn't be doing what I'm doing eh. Thanks for the link.
I can't open the link to check but what is in this link to make you believe you shouldn't be doing what you describe you are doing? I use Ilfosol which is Ilford's equivalent. The dilution is 3 ml of rinse to 600ml of water I place the film in the rinse and swish it around then take off the excess water by running the film in between my middle fingers before hanging it up

What am I risking exactly?

Thanks

pentaxuser

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom