Tim Hall

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by CMoore, Jan 1, 2018.

1. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  2. rpavich

rpavich Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. Renato Tonelli

Renato Tonelli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wish he had organized his talks into smaller segments, but very instructive nonetheless.

4. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    He has two videos about B&W prints from transparencies which looked interesting but the first lasting 30 mins really told me nothing about the "how to". His examples were OK but that content seemed suitable for maybe 10 or 15 mins at the most. I have yet to look at Part II which I presume is the "how to" and that's 40 mins. I found him quite "hard going" to use what may be a British expression. I really had to "steel myself" to get through Part I which is a pity as I think he has useful stuff to impart.

pentaxuser

5. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well I just watched Part II and while he demonstrates what masking achieves very effectively, he refers the viewer to earlier videos of, presumably "how it is done" so it means looking at his earlier videos. Yes he does mention this at the start but it is almost as an after-thought in passing that you really need to have seen these earlier videos.

What he does do towards the end of Part II and it is nothing to do with rest of the video but interesting nevertheless, is demonstrate the effect of sunlight for one year on a West facing room on untoned and toned RC and FB prints by measuring Dmax with a densitometer. I suspect that a densitometer is a prerequisite for everything connected with his work making B&W prints from transparencies but I digress. Both the RC and FB had lost some Dmax but the FB less than the RC and the toned less than the untoned.

He then measures the Dmax of an inkjet which had only been in the same position for a week. It's loss was much smaller as was to be expected but my maths suggested that drop over another 51 weeks compared to the one week loss was going to be greater than the silver gelatin prints the assuming loss was at a constant level.

pentaxuser