Tiltall 4160

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Greg Heath, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Greg Heath

Greg Heath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    anybody have the specs for a TilTall 4160 Tripod ? Does it have a 1/4” or 3/8” upper mount screw ?

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've never seen a Tiltall that doesn't have a built-in head and a 1/4" camera screw. If you have a camera with a 3/8" screw, you could get a bushing for it. If the camera is too heavy for a 1/4" screw, it's too heavy for a Tiltall.

3. OP
    OP
    Greg Heath

Greg Heath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks. Im asking for a friend. I gifted him a 4x5 camera and he purchased the Tiltall tripod. The Cambo has a 3/8” socket so told him to get a 3/8” bushing for it. Thanks for the response.

4. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Tilt-All might work for a lightweight 4x5, I've used one with a Speed Graphic but it's a bit light for any monorail, if you do use it, make sure you get a good bushing, I've seen cheap bushings break and dump a camera to the ground.

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    not sure about the combo,
    but i used the tiltall with a graphic view II
    and it never let me down. great tripod !

6. OP
    OP
    Greg Heath

Greg Heath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It’s a Cambo SCX monorail.

I told him what to buy, but he purchased something else. Oh well.

7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've used Tiltall's with Calumet CC-401 and 400 cameras, also Cambo mono's, it will handle it.Calumet used to sell Tiltall tripods as recommended gear. Tell your buddy to take the tripod apart and give it a thorough cleaning, especially check for gunk build up inside the handle recess of the head. Dirt and grime build up in there makes it difficult to lock the head in position and allows for creep using tilt. Grit in the legs is also a problem, clean and polish the leg sections, plus a very light film(or car wax) of silicone lets them slide smoothly.

8. OP
    OP
    Greg Heath

Greg Heath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks. I’ll send the info to him.

9. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also check that the spikes screw in and out, thses often get dirty and corroded.

10. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Some of those Cambo/Calumet 4x5 cameras are really light (for a monorail). I had an entry level model that weighed only six pounds. I don't know what an SCX weighs.

11. Bipin

Bipin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use a Tiltall with the head removed and exchanged for a Linhof Profi II. I bought 1-1/4" aluminum tube stock, made a compression fitting on one end with a bunch of stacked washers, drilled a hole in them to accept a 3/8 screw, and attached the ball head. It'll take a ridiculous beating without coming apart. (I made a mock-up with leftover tube stock and a brick bolted to the compression fitting - smashed it on the ground, and it still held. Point being; the Tiltall legs are more than capable for what the head cannot hold, and with your own ball head, a mallet, and some files, you can fix what I'd consider to be the weakest link in the chain.