The Royal Photographic Society - Call for Analogue and Alternative Processes

Discussion in 'Call for Entries' started by sal, Apr 23, 2015.

1. sal

sal Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Royal Photographic Society’s International Print Exhibition – the world’s longest running photography exhibition – is open for entries until 1 June 2015: www.rps.org/ipe158

The Society invites photographers worldwide to submit work to the competition.

Whether you are working digitally, using film, or experimenting with more traditional photographic processes, all subjects, genres and styles of photography and can be entered. Entry is initially online as a submission of up to 4 images. The closing date is 1 June 2015.

This year’s selectors are:

Richard Billingham, Photographer and Professor of Fine Art
    Louise Clements, Co-founder / Artistic Director of FORMAT International Photography Festival and Artistic Director of QUAD, Derby
    Bridget Coaker, Picture editor at the Guardian, Writer and Curator
    Dewi Lewis, Publisher and Curator
    Simon Roberts, Photographer
    The chair of selectors is Roy Robertson HonFRPS, the immediate past President of The Society.

From the online entries a shortlist will be made (approx.600 images) and the final selection will be made from prints. 100 prints will be selected for the exhibition, opening at London’s Old Truman Brewery in October, as part of PHOTOBLOCK 2015. It will then tour the UK.

The Gold, Silver, Bronze and Under 30s Gold medal winners will receive cash prizes. In addition, the under-30 winner will also be offered a one-year mentorship courtesy of Metro Imaging.

The Royal Photographic Society’s Print Exhibition dates back to 1854 and is now in its 158th year. During its long history it has gained a reputation for showcasing a wide range of genres and styles of photography. Entry is open to everyone of any age or photographic level.

Past RPS exhibitions have included selenium and thiourea duo toned silver gelatine prints, toned cyanotypes and wet plate collodions and we look forward to seeing more film photography and alternative processes this year.

For competition enquiries please contact: exhibitions@rps.org

2. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I flatly refuse to submit a single entry unless Mr. Emerson is on the selection committee

3. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    +1

5. M Stat

M Stat Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I flatly refuse to submit any images for which I must pay for the privilege.

6. njrfoto

njrfoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ^--- Agreed...

7. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    +1:smile:

8. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Completely agree

9. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm lets not forget that if you want to enter and win the apug monthly challenge, you have to be a subscriber.

10. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know of any competition which doesn't have an entry fee. With the exception of on-line competitions, there are good reasons for them:
    1- Often, jurors receive a small payment for their time.
    2- The exhibition of accepted work have gallery costs, including advertising, wine/cheese, etc.
    3- Many have cash awards for winners.
    4- Most importantly (to me, anyway) is the fee ensures that those entering have enough confidence in their work, and are pursuing it seriously.

I've entered a bunch of them, and have no qualms about the fees. Sometimes I get in, sometimes I don't. I've won cash awards, and have also sold work at the exhibition.

11. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Is that the same P.H. Emerson who wrote this chapter that Bill Burke pointed us to the other day??: https://archive.org/stream/naturalisticphot00emerrich#page/254/mode/2up

It's very much worth reading, and any photograph that manages to pass every one of those criteria is the deserving winner

Edit: found google books version w/ pdf for download if you wan to read the whole book:

https://books.google.com/books?id=JuFIAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA254&dq=Hints+on+Art+in+Naturalistic+Photography+P.H.+Emerson&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvjqHksp3KAhUIzz4KHUwIAA0Q6AEILzAA#v=onepage&q=Hints%20on%20Art%20in%20Naturalistic%20Photography%20P.H.%20Emerson&f=false

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
  12. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The very same Mr Emerson, Nederino

13. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    That primate selfie would get my vote every time, no selfie stick just very long arm...
    But where is a Macaque to get the entry money?

14. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not correct.

You only need to be a subscriber if you want to choose and judge the next round.

15. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exactly correct, I think.

Which doesn't constitute a "win" in my book, and why I never enter it and did not enter it even when I was a subscriber myself.

We don't need to rehearse all the supposed justifications and rationalisations for that situation (usually around hosting and the gallery).

It discriminates against those who are unable or unwilling to pay a sub, just as any photo contest which requires an entry fee does.

It therefore ill behoves anyone at APUG to be holier-than-thou about contests which require fees when the membership here itself organises contests for which full participation requires someone to have paid a fee.

16. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've never thought it wrong for a photo contest to have a either a nominal entry fee or some other reasonable criteria (such as membership in an organization) before entries are accepted.