The M6 and Filters question please..

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by dwdmguy, Feb 19, 2009.

1. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would of course use my MF for landscape work but I would really see sometimes where I would enjoy a very long shutter for this. I have various Singh-Ray filters and I'm wondering how I could use them on this??

My fav, the Vari-ND whereas I can dial in ND from 2 to 8 stops would prob. work as I can hold it right in front of the lens but since the lens glass front is so small I don't think a Soft Stop ND would make much of a difference unless you got it just right.... and with a RangeFinder viewer, pretty impossible.

Does anyone use filters on theirs? Since I shoot mostly Tri-x a Red filter might be nice. Could I just hold a red 4x6 filter over this lens. Something different?

I gave (Giving) up a lot for this camera. But if I have something I really enjoy and I'll use EVERY day, it is so worth it. I'm loving MF too with 120.

Thanks so much.
    Tom

2. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    One of the nice things about a rangefinder is that you *don't* have to look through the filter while taking pictures. This is great for things like IR filters and B&W filters. Others kinds like polarizers and grad NDs are a bit more tricky to use so I don't.

So yes, I use them, but really only B&W and IR filters.

3. OP
    OP
    dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you much. I think I would only use the red filter. Can you please tell me if the quality is known to be good? Are there several different types? I'm not lazy just having a hard time finding the info.
    Thank you.
    Tom

4. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The filter size will be 39mm for a 50mm Summicron, and you'll certainly find these new from reputable companies like B&W. There are different shades of red, however, but the 25 seems a popular one.

http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/bwcolors.html

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.