Members
Latest member
MrClutch
Recent bookmarks

foc

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Has anyone pre-ordered one of these new cameras being marketed by Kodak?
I like the retro 126 looks of the front of the camera and the price appears very good US$49.99 / €47.50 / £40.50

kodak h35.jpg

https://retopro.co/collections/all

https://petapixel.com/2022/05/26/the-kodak-ektar-h35-shoots-two-photos-per-frame-of-35mm-film/

xkaes

Shooter
Multi Format
Welcome to LOMOGRAPHY. There are lots of half-frame (and other format) film cameras that have better features -- such as an adjustable aperture or shutter speed, or better lens -- for less money.

A two-element, fixed-focus, f9.5 lens and a single shutter speed for $50? You might as well buy a keychain 110.

At least the SUPERHEADZ half-frame cameras have an adjustable shutter speed and a hot shoe -- and MUCH better camera covers:

http://www.subclub.org/shop/superheadz.htm

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
I like the retro 126 looks of the front of the camera and the price appears very good US$49.99 / €47.50 / £40.50

View attachment 307911

https://retopro.co/collections/all

https://petapixel.com/2022/05/26/the-kodak-ektar-h35-shoots-two-photos-per-frame-of-35mm-film/

I love half-frames but $50 for a reusable disposable camera with a really slow lens? Dunno. Good for them for putting something interesting out but I'll stick with the used market for now.
Welcome to LOMOGRAPHY. There are lots of half-frame (and other format) film cameras that have better features -- such as an adjustable aperture or shutter speed, or better lens -- for less money.

A two-element, fixed-focus, f9.5 lens and a single shutter speed for $50? You might as well buy a keychain 110.

At least the SUPERHEADZ half-frame cameras have an adjustable shutter speed and a hot shoe -- and MUCH better camera covers:

http://www.subclub.org/shop/superheadz.htm

Still quite pricy. That's what it is though. My Univex was cheaper.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Yes, it is relatively easy for someone with decent knowledge to pay less for a used camera that works.
But that was also the case when people were buying Instamatic 104s by the millions.
$50 now is around the same price as those Instamatic 104 "Open Me First" kits back then.
Different products for a different market.

Shooter
Traditional
This is what the Reto Ultrawide & Slim probably should have been in the first place; convert one of those to half-frame and add a flash and you've got an H35.

The images coming out of this thing won't look anything like your cell phone, which is definitely the point. A 126-style, square format is another direction to go with this, but it would probably confuse the hell out of most lab scanners; half frame is usually straightforward to scan with the best results accounting for the black bar running down the center of the frame.

Fuji follows this scheme with Instax offering Mini (half-frame), Wide (full-frame), and Square formats.

I wouldn't try putting ektachrome through one, but I would recommend it to a particular type of person that wanted to get into shooting film.

busrider

Shooter
Hybrid
It isn't made by or for Kodak, it is made by retropro.co. They made those metal film cases too and just use the Kodak name. It seems KODAK has become a ZOMBIE company like POLAROID, there are also KODAK AA batteries I can get at any CVS farmacy on my route. At least they will not make KODAK Vodka and KODAK Steaks and fund an imaginary KODAK University.

Shooter
Traditional
'Kodak' has a tragically complex corporate structure attached to it which has been described in detail elsewhere on photrio (Alaris, Eastman, SinoPromise). Your hot take illustrates a naïve and uninformed view of the situation, especially with the comparison to Polaroid, but hey this is the internet after all.

Even bus riders can be pundits.... maybe even president some day.

busrider

Shooter
Hybrid
You might think it is tragically uninformed and naive but I have read the musings of Drs Mowrey and Shanebrook for years. Since the announcement that KODA|< shut down it's paper companies in South America and Peres shouted from the treetops that FILM IS DEAD, they allowed the company that license their chemistry to release to ruined chemistry with their name on it, they shuttered their world class processing plants, only have 1 building left in Rochester, except for the tower with their name on it. Sure I am uninformed. Polaroid was purchased by Jamie DaimonD who owns CITIBANK, because he loves polaroid instant film, and then he bankrupted the company . PEREZ drove Koda|< into the ground. Of the thousands of people I used to see in Rochester at the station, only a few are left and when 38 goes hello batteries at CVS. I am hoping for KODA|< Bottled Water to be honest, I drink a lot of water.

Last edited:

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format

Not marketed "by" Kodak but "under "Kodak. I mean, neither Kodak nor Kodak Alaris offer it.

xkaes

Shooter
Multi Format
And let's not forget Yashica, Minolta, and many other old great names in photography -- still producing cameras with their names on them. OK, some other Chinese company is slapping their name on it. The digital Yashica Y35 (where you set the ISO, etc. by loading fake film cassettes) has apparently been a success -- even though the camera is junk. And the Minolta name still sells digital cameras for you or your car's dashboard. Sharan sells tiny Pen F and Contax, etc. "copies" that use Minox cassettes.

I won't be surprised to see other popular, but defunct, camera names appear in strange places -- Konica, Petri, Rokkor..............

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
Your hot take illustrates a naïve and uninformed view of the situation.

Well, then I am in de dumb-club too....

Let me explain:
Kodak licence to other entities their name to be put on those entities' products, if they apply for it.

This basically has nothing to do with Kodak Alaris, Sino Promise or such, but is a side-business of Kodak themselves.

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format

I got a great variety of cameras of this plastic kind, never paid more than 3€. A extra of 45€ for its design is not worth to me.
Concerning the half-frame feature, I got a variety of better half-frame cameras. Also bought for a few Euros.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format

busrider

Shooter
Hybrid
Well, then I am in de dumb-club too....

Let me explain:
Kodak licence to other entities their name to be put on those entities' products, if they apply for it.

This basically has nothing to do with Kodak Alaris, Sino Promise or such, but is a side-business of Kodak themselves.

Yes, it is just a licensing thing that is always a "side gig" in this new "gig" economy. It is found on the retropro website and they say they are making it, not KODA|<

I won't be surprised to see other popular, but defunct, camera names appear in strange places -- Konica, Petri, Rokkor..............
Argus made a digital camera a few years ago, it wasn't really Argus and Honeywell makes LED lights,. well, not really Honeywell.
If you look at Captain Amazing's unitard I think there is a KODA|< Patch

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
Depends on what "popular" means. Photo brands for the most have vanished in short time out of collective memory.
Such brands to be used today must be still, or rather again(!), be popular at young folks.

xkaes

Shooter
Multi Format
For my money, it looks much more like the Kodak Instamatic 304 -- which undoubtedly takes better pictures.

kodak304.jpg

xkaes

Shooter
Multi Format
Argus, Exakta, and Zenit are three other "hysterical" names that have been used by Seagull to produce some -- actually very good -- cameras:

argus.jpg

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
Last edited:

busrider

Shooter
Hybrid
Thank You!! Then I indeed belong to the dumb club...

But I still assume it is just advertizing. And otherwise it might be an infringement of Kodak's contract with Kodak Alaris (a contract though none of us knows...)
Well, I just see Kodak even got it in their shop.

It is advertising, don't be fooled.

"RETO Production Ltd. ("RETO"), established in year 2018, was formed by a group of young enthusiastic analog lovers. Our team aims to make film photography continue to flourish, by reinventing and creating affordable, well-tailored film products. Now, we are working as a Brand Licensee of Eastman Kodak Company on producing the KODAK Film Case, an essential piece for every film professional or hobbyist to protect and organise film rolls.
Before that, our very first invention was the RETO3D film camera, a stereo camera which is lightweight and handy. It was a product created solely by RETO. To know more about it, please visit: www.retoproject.com
We shall continue to develop more film cameras and accessories in the future, and we shall reinvent, together!"

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
I think the marketing is probably a collaboration between Eastman Kodak - who own the trademark rights - and the manufacturer and more direct seller, RETO Production Ltd., who license the mark.
As it says in the link,
"Copyright © 2022 RETO Production Ltd.
The Kodak and Ektar trademark, Kodak logo and trade dress are used under license from Kodak."
AFAIK, Kodak Alaris has no marketing rights for Kodak branded cameras, other than the disposable versions.
Eastman Kodak does this sort of thing with a huge variety of stuff. Here is another screen-shot of another page from their website - anyone here looking for a Kodak branded baby monitor?
1655070001415.png

momus

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
For that kind of money one could buy a real 35mm film camera. Might not be half frame, but just crop the shots.

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
I was not aware Kodak had now a consumer-shop for still-analog products!
In the past such was hot-linked to the Kodak Alaris site instead!

I was so sure of this that today I did not even check, but only at the Kodak Alaris site (though their logo is different).

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
For that kind of money one could buy a real 35mm film camera. Might not be half frame, but just crop the shots.

But for that kind of money, there isn't many ways that a retailer can buy and retail a new camera, in new box and with warranty.

xkaes

Shooter
Multi Format
Kodak is about the only major camera manufacturer that did not make a half-frame camera. For Pete's Sake,, even Leica did.

The reason? Half-frames were very hot once. I guess they thought it meant they would sell less film.

In any event, Kodak will now be added to the LONG list of half-frame camera makers.

http://www.subclub.org/shop/halframe.htm

Better late than never.

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
I was not aware Kodak had now a consumer-shop for still-analog products!
In the past such was hot-linked to the Kodak Alaris site instead!

I just checked, as fas as I can see that new shop was installed last year.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom